X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Peter 2:8

"They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do."

seems this Scripture is saying some were already destined to disobey the word?

how do you guys interpret destined here? lets discuss.

Originally posted by reformedct View Post

Shhhh! You can't believe that destined actually means destined!

I can't believe that God destined anyone to disbelief.

No, we need to put another word in it's place. Oh, I know, let's use chose instead of were destined. Yes! That works so much better for my beliefs.

Comment

Based upon our Father's foreknowledge He did, in fact, destine some for destruction because of their wickedness.
      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Not to mention that He is All Knowing, and even knows how many hairs are on our head.

I believe that he knew it would happen, I don't think he picked them one by one, he just knew that people were going to. Does that make any sense? lol.
        www.showhismercy.blogspot.com <<--------My new blog spot...check it out if you have time.

Comment

Originally posted by doubledcattle View Post
          Not to mention that He is All Knowing, and even knows how many hairs are on our head.

I believe that he knew it would happen, I don't think he picked them one by one, he just knew that people were going to. Does that make any sense? lol.
          I believe He picked them just as He picked us. Those who are in Christ have been chosen by Him. Ephesians and some other Scriptures make that clear. However, He chose us based upon His foreknowledge. He knew who to pick . . .
          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
            Based upon our Father's foreknowledge He did, in fact, destine some for destruction because of their wickedness.
            But it doesnt say "because of their wickedness" here.

it clearly seems to say they were destined to disobey, not they disobeyed so they were destined.

Comment

But it doesnt say "because of their wickedness" here.

it clearly seems to say they were destined to disobey, not they disobeyed so they were destined.
              What would you say He needs His foreknowledge for to base such a decision? What's He seeing in order to make His choice? The Scriptures make clear that it is based on His foreknowledge that He makes His choice. What is it that is taking place in the future that He is knowledgeable of that is allowing Him to make such a determination?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                What would you say He needs His foreknowledge for to base such a decision? What's He seeing in order to make His choice? The Scriptures make clear that it is based on His foreknowledge that He makes His choice. What is it that is taking place in the future that He is knowledgeable of that is allowing Him to make such a determination?

i was not speaking of foreknowledge here. Foreknowledge is a totally different concept that involves the love of God and affections of God for those He would love. I am talking about destination. Destined to disobey.

Comment

i was not speaking of foreknowledge here. Foreknowledge is a totally different concept that involves the love of God and affections of God for those He would love. I am talking about destination. Destined to disobey.
                  Pre-destination is based upon foreknowledge. With God you do not have one without the other. God always has foreknowledge.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

1 Peter 2

7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, "THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE VERY CORNER stone,"
                    8 and, "A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

If we look at it in context we see that this is not talking about God hand picking certain people for destruction. This is talking about all those that do not believe in Christ as Lord and savior. What their fate is and that is the second death. This is saying the same message that Paul preached in Corinth.

1 Corinthians 1

18 ¶For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Who is perishing in this passage? Those that do not believe in Christ or as Peter put it those the disbelieve.
                    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                    Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Originally posted by TrustingFollower View Post
                      1 Peter 2

7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, "THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE VERY CORNER stone,"
                      8 and, "A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

If we look at it in context we see that this is not talking about God hand picking certain people for destruction. This is talking about all those that do not believe in Christ as Lord and savior. What their fate is and that is the second death. This is saying the same message that Paul preached in Corinth.

1 Corinthians 1

18 ¶For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Who is perishing in this passage? Those that do not believe in Christ or as Peter put it those the disbelieve.
                      I'm confused.

They were appointed to this doom.

Is this doom:

1. Stumbling?
                      2. Rejecting the cornerstone?
                      3. being disobedient to the Word?
                      4. Disbelieving?
                      5. Destruction?

And are any of those without the other?

God appointed them to something that was bad, thus doom. And if He appointed them to one of the above, then it would stand to reason they were appointed to all of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                        Shhhh! You can't believe that destined actually means destined!

I can't believe that God destined anyone to disbelief.

No, we need to put another word in it's place. Oh, I know, let's use chose instead of were destined. Yes! That works so much better for my beliefs.
                        Do you mean like all doesn't mean all?

Comment

Originally posted by TrustingFollower View Post
                          1 Peter 2

1 Corinthians 1

What? Why would anyone read the Scriptures in context?

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                            Do you mean like all doesn't mean all?
                            It is not I that tries to redefine all.

All means all.

When Christ said He draws all men to Him, all are drawn to Christ, not just the saved.

This thread however is about "how do you guys interpret destined here?"

If you wish to discuss how you have tried to redefine all, then start another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                              What? Why would anyone read the Scriptures in context?
                              Really.... where is the sport in that?
                              I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                              Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Working...
                              X