what is the gospel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the gospel?

this is a simple question but is a source of a lot confusion in the church today. thanks in advance for your answers. yaza

Easy. Gosple can literally be translated as "Good News" (in fact, this is how the World English Bible, as well as others, translate it). The Gosple is the Good News of God becoming man and dying on the cross, and resurecting, so that those who believe in Him may be saved.
    What I believe: Heidelberg Catechism | Canons of Dordt | Belgic Confession

Comment

Originally posted by yaza View Post
      this is a simple question but is a source of a lot confusion in the church today. thanks in advance for your answers. yaza
      See 1 Cor 15:1-5

Comment

From Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel

In Christianity, a gospel (from Old English, " good news") is generally one of four canonical books of the New Testament that describe the birth, life, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus..

The four canonical texts are the Gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, probably written between 65 and 100 AD. They appear to have been originally untitled; they were quoted anonymously in the first half of the second century (ie 100 - 150) but the names by which they are currently known appear suddenly around the year 180.

The first canonical gospel written is Mark (c 65-70), which was probably used as a source for the gospels of Matthew and Luke. Matthew and Luke appear also to have used a common source, the hypothetical Q document.

These first three gospels are called the synoptic gospels because they share a similar view. The last gospel, the gospel of John, presents a very different picture of Jesus and his ministry from the synoptics. Scholars maintain that the gospels and all the books of the New Testament were written in Greek.

Comment

I wrote this blog entry, which is one significant aspect of the gospel in my opinion.

http://reformedreasoning.blogspot.co...is-gospel.html
          If we doubt or do not believe that God is gracious to us and is pleased with us, or if we presumptuously expect to please Him only through and after our works, then it is all pure deception, outwardly honoring God, but inwardly setting up self as a false [savior].... (Part X. XI) Excerpts from Martin Luther, Treatise Concerning Good Works (1520).

Comment

The Proclamation of the Grace and Mercy of God, manifested in the Person of Jesus the Christ, God manifest in the flesh, and His Salvation thru the belief of Jesus Christ's Atoning Work on the bloody tree and Faith in that... which took place on Golgotha..

The Good News is that He provided a 'Way'... and "Salvation"... and its thru His Son and His Name is Jesus... that thru Him.. there is 'repentance' and the 'remission of sins'.
            Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
            ------------------------------------------------
            Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
            ------------------------------------------------
            The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
            Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

The gospel is simple: Jesus Christ became a human being and died in our place for our sins so that we can receive the free gift of eternal life by faith... alone. It's a gift.

Don't let anyone convince you that works are involved in any way.

BD
              3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog View Post
                The gospel is simple: Jesus Christ became a human being and died in our place for our sins so that we can receive the free gift of eternal life by faith... alone. It's a gift.

Don't let anyone convince you that works are involved in any way.

BD
                Works must follow salvation.
                Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
                  Works must follow salvation.
                  Works will follow faith. And who can judge how much works will follow our having become a new creature? If they must follow salvation, then we are saved by works. And faith and even a little works is works:

Romans 11:6 Now if it is by grace, then it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace ceases to be grace.

BD
                  3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog View Post
                    Works will follow faith. And who can judge how much works will follow our having become a new creature? If they must follow salvation, then we are saved by works. And faith and even a little works is works:

Romans 11:6 Now if it is by grace, then it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace ceases to be grace.

BD
                    Works is a product of faith. The simple act of believing in something that is not seen takes an action even if that action is only in your mind.

James 2

26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
                    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                    Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Well, everyone has posted half the gospel. Anyone gonna post the other half?

Comment

Originally posted by thepenitent View Post
                        See 1 Cor 15:1-5
                        Indeed!

Also see Romans 1:1-4 and Romans 10:4-17.

But it would appear, as Sirus may be alluding to - that the rest of the gospel is found in Ephesians 3:1-6, 1 Corinthians 15:51-55 and Thessalonians 4:13-18. Namely that the Gentiles should be fellowheirs and of the same body and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel - and that we shall all be changed at the return of our Lord Jesus Christ to meet him in the air and forever be with the Lord! (The hope of Christ's return)

I encourage anyone reading this thread to take a minute and read those sections yourself in light of the good news concerning Christ. For the messiah was finally born, died for our sins, was raised from the dead by God and God has indeed made him Lord. We ought to believe this and look forward to the hope of his return - all the while enjoying that the Gentiles (most of us posting here) are fellowheirs and of the same body (of Christ) and partakers of God's promise in Christ by the good news / gospel.

Comment

Actually no, but good guess.... I was referring to Christ's death including our death burial and resurrection to newness of life here and now -born again. That it is effectual in this life experientially to free us from all sin here and now so that the righteousness in the law is fulfilled in us who believe and walk after the Spirit baptism into Christ. The shortest sweetest passage for this is....

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
                          2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
                          2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
                          2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
                            Actually no, but good guess.... I was referring to Christ's death including our death burial and resurrection to newness of life here and now -born again. That it is effectual in this life experientially to free us from all sin here and now so that the righteousness in the law is fulfilled in us who believe and walk after the Spirit baptism into Christ. The shortest sweetest verse for this is....

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
                            Good reminder.

This verse, that I mentioned, goes along as well:
                            Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

We sure weren't righteous before believing - and now look at what he has made us!

Comment

Right but if the gospel doesn't in fact make a man righteous experientially then it is no better than the law that was weak through the flesh. But it is better and does make us righteous in experience because the flesh that made the law weak is crucified with Christ yet we live, but it is not us, but Christ in us, that we may bring forth fruit unto holiness.

Comment

Working...
                              X