We are saved for good works / we are saved because of good works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are saved for good works / we are saved because of good works

Just what it says. All the polls posted by ProjectPeter ... are they to please God FOR our salvation, or are they outpourings of fruit BECAUSE of our salvation?
    In order to DO good works
    100.00%
    Because we do good works
    0.00%
    If we doubt or do not believe that God is gracious to us and is pleased with us, or if we presumptuously expect to please Him only through and after our works, then it is all pure deception, outwardly honoring God, but inwardly setting up self as a false [savior].... (Part X. XI) Excerpts from Martin Luther, Treatise Concerning Good Works (1520).

I believe that we cannot do good works for salvation. I also believe that God does not need us. So my good works have nothing to do with salvation or needs. I think that any good work that I do allows me to communicate and feel closer to God in this earthly life. I do think that my Father enjoys it when I help someone.

Comment

I say "because of"
      honestly, i just believe in being the bset person you can, and not doing it to seek reward.
      so even without the biblical aspect, i think it should be "because i have been so blessed, i am able to share this or that or the next thing"
      sort of like a pass it on deal
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
      Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
      Isaiah 26:9

Comment

The answer to your question is both.

Comment

Originally posted by humbled View Post
          Just what it says. All the polls posted by ProjectPeter ... are they to please God FOR our salvation, or are they outpourings of fruit BECAUSE of our salvation?
          ------------------------------------------------------------------

For we are His workmanship,

created 'in Christ Jesus' unto good works,

which God hath before ordained that we should 'walk in them.'

Ephesians: 2: 10

__________________________________________________ _

There is not enough good works you can do to warrant salvation .. Christ has 'completed' it.. "it is Finished"...............

He did what we could never do or accomplish...

Living a pure and sinless life in the flesh...and being God's perfect Sacrafice.. the Lamb Slain before the foundation of the world... on that bloody tree..

The good works are a product of our walk 'in Him'... abiding in Him.. an extension of Him... He 'ordains' them and we walk in them thru the Power of the Holy Ghost.. and it even says God ordained them before a person is even Born Again... He 'knows' ahead of time... "before ordained"...

It has to do with God Himself... as His Son works thru His Children... His True Body.. the Body of Christ.. which is 'not divided'.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
          ------------------------------------------------
          Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
          ------------------------------------------------
          The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
          Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Grace by faith in order to do good works not because of.

Comment

Since not much of those biblical good works are not being done (they really aren't if we're honest) then what does that say about those "saved?" Hopefully folks will at least ponder that point.

Visit our new website
              ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
              "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                Since not much of those biblical good works are not being done (they really aren't if we're honest) then what does that say about those "saved?" Hopefully folks will at least ponder that point.
                Excellent point!

Comment

I thought about choosing "by good works" just because I knew nobody else would..then I thought...what if Jesus showed me this poll on the day of Judgment?

:gulp:
                  Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Comment

The Bible clearly says we are not saved by works (emphasis is mine)

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
                    Eph 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
                    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

Let us not forget that no task is a fruit of the Spirit.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

You have the fruits of the Spirit in contrast to the acts of the sinful nature in Galatians.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
                        The Bible clearly says we are not saved by works (emphasis is mine)

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
                        Eph 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
                        The Bible also says,

Romans 2:5-7 ( KJV ) 5But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; 6Who will render to every man according to his deeds: 7To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality,
                        eternal life:

I think we to determine what works are being referenced.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                          The Bible also says,

Romans 2:5-7 ( KJV ) 5But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; 6Who will render to every man according to his deeds: 7To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality,
                          eternal life:

I think we to determine what works are being referenced.
                          Yes, Jesus said we would know people by their fruits. But the point is, the fruits come second once we are saved. We can't earn our way into heaven.
                          24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                          I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                          I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                          1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

The commendment is to : Mk 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature.

Action is Go and Do..... because you are saved
                            The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                            God plants in our hearts
                            to remind us
                            there are better things ahead.
                            -Holley Gerth

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                              If there is no evidence of doing any of those physical good works you mention, does it mean we are not saved? What about these signs that will follow them that believe? Are they to be physically interpreted or spiritually interpreted?

Mr 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
                              Mr 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
                              Mr 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
                              Mr 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Blessings,
                              RW

Comment

Working...
                              X