X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean to repent?

Repent ye and believe the gospel

ive got believing the gospel down, but what does it mean to repent? does it just mean stop doing bad things? If thats so, when we sin or stumble, does that mean that when we repented it was false? is it more accurate to say repentance is a process? Dont we as Christians repent every day?

So what kind of repentance is Jesus talking about here? Repentance unto salvation is very fuzzy to me at times. Because all the Christians i kno will admit that they are not perfect. As James says: "we all stumble in many ways".

I will share my interpretation and you guys can affirm or correct me:

my interpretation is that repentance is when we accept Jesus as our Lord. It doesnt mean we never sin, but that Jesus is our King and He calls the shots in our lives instead of us. He says whats right and wrong not us. When we repent, we indentify ourselves in Christ instead of in other things. This leads to turning from sin, but it is not the turning from sin that saves us. We turn from a Christless, godless life, to a life with Christ as our Head

Originally posted by reformedct View Post

ive got believing the gospel down, but what does it mean to repent? does it just mean stop doing bad things? If thats so, when we sin or stumble, does that mean that when we repented it was false? is it more accurate to say repentance is a process? Dont we as Christians repent every day?

So what kind of repentance is Jesus talking about here? Repentance unto salvation is very fuzzy to me at times. Because all the Christians i kno will admit that they are not perfect. As James says: "we all stumble in many ways".

my interpretation is that repentance is when we accept Jesus as our Lord. It doesnt mean we never sin, but that Jesus is our King and He calls the shots in our lives instead of us. He says whats right and wrong not us. When we repent, we indentify ourselves in Christ instead of in other things. This leads to turning from sin, but it is not the turning from sin that saves us. We turn from a Christless, godless life, to a life with Christ as our Head
    yes, i would say that you have a pretty good understanding, repentance is the turning from your unbelief in christ only. it has nothing to do with our other sins, only the sin of unbelief in jesus which is the blasphemy of the holy spirit. remember the sins of the world have been taken away at the cross never to be seen again. now thats good news! god bless

Comment

You got it!!!

I don't agree with repentance as a way of life-we do it everyday-its a condition of the heart, stuff. Once born again we have Christ in us the hope of glory, the author and finisher of our faith, who is more than able to finish in us what He started.

Heb 6:1-3 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.

Comment

Here is another way to look at it. Repentance is becoming convicted that we are wrong about something (like a belief, action, or attitude towards someone), understanding the consequences of our conviction, changing our minds about it, and then acting according to our changed mind.

"Repent ye and believe..."

Without repentence, the belief might just be an acknowledgment of news or information. With repentence, the belief is the result of a changed mind or heart on a matter. The believer is changed from a previous state of need, unbelief, or wrong belief.

God Bless!
        Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

I like the greek word for repentance is metanoia which means to change your mind... repentance is an attitude change which is to say yes to the truth of the Gospel...
          The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

... You gents need to teach! I've seen this discussed so many times and so seldom is the full truth taught but these answers should be good for a months discussion, they're all good.

Comment

It's best to compare Scripture references to get the complete picture. Here are a few.

For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; 10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.1 Thess 1:9-10 (KJV)

Shows a turning away from sin to God.

Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. Acts 8:22 (KJV)

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.Prov 28:13 (KJV)

Comment

Jesus taught that if your brother sins against you seven times in a day, and repents each time, to forgive him each time.

So here's my question, if repent means to "never do the sin again" then why does Jesus suggest that a man can sin seven times and repent each time?

Repentance imo, simply means a change of mind. It is changing our mind about sin and about God. Judas changed his mind about sin, but he went to the priest not to Christ. He repented of his sin but he did not repent towards God. IOW, he didn't believe the gospel.

In some way, when on gets saved, he is giving up his right to govern himself and turning himself over to God. He is willing to die to his self centered desires, embrace his cross, and have God resurrect him.
                Matt 9:13
                13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                NASU

Comment

repentance is laying down your right to condemn yourself and agree that Jesus blood is enough to make you righteous even at that very moment... repentance is agreeing with God and breaking agreement with yourself and your right to judge yourself by your own actions
                  The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Originally posted by timmyb View Post
                    repentance is laying down your right to condemn yourself and agree that Jesus blood is enough to make you righteous even at that very moment... repentance is agreeing with God and breaking agreement with yourself and your right to judge yourself by your own actions
                    you make a good point. one of the most underrated sins is self-condemnation. To claim at any point in time that you are too sinful for Christs blood to cover! this is one that i still struggle with, even though there is clearly no condemnation for those in Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
                      You got it!!!

I don't agree with repentance as a way of life-we do it everyday-its a condition of the heart, stuff. Once born again we have Christ in us the hope of glory, the author and finisher of our faith, who is more than able to finish in us what He started.

Heb 6:1-3 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.
                      Sirus,
                      You say that you don't agree with repentance as a way of life. Then you say we do it every day. This seems contradictory. Then you cite a passage from Scripture which shows that repentance has been abolished.

Please explain your statements.

Thanks,
                      thethinker

Comment

No, I said I don't agree with repentance as
                        -a way of life
                        -we do it everyday
                        -a condition of the heart

It was worded badly. My apologies.

If by abolished you mean the believer that has already repented from dead works to have faith in God, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
                          No, I said I don't agree with repentance as
                          -a way of life
                          -we do it everyday
                          -a condition of the heart

It was worded badly. My apologies.

If by abolished you mean the believer that has already repented from dead works to have faith in God, yes.
                          Hey Sirus,
                          Thanks for clearing up the seeming contradiction. I do believe that repentance was required for the Jew only up until Paul's justiifcation by faith alone principle was revealed. The apostles never preached repentance or baptism to a non-Israelite.

The book Hebrews warned those Jewish Christians to stop laying again the foundation of repentance, baptism, etc. So repentance was a requirement that was to be phased out. There was to come a time when the foundation was to stop being laid and to start building upon that foundation. Paul's justification by faith alone principle built upon that foundation thus replacing the Jewish Gospel (repentance and baptism).

Therefore, repentance and baptism was indeed abolished. Paul's justification by faith alone teaching is all that applies now to Jew and non-Jew alike.

thinker

Comment

Jesus taught that if your brother sins against you seven times in a day, and repents each time, to forgive him each time.
                            Could repentance then be called asking for the forgiveness of sins from the heart?

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                              Could repentance then be called asking for the forgiveness of sins from the heart?
                              I think the repentance happens within the realization you are guilty before anything can be asked.

There is no specification on a length of time between repentance and asking for or receiving anything. Could be years, or never, after your mind has changed about the truth that you want anything to do with it.

This leaving room for the people who know the truth, but end up never being known.

Peace,
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X