Studying Scripture DAILY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying Scripture DAILY

This thread is going to require honesty from folks. Recently, I preached a sermon on this and later might provide that link. It would be a bit lacking without the visual but I will try and explain what we did so when you listen to the MP3 you will understand more clearly. All of that a bit later... let's see how the poll comes out for a while.

I am not looking for morning devotional type stuff or just reading to read. I am talking getting into the Word for the purpose of digging deeper into the truths of God and His ways. Don't fret... I am not dogging devotionals. Just not what I am looking for here. Not dogging "just reading" either. Just not what I am looking for here.

This doesn't have to be ALL at one time. Can be every day throughout the day. Doesn't even have to be EVERY day but if I study one hour on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday then I can easily check 30 minutes. THe average time a week is fine. I also know that most of us don't keep a timer by us when studying... just guestimate and be as honest as you can be in the guess.

The results are private so no one can see your results.
    Not Often Enough to Count
    3.45%
    15 minutes
    10.34%
    30 minutes
    27.59%
    Hour
    17.24%
    2 Hours
    13.79%
    3 Hours or More
    27.59%

The poll is expired.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Daily?

Let me be the first to say I do not daily.

I may grab three to four hours then not again for three to four days.

I voted the poll as I felt was my average daily and encourage others to do the same.

Comment

Digging deeper I can completely understand. Sadly, even the time I dig deeper probably is not enough.
      I cant wait to hear that sermon.
      I'm Sara
      "Jesus wept." John 11:35
      Praying for my sister Mieke.
      sigpic

Comment

Spread over a week, I'd estimate 8-10 hours, but most of those are at the weekend, with the odd stint on weekday evenings once I've done dinner and laundry and boring stuff like that. I try to keep weekends free for that very purpose.

Comment

Well...how to answer this? I read the bible nearly every day...I don't watch the time though...I wanted to read through Acts on so I am determined to stay on that goal as I tend to get side tracked looking up other things in the bible then I am all over the place... So in my private offline bible reading I am sticking to that goal..currently I am in Hebrews which I am really enjoying...but online is where I do my more indepth bible studying. I usually do them in response to a topic on the board here...I read commentaries, check lexicons, look up maps if needed, check bible Encyclopedias...and so forth. I don't have the money to buy all these study books so I use what is free online. I know I spend hours upon hours doing this most days. I learn best by interacting with the members on here in these studies then just reading the bible myself alone...though I do think that is important. But I don't know if this counts..if this is what you are looking for or just private time reading offline. Also I like using bible gateway and comparing different translations too in my studies. I won't select anything on the poll until I know more of what you are looking for...

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
            Well...how to answer this? I read the bible nearly every day...I don't watch the time though...I wanted to read through Acts on so I am determined to stay on that goal as I tend to get side tracked looking up other things in the bible then I am all over the place... So in my private offline bible reading I am sticking to that goal..currently I am in Hebrews which I am really enjoying...but online is where I do my more indepth bible studying. I usually do them in response to a topic on the board here...I read commentaries, check lexicons, look up maps if needed, check bible Encyclopedias...and so forth. I don't have the money to buy all these study books so I use what is free online. I know I spend hours upon hours doing this most days. I learn best by interacting with the members on here in these studies then just reading the bible myself alone...though I do think that is important. But I don't know if this counts..if this is what you are looking for or just private time reading offline. Also I like using bible gateway and comparing different translations too in my studies. I won't select anything on the poll until I know more of what you are looking for...

God bless
            More on the private time. Doesn't matter the means that you privately study... lots of folks use their computer because of the vast amount of resources available on line... would cost a fortune if you purchased it all in print form. Discussion on the forums doesn't count though. While that is somewhat "study"... it really falls a bit short of what I am talking about.

Visit our new website
            ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
            "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
              This thread is going to require honesty from folks. Recently, I preached a sermon on this and later might provide that link. It would be a bit lacking without the visual but I will try and explain what we did so when you listen to the MP3 you will understand more clearly. All of that a bit later... let's see how the poll comes out for a while.

I am not looking for morning devotional type stuff or just reading to read. I am talking getting into the Word for the purpose of digging deeper into the truths of God and His ways. Don't fret... I am not dogging devotionals. Just not what I am looking for here. Not dogging "just reading" either. Just not what I am looking for here.

This doesn't have to be ALL at one time. Can be every day throughout the day. Doesn't even have to be EVERY day but if I study one hour on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday then I can easily check 30 minutes. THe average time a week is fine. I also know that most of us don't keep a timer by us when studying... just guestimate and be as honest as you can be in the guess.

The results are private so no one can see your results.

I posted 1 hour daily, however I usually spend much more time than that. You said, digging deeper, I wasn't sure exactly what would fall under digging deeper. I listen to most of my teaching, so some days I can be listening for hours as I do other things.

Comment

This is a difficult poll for me to answer for there is no concrete time. Sometimes I get up and spend time in worship and reading and devotional. But then, the Lord may speak to me about something in particular and it's off to the races. So one day may be 15 minutes. Another day might be an hour. Yet another day could be 4 or 5 hours. It all depends on what he is saying to me at the moment. Sometimes we eat a snack together (15 minutes) and sometimes we have a four course meal! Most of it is at His discresion and my willingness. Certainly I can't just decide that I am going to spend 2 hours a day reading and digging. For if he's not involved in it, I can hardly spend 5 minutes reading and digging!

Much of this I would think would depend on giftings and callings as well. Those with the gift of teaching will be more inclined to spend more time in the scriptures. IMO, the difference between a layman and a pastor/teacher is that what happens after each gets a nugget. The laymen learned something from God and rejoices as he should! The pastor/teacher, because of his gifting, mines the nugget and looks for the gold mine. I would not expect all to spend the same amount of time in the word.
                Matt 9:13
                13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                NASU

Comment

I have posted many times that I believe daily bible study is the best way, if at all possible. Not to read a huge amount, perhaps a chapter, but it is to keep you constantly in the Wisdom of God and as Psalm 1:2 says - But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

This year I'm reading 2 chapters a day (which I did last year) and I've added a Psalm. I read this chapters seperately, to let my mind dwell on each and develope the meaning as I do daily chores.

Each evening I read a different chapter with my eldest 3 sons and we discuss each part of it. At 15 1/2, 14 & 12, they can have a lot to say.

I clicked half an hour thinking of my personal reading, with my joint reading with my children I suppose an hour.

But I also read for fun (terrible expression in this case) in a different translation at bedtimes. I pick a bible book and just read a chapter or 2, but not every night. If my wife is reading a romantic novel, and I can't stand fiction - I feel I might as well be in the Word of God.

This level of reading took 11 years to reach and certainly isn't for all Christians. But I do feel a little and often, is better than reading a whole book once a week. To get that sense of God's Wisdom always being on top of your mind, in your heart and on your lips. Love SofTy.
                  1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Anyone else do that thing where when you can't study, like when you are driving or something, and you have this whole thing in your head and by the time you can sit down and go through it you already have half of it studied? So when you sit down it's like having the "kicker" revealed in what the Spirit gave you. If I counted that - well, not sure. That's really quite a bit more than sitting with scripture, pen, paper.
                    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                    Not second or third, but first.
                    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                    when He is the source of all hope,
                    when His love is received and freely given,
                    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                    will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
                      Anyone else do that thing where when you can't study, like when you are driving or something, and you have this whole thing in your head and by the time you can sit down and go through it you already have half of it studied? So when you sit down it's like having the "kicker" revealed in what the Spirit gave you. If I counted that - well, not sure. That's really quite a bit more than sitting with scripture, pen, paper.
                      Amen! I have had God give me understanding in 5 minutes then have to go and dig out the scripture for it later. No doubt that occurs. It's like Psalms 1 or Psalms 119 when it speaks on meditation.
                      Matt 9:13
                      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                      NASU

Comment

If the topic catches me, and I am not pressed for time..... as long as it takes...

On Saturdays there is no limit to time,,,, other days,,, well it depends....
                        The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                        God plants in our hearts
                        to remind us
                        there are better things ahead.
                        -Holley Gerth

Comment

What is the worst for me is when I receive a revelation.... on such a deep level, and I excitedly share that with somebody else, they have no cooking clue what I am about.... and don't even care to try to understand
                          The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                          God plants in our hearts
                          to remind us
                          there are better things ahead.
                          -Holley Gerth

Comment

I put 2 hours, which I often get more and sometimes less, but on average 2 hours. I feel it is a blessing that I have managed to have a job that gives me enough freedom to work in some study time, and my wife has been very supportive for me to devote time at home to study without distractions.

I also feel that having the drive and passion to study God's Word is a gift from God. We all have different gifts to serve God, and this happens to be mine. But it is necessary to understand that if anyone has this gift to not get arrogant about it and look down on others who struggle to learn God's Word, because there are those out there that are gifted in helping the poor, visiting the sick, comforting those who lose loved ones, etc. that may not know much about the Bible but I'd probaby be better standing in their shoes when standing at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Another thing, one thing that helps me is to spend some time after studying to just meditate on what I have done

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              I put 2 hours, which I often get more and sometimes less, but on average 2 hours. I feel it is a blessing that I have managed to have a job that gives me enough freedom to work in some study time, and my wife has been very supportive for me to devote time at home to study without distractions.

I also feel that having the drive and passion to study God's Word is a gift from God. We all have different gifts to serve God, and this happens to be mine. But it is necessary to understand that if anyone has this gift to not get arrogant about it and look down on others who struggle to learn God's Word, because there are those out there that are gifted in helping the poor, visiting the sick, comforting those who lose loved ones, etc. that may not know much about the Bible but I'd probaby be better standing in their shoes when standing at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Another thing, one thing that helps me is to spend some time after studying to just meditate on what I have done
                              Is it really a gift of God or is it more along the line of desire?

Let me give an example. I desire to win a video game. I will turn on the video game and play it and play it and play it. Hours on end until I master the game and beat the game. I then move on to the next video game that I desire to master. Has nothing to do with a "gift" because I am not gifted at playing that game. It has to do with my desire to beat the game thus I play it and play it and play it and every time... get better and better at the game.

Same can be said of an athlete... student of any subject... shopping... doing make-up, cutting hair... gardening... running... walking... playing an instrument... etc. None of those things I begin doing as a gifted doer of that thing. The more that I desire it the more I do it and the more I do it the more gifted I become. Now... folks can have talents that make them better suited for various desires. Folks can have cordination skills that make them better at various things... but no one just sits down and the piano and all the sudden they play a masterpiece.

Make sense?

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Working...
                              X