for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance

Here's another interpretation that I've observed being used by some others. For some reason, many take this verse to literally mean that Jesus did not come to call the righteous, as in there were actually righteous people to call, except that wasn't who Jesus came to call. This passage isn't even addressing this as a possibility. Jesus is simply making a point here. Does anyone know what that point is? I'll give you a clue. Keep in mind that He was saying this to the Pharisees. So, what did Jesus really mean when He stated 'for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance'? Ill give one more hint. Take a look in Matthew ch 23.

Matthew 9:9 And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.
    10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
    11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
    12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
    13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

I've concluded there was no one on the face of the earth who prayed more, or louder, or who fasted more and put on a long, sad face to prove it, or who observed the Sabbath more diligently, or who even washed their hands more than the Pharasees; the RIGHTEOUS Pharasees!

My goodness, they were all the time looking down their noses at Jesus and his followers! They loved to be seen of men, and get high praises for all their righteousness. They craved titles.

But they were hypocrites; all their so-called righteousness was in doing to be seen and praised. They are summed up pretty well in this verse:

Matthew 23:28
    Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

...and notice, he was speaking to the MULTITUDE and to his disciples. He was telling them, "Don't pretend to be righteous. Practice what you preach!" :
    Matthew 23:1
    Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

For some reason, they were so haughty as to actually believe they were oh, so righteous, and everyone else was nothing in their eyes. Even Christ Jesus! But there is none righteous. No, not one. We (and they!) are nothing but dirt of the earth.

We best remind ourselves that pride was Satan's sin. Jesus saw right through all the "righteousness" of the Pharasees.

I hope I'm getting what you are aiming at. I look forward to checking this thread as it progresses!

Interesting!
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
      Here's another interpretation that I've observed being used by some others. For some reason, many take this verse to literally mean that Jesus did not come to call the righteous, as in there were actually righteous people to call, except that wasn't who Jesus came to call. This passage isn't even addressing this as a possibility. Jesus is simply making a point here. Does anyone know what that point is? I'll give you a clue. Keep in mind that He was saying this to the Pharisees. So, what did Jesus really mean when He stated 'for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance'? Ill give one more hint. Take a look in Matthew ch 23.

Matthew 9:9 And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.
      10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
      11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
      12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
      13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
      he didn't come to call the self righteous... the Pharisees in their mind didn't need help... He starts the Sermon on the Mount with Blessed are the poor in spirit... but guys like Matthew who were in a tight situation the Pharisees didn't want him and he couldn't find a way out... Luckily for Matthew and for us, Jesus doesn't call the righteous, but sinner to repentance
      The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
        I've concluded there was no one on the face of the earth who prayed more, or louder, or who fasted more and put on a long, sad face to prove it, or who observed the Sabbath more diligently, or who even washed their hands more than the Pharasees; the RIGHTEOUS Pharasees!

My goodness, they were all the time looking down their noses at Jesus and his followers! They loved to be seen of men, and get high praises for all their righteousness. They craved titles.

But they were hypocrites; all their so-called righteousness was in doing to be seen and praised. They are summed up pretty well in this verse:

Matthew 23:28
        Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

...and notice, he was speaking to the MULTITUDE and to his disciples. He was telling them, "Don't pretend to be righteous. Practice what you preach!" :
        Matthew 23:1
        Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

For some reason, they were so haughty as to actually believe they were oh, so righteous, and everyone else was nothing in their eyes. Even Christ Jesus! But there is none righteous. No, not one. We (and they!) are nothing but dirt of the earth.

We best remind ourselves that pride was Satan's sin. Jesus saw right through all the "righteousness" of the Pharasees.

I hope I'm getting what you are aiming at. I look forward to checking this thread as it progresses!

Interesting!

Hi Diggindeeper. You certainly have a correct understanding of this passage. This is exactly what I'm aiming at. I also like how you pinpointed Matthew 23:28 out of that ch. This was the exact same verse I was thinking of as well.

Comment

Originally posted by timmyb View Post
          he didn't come to call the self righteous... the Pharisees in their mind didn't need help... He starts the Sermon on the Mount with Blessed are the poor in spirit... but guys like Matthew who were in a tight situation the Pharisees didn't want him and he couldn't find a way out... Luckily for Matthew and for us, Jesus doesn't call the righteous, but sinner to repentance

Hi timmyb. You also have a correct understanding of this passage as well. This was exactly what Jesus' point was...He didn't come to call the self righteous. Well said.

Comment

Good posts - another good verse is Lk 17:9!

I've also heard the even MORE ridiculous interpretation that when Jesus said "righteous people who do not need to repent" in Lk 15:7 he meant that, once we are Christians ("righteous") we'll never need to repent again! Clearly such people don't have Rev 2 and 3 in their bibles!

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post

I've also heard the even MORE ridiculous interpretation that when Jesus said "righteous people who do not need to repent" in Lk 15:7 he meant that, once we are Christians ("righteous") we'll never need to repent again! Clearly such people don't have Rev 2 and 3 in their bibles!

I agree, LK 15:7 is another perfect example of a Scripture some tend to misinterpret. All one has to do once again is note whom Jesus was also addressing...those same Pharisees and scribes...those self righteous ones. Then it's pretty clear what He meant by "more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance".

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post

he was reffering to people who were self-righteous. The people who were trusting and relying and boasting in their own righteousness aka the Pharisees. All have sinned. so when he says He didnt come for the righteous means he didnt come for self-righteous people. Also you can interpret it as Jesus saying no one is righteous in a way as well.

Comment

I disagree.

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
                  he was reffering to people who were self-righteous. The people who were trusting and relying and boasting in their own righteousness aka the Pharisees. All have sinned. so when he says He didnt come for the righteous means he didnt come for self-righteous people. Also you can interpret it as Jesus saying no one is righteous in a way as well.
                  Just as you always have the poor, I believe, you also have the righteous. But, the righteous are not held up as examples, indeed, in the end times they will be shown to be evil.

JN 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
                  JN 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
                  JN 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
                  JER 14:13 Then said I: 'Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.'
                  JER 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me: 'The prophets prophesy lies in My name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them; they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.

Comment

Hmmm, I tend to believe the even more ridiculous interpretation.

Did Christ call the Pharisees to repent? Were the Pharisees sinners?

The only ones that would need to be called to repent are those who have not repented.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                      Hmmm, I tend to believe the even more ridiculous interpretation.

Did Christ call the Pharisees to repent? Were the Pharisees sinners?

The only ones that would need to be called to repent are those who have not repented.
                      So why did he tell all but two of the churches in Asia to repent? Wasn't he telling Christians to repent there? Don't Christians disobey? Don't we need sanctification, which involves ongoing repentance and new obedience, by the Spirit?

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                        Just as you always have the poor, I believe, you also have the righteous. But, the righteous are not held up as examples, indeed, in the end times they will be shown to be evil.
                        Where do you see this in Scripture?

JN 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
                        JN 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
                        JN 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
                        How does that bear upon your contention that the righteous will be shown to be evil in the end times?

Comment

So why did he tell all but two of the churches in Asia to repent? Wasn't he telling Christians to repent there?
                          He was telling the churches to repent, but not Christians. The born again have repented. Those who still need to repent are not born again. It is impossible to renew people to repentance. A person either has been granted repentance, will be granted repentance, or never will be granted repentance.

Don't Christians disobey?
                          No.

Don't we need sanctification, which involves ongoing repentance and new obedience, by the Spirit?
                          The born again are sanctified.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                            No.
                            Wow - well I'm in one big heap of trouble then!

The born again are sanctified.
                            Why then are we encouraged to "pursue" and "perfect" holiness?

So you have never sinned since your conversion and will never sin until glory, right?

Comment

Wow - well I'm in one big heap of trouble then!

Why then are we encouraged to "pursue" and "perfect" holiness?

So you have never sinned since your conversion and will never sin until glory, right?
                              just for a heads up, Yukerboy doesnt believe that Christians sin. He believes that when a person who believes in Christ sins it is not really that person but the flesh that did it. just thought i would let you know so your not too confused

Comment

Working...
                              X