Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When shall Christians be made alive after being dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion When shall Christians be made alive after being dead?

1 Cor 15:20-23 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
    21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
    22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
    23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.

We see here that in Adam all die, and in Christ all shall be made alive. But when?

Does verse 23 speak of us (those who have died as Christians) being made alive immediately after death to be alive in heaven, or does it speak of us being made alive afterward at Christ's coming?

The context here is Christ being the FIRST fruits of them that slept/died, and by MAN coming the resurrection of the dead (another noteworthy topic) - but it also addresses WHEN those that are Christ's (Christians) shall be made alive: at his coming.

Are you looking forward to his coming to gather us with him in the air/clouds and to be forever with the Lord?
    Isn't that still true for all those Christians who shall have died on the day the Lord returns?
    Have you ever considered what this section of scripture means in it's simplicity without having to add in other theologies/doctrines?

Maybe the scriptures here are worth another look...

The context is speaking of the end, and the final resurrection...as far as I can read the context.
    God happens!
    'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
    http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
    Originally posted by ProjectPeter
    When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Comment

We have already been made alive in Christ via the new birth. Or are you asking when do our bodies rise to be united with our souls?
      This passage may shed further light.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
      (1Th 4:14-17)
      ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by slightlypuzzled View Post
        The context is speaking of the end, and the final resurrection...as far as I can read the context.
        It says specifically 'at his coming'. What does that mean to you if not at his coming when he gathers us together in the air?

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
          We have already been made alive in Christ via the new birth. Or are you asking when do our bodies rise to be united with our souls?
          This passage may shed further light.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
          (1Th 4:14-17)
          As my question says, I'm referring to the time after a Christian dies - when will they be made alive?

I'm talking about them which are alseep from the above passage you referr to - but specifically in the verses in 1 Cor 15 that I posted.

I was looking for a discussion on the topic to see if people agree that we will be made alive at his coming, or if people believe that we will already be alive.

Comment

I don't know as there is a time after conception our souls are not alive.

But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." (Mat 22:31-32 NKJV)

Making a distinction between whether you mean their physical bodies or their souls would help us understand you better with what part you refer to as being alive.

Peace,
            Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post
              I don't know as there is a time after conception our souls are not alive.

But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." (Mat 22:31-32 NKJV)

Making a distinction between whether you mean their physical bodies or their souls would help us understand you better with what part you refer to as being alive.

Peace,
              Joe
              That scripture speaks about those who are resurrected - and that those who are then alive have him as their God and those who are not alive don't.

I can't tell if you are considering it in the context or not. When shall the dead Christians be made alive???? Whatever dead means in 1 Cor 15:20-22, those who are dead shall be made alive at some point. I don't see how they can be alive if the scriptures call them dead and that they shall be made alive after.

Alive and dead are opposites - but some theology gets in the way of this clear thinking because it seems that people teach we are alive already before the part that says "even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
              23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christís at his coming
              ".

Comment

Originally posted by Julian View Post
                That scripture speaks about those who are resurrected - and that those who are then alive have him as their God and those who are not alive don't.

I can't tell if you are considering it in the context or not. When shall the dead Christians be made alive???? Whatever dead means in 1 Cor 15:20-22, those who are dead shall be made alive at some point. I don't see how they can be alive if the scriptures call them dead and that they shall be made alive after.

Alive and dead are opposites - but some theology gets in the way of this clear thinking because it seems that people teach we are alive already before the part that says "even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
                23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christís at his coming
                ".
                1 Cor 15 is only speaking of our bodies. Our bodies will be changed and made alive at His coming at the last trumpet (1 Cor 15:51-52). In a spiritual sense, we have already been made alive after having been previously spiritually dead in our sins.

Ephesians 2
                1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
                3Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
                4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
                5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
                6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Comment

As my question says, I'm referring to the time after a Christian dies - when will they be made alive?

I'm talking about them which are alseep from the above passage you referr to - but specifically in the verses in 1 Cor 15 that I posted.

I was looking for a discussion on the topic to see if people agree that we will be made alive at his coming, or if people believe that we will already be alive.
                  I believe we will be made alive at His coming. Until then our souls will remain in hades.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                    I believe we will be made alive at His coming. Until then our souls will remain in hades.
                    Is Hades located under the altar?

Rev 6
                    9And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
                    10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
                    11And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Seems to me that these souls are in heaven, not Hades.

Comment

Originally posted by John146 View Post
                      Is Hades located under the altar?

Rev 6
                      9And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
                      10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
                      11And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Seems to me that these souls are in heaven, not Hades.
                      What is the altar that is referenced?

Where is the altar that is referenced?

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                        That seems to line up with the scriptures I found, that is if we're dead at the time. We would be alive if we were in heaven and conscious up there.

Comment

That seems to line up with the scriptures I found, that is if we're dead at the time. We would be alive if we were in heaven and conscious up there.
                          It seems to be the case, looking at the Scriptures and the early church understanding.

Comment

Let's try it from this angle.

Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
                            (Joh 11:24-26)

Julian, do you believe this?
                            ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
                              Let's try it from this angle.

Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
                              (Joh 11:24-26)

Julian, do you believe this?
                              Yes - and I also believe the part in the middle that says 'though he were dead, yet shall he live.'

THanks for tha question.

Comment

Working...
                              X