Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit Those In Prison

How often do you visit those in prison?

It isn't an easy thing to do now days. The laws have made it very complicated truth be told. But then we aren't confined to actually having to phsyically go down to the nearest prison and fight through the bureaucratic red tape only to find it an exercise in futility... we can spend a few dollars and purchase stamps and send them mail. Talk to a prisoner in jail and you will find that mail call is much like it is in the military... one of the highlights of a normally nasty day. So... question is out there... how often do we contact those in prison?
    Never. Not opposed to it but just never have done this.
    50.00%
    Not that I would be opposed but I never thought about a letter.
    15.38%
    I visit prisons regularly
    3.85%
    I mail to prisoner(s) regularly
    23.08%
    This is legalism and not required
    0.00%
    I have no desire to speak to someone in prison via personally or otherwise
    7.69%

The poll is expired.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

I did correspond with one lad in prison in another part of the UK, as did others, and he became a Christian while there which was fantastic. I've never done visiting though.

Comment

How do you find out who to send a letter to? Is there a open list of prisoners names somewhere and do you flip a coin on who to send a letter to?
      Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
      -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

I love the prison ministry.
        One of the best experiences of my life has been spending three days with hopeless men. ALL of whom feel as if what they've done can never be forgiven. This could be Driving drunk or murder. ALL of them have been convinced that the blood of Christ will never wash them clean. Oh what a day when they wake up from their sleeping and accept the gift of salvation.
        I have been very blessed being with these men. I look forward to another opportunity to serve the Lord behind bars.

Comment

Originally posted by diffangle View Post
          How do you find out who to send a letter to? Is there a open list of prisoners names somewhere and do you flip a coin on who to send a letter to?
          Most times... you can contact the prison chaplain. Females can mail females and males males and that is generally best. But the chaplains will put you into contact with one of the Christian inmates that hasn't a lot of contact with someone outside... someone that needs the fellowship and encouragement etc. If you can't find someone that way... shoot me a PM and I will get you someone that could use the encouragement.

Visit our new website
          ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
          "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

I think the prison ministry is great, but not for me. I have known far too many people who could not accept the hurt that they inflicted on others by going to prison and almost seem self righteous about it. Before this, I did do some small amount of ministry. I am not angry at the people in my experiences and I do not doubt that God can turn anyone's life aroud, I just have come to see that it's not something I am gifted at. I am nearly incapable of empathy and become too much involved in peoples lives to be any help to them....
            So I think it's good, and I'll pray for those incarcerated, but I am not inclined to visit them or otherwise correspond with prisoners.
            Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
            Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
            Isaiah 26:9

Comment

I don't know if my ex would be counted in this since he is in prison and I rarely write him...don't really want too! But I have tried to encourage him to turn to the Lord and sent little Christian booklets. And I have prayed for him.

To be honest prison and jails terrify me being a female I really don't want to go there...second, I have heard too many stories of people being conned by them saying they have changed or are believers and things end badly. People starting out doing this and get so attached they marry the person in prison who will be their for years and years and years...I guess I have watched too many prison documentaries showing both males and females in prison....now if my memory serve me right, there is a website for Christians jailed in other countries that people can write too. Though I am not sure how they let them get mail... I should find out.

God bless
              "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Was Jesus speaking of criminals or was He speaking of people who the Pharisees had locked up because of their own warped views? Was He prophecying of His saints and apostles? Paul had many visitors.

I didn't vote, that's a special calling. And one that needs much discernment as Charles Colson warns.

Neat theme today though! I thank you PP for the prompt of self-examination.
                Heb 10:31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

It is a wonderful thing to be predestined, elected and to believe by faith by virture of His irresitible grace and His limited atonement. Calvie, premill, dispie and full of cats. I love you too!

Comment

I correspond with some who I met in prison while I myself was an inmate. I als take phone calls and occasionally send funds.

The jails and prisons are a rich mission field--but as always, walk circumspectly.
                  Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

There's always such a hunger in those places for healing and guidance. It's a blessed thing when a man becomes broken before God from his sins and accepts the Lord into his heart with all purity and obedience.

Some say they may not be fit for visiting people in prisons, but God said we are to visit the orphans and the widowed and the poor, which I believe counts as prisons...but I realize some are not ready for that yet - and God must get you there in His timing.

My next hurdle is hospitals. Oh how I want to visit the hospitals but I don't know how they do that there. Do you have to know the person? Any ideas? (Not to hijack the thread, just curious)

Comment

Also wanted to point out that feeding the poor, visiting the prisons, are especially refferrring to visiting the body of Christ. We should especially be concerened with other BELIEVERS in jails, etc. Thats why Jesus said as much as you did it to these, you have done it to me. Jesus identifies Himself with those who have been helped, similar to when He told Paul he was persecuting Him. Just wanted to point that out

Comment

To reinforce the correct perspective on the use of the phrase "visit those in prison" when found in the new testament writings of our bible:

Don't be mislead and confused, walk in the light provided by the whole word of God...
                        At the time when this phrase was coined "visit those in prison" christian's were imprisoned just for being christian's, and visiting them in prison put the visitor at risk of being imprisoned themselves for being a christian or for just being a christian sympathizer. (get the picture?)
                        Meaning we as children born from above are not charged by this phrase "visit those in prison" we are not charge to go into local prisons and minister to thieves, degenerates, rapist, plunderers and murderers, but charged to minister to our brethren who are persecuted or imprisoned because of their faith in Gods word. (BTW there are still places on the globe where our brethren are imprisoned just for being christian's and no other reason)
                        Not that we should not also show mercy to thieves, degenerates, rapist, plunderers and murderers in our prisons and jails, but just that this is not what is meant when the phrase "visit those in prison" is used in new testament writings of our bible.

The good steward/servant of the Father will seal their mind with the knowledge given them by the Father when they feed and digest His word. (Not digest verses or phrases found in His word, but digest the whole word of God)
                        Study and digest the letter 'He sent to you' in His written word, it will seal your mind so that no mans teachings, opinions or poll results will be able to confuse or mislead you out of His light.
                        Last edited by walked; Jan 13th 2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I have a prison pen pal through Someone Cares. I haven't been a great pen pal, but I am doing better and vow to the LORD to correspond with my pen pal more. I have signed up for prison ministry with my church and hope to participate this year.
                          sigpic

Comment

Being a woman, and since my husband always tended to object to my asking about visiting jails or prisons...over the years as I have learned about some person in prison who didn't get mail or hardly ever got any...I have written to, and always ask my husband to read it before I mail it. I sign it with his name and mine, and usually type it.

To others, one being Qbee's son, I have tried to send things now and then, especially before Christmas. (Many of us remember Qbee here! A precious lady filled with mercy and wisdom. She can't be here much any more. I miss her.) I send little inspirational things, and short Bible studies, and whatever is allowed on their lists at Christmas, etc.

Both my husband and I feel it is a much needed ministry, and we have continued to write to some who indeed turned to Christ. We kept in contact for awhile with some after their release, and we both love hearing from them when they tell us they are now living with a sister or some other relative, and have found a church, and still live for the Lord.

Its really not hard to find someone in jail or prison. But then again, perhaps its really the Lord who allows us to find out about them, and lays the burden on our heart to begin writing.

Right now, I have a friend whose son is in prison, and he is my letter-receiver at this time. We have met him, and that makes it easier to write, when its someone we have met. In fact, at one time, he and his Mom needed a place to stay and we took them both into our home for a few months.

She told me that her son tells her all the time, "I am so sorry that I've let good people down; people like Bill and Judy." (Us) When I write, I don't bring up what he's done. I just talk about life in general, what the weather is like, places we go, things we do (like our family ALL gathering here for Thanksgiving) and send little inspirational things now and then. And perhaps a photo occasionally.

I don't try to "preach" to him because I am not a preacher. But I do pray I can teach him, be a teacher that can help him turn his life around.
                            My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

I believe it is a much needed ministry. I also believe that God calls those to do so, whether it be going into the jails, or writing letters to ones in jail. Jail is a place for one to go for correction. Many people in jails and prisons will never hear the gospel unless somoene on the outside delivers it to them. I know they have church services and things like that but if you are in a cell with 3 or 4 or 5 non believers that never talk about Christ and may have never heard about him those guys wont' be a witness to each other. If we can send it to them from the outside or do some sort of ministry then I think we should, but as I mentioned it will be from God. Pray about it, if you ask God to show you someone or reveal a name or something like that, you will find it.

My father in law is in prison and I go visit him regularly. I see the people he is in there with and hear stories. Many of the guys need to be saved. Who will do it if we don't?
                              www.showhismercy.blogspot.com <<--------My new blog spot...check it out if you have time.

Comment

Working...
                              X