Sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin

What are your ideas/ concepts /beliefs about what sin is.

[If you know which school of theology or denomination your pov is from that would be most helpful to me]
    Grace is the gift of Christ, who exposes the gulf which separates God and man, and, by exposing it, bridges it. [K Barth]

Originally posted by Elouise View Post

[If you know which school of theology or denomination your pov is from that would be most helpful to me]
    Sin is either a disease that needs a cure or a crime that needs to be punished.

The way you see sin determines the way you see God.

Comment

Lately I have been defining sin as anything in us falling short of the glory of God that would dirty us and prevent us from being worthy of standing before the Father in heaven. Something that only the blood of our dear Saviour Jesus the Christ can cleanse us of.

Peace,
      Joe

Comment

1) to be without a share in
        2) to miss the mark
        3) to err, be mistaken
        4) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour, to do or go wrong
        5) to wander from the law of God, violate God's law, sin

Sin according to the Greek Translation is translated as the above...
        My thoughts on 'sin' .. are 'to miss the mark'.. and to miss or wander from the path of Uprightness and honour.. being outside of God's will.
        As an avid archer and bowhunter I can relate to 'missing the mark'.. I thank God today for Jesus the Christ.. who didn't miss the mark.. He did what He did perfectly.. and what He was called to do. and He did it for our benefit... He did what we could never do nor attain.. because the flesh is weak. My 'FAITH' AND 'BELIEF' AND 'TRUST' in what He has accomplished on that bloody tree...... is what gets me thru.. Persevereing... to the end.. and putting that 'faith' belief and trust into Action.. moving forward in the Power of the Holy Ghost..as He calls me...doing whatever He calls me to do... in His Will...

Like He told the Jews when He tabernacled in the flesh here the first time..

If you don't believe He is, who He says He is, and repent.. then you will die in your sins..

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
        Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
        ------------------------------------------------
        Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
        ------------------------------------------------
        The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
        Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Two definitions presented in the Bible.

1. whatever is not from faith. (Romans 14:23)
          2. the transgression of the law. (1 John 3:4)

Comment

Instead of using my ideas, I prefer to use the Bible.

I. Meanings of the term sin.
            1. Sin as an act which is in violation of God's will
            1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

2. Sin as a state of condition
            1Ti 5:6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

3. Inbred sin or the Adamic nature
            Ro 8:6-7 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

4. Sin as an attitude toward God
            Ro 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

5. Mental sin without the outward overt act
            Mt 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

II. Sin as an act. Because of two concepts of sin in this respect this will be studied under two divisions.

1. The absolute view of sin. This view holds that any act short of absolute perfection is to some degree contrary to the will of God and hence constitutes sin, regardless of light, knowledge, intent, or circumstances involved. Since it is impossible for finite creatures to be absolute in their knowledge, this view of sin would make it impossible for any one to live free from sin. Yet, the Bible teaches that Christians do live holy lives which are free from sin. Therefore, this definition must be in error. There are certain scriptures that support this view however:
            1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
            1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

2. The view that sin is relative or conditional. It cannot be denied that the absolute view is true in a limited sense. The error in the above view is that sin is not imputed or charged against the individual on an absolute basis. The charging of sin is on a relative basis. When the transgression is not deliberate or rebellious, no guilt is incurred. Hence, the essential element of sin is not present. The general view of sin in the Bible is to disregard mistakes and errors of judgment, reserving the term sin for those transgressions that involve guilt; those that are imputed as sin:
            Jas 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
            Ro 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
            Ro 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
            Ro 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
            Joh 15:22-24 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin. He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

3. The results and correction of willful disobedience.

a. Rebellious acts or willful disobedience separates from God:
            Ge 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
            Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
            Joh 8:21 Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.

b. They produce spiritual death
            Ge 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
            Eze 18:20-24 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live. Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

c. The must be confessed and forsaken.
            Isa 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
            1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

III. Sin as a state or condition.
            This simply means that one is living outside of the law; one whose way of life is not acceptable unto God. The wrath of God abides on these (John 3:36). This is comparable to an outlaw. In addition to specific acts of sin, they are essentially rebellious toward God.

IV. Original sin, inbred sin, Adamic nature, native depravity and other names have been applied to the derangements that are inherited from Adam as a result of the marring of the image of God through the first sin. All are born with it. It does not involve guilt. It is a weakness or tendency toward sin. It remains in the justified Christian. It is removed in the experience of Sanctification or the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It is essentially rebellious. Texts covering these points can be given in the study of the experience of Bible Sanctification.

V. Sin as an attitude towards God. A legitimate act becomes sin if done with an attitude of rebellion.
            Ro 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
            Ro 14:20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
            Ro 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

VI. Mental sin without the outward or overt act. This involves the consent of the will to an act known to be evil. It may or may not lead to the consummation of the act. It precedes the overt act, and is therefore separate from it. One first decides to do it, or at least would be prepared to do it if conditions permitted. This constitutes sin, and must be confessed regardless of whether the actual act was committed or not. See (Matthew 5:28). This should not be confused with temptation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey0

Anytime we disobey a commandment from the bible, it's sin.
              1 John 3:9
              Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We don't disobey anymore.

Comment

We don't disobey anymore.
                So you are telling me you don't sin anymore?
                www.showhismercy.blogspot.com <<--------My new blog spot...check it out if you have time.

Comment

Originally posted by doubledcattle View Post
                  So you are telling me you don't sin anymore?
                  Let me just say that "Whoever is born of God cannot sin." and "Sin is transgression of the law."

So, if one is born of God, one cannot transgress the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                    Let me just say that "Whoever is born of God cannot sin." and "Sin is transgression of the law."

So, if one is born of God, one cannot transgress the law.
                    Committing a sin is a choice. One can choose to sin [disobey God] or one can choose to not sin [obey God].

Comment

Originally posted by faithfulfriend View Post
                      Committing a sin is a choice. One can choose to sin [disobey God] or one can choose to not sin [obey God].
                      Sounds great.

But when God gave a command, sin sprang up and we died.

My Bible states "God has bound all men over to disobedience". If God binds all men to do something, can they refuse to do it? Can man refuse to not be disobedient? Kind of a contradiction in itself, is it not?

Think of the statement that is made if you say man has a choice - Man can choose to obey the law and thus disobey God who bound man over to be disobedient.

Comment

Sounds great.

But when God gave a command, sin sprang up and we died.

My Bible states "God has bound all men over to disobedience". If God binds all men to do something, can they refuse to do it? Can man refuse to not be disobedient? Kind of a contradiction in itself, is it not?

Think of the statement that is made if you say man has a choice - Man can choose to obey the law and thus disobey God who bound man over to be disobedient.
                        No it's not a contradiction, but if we want to discuss Predestination....you may create a new thread to do so.

I'm not going to derail from the OP.

Comment

Mikebr

The way you see sin determines the way you see God.
                          I have to agree with this, it also affects how we see the need of salvation.
                          Grace is the gift of Christ, who exposes the gulf which separates God and man, and, by exposing it, bridges it. [K Barth]

Comment

The subject is "What are your ideas/ concepts /beliefs about what sin is. "

You say sin is a choice.

God said that He bound all men over to disobedience (sin).

Comment

The subject is "What are your ideas/ concepts /beliefs about what sin is. "

You say sin is a choice.

God said that He bound all men over to disobedience (sin).
                              Sin is the transgression of the law.

I John 3:4 - Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

This law is the law of Christ.

Galatians 6:2 - Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

John 12:48 - He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Sin is a willful transgression.

John 9:41 - Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

James 4:17 - Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Comment

Working...
                              X