Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Finished

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's Finished

    Christ said before dying on the cross "It's Finished." This literally means the debt has been paid in full.

    Question:

    If the debt has been paid in full, and it is finished, leaving nothing to do, but some say you have to believe and have faith, was it really finished?

    It seems that some believe it was not finished, because man still has to believe to have salvation.

  • #2
    Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
    Christ said before dying on the cross "It's Finished." This literally means the debt has been paid in full.

    Question:

    If the debt has been paid in full, and it is finished, leaving nothing to do, but some say you have to believe and have faith, was it really finished?

    It seems that some believe it was not finished, because man still has to believe to have salvation.
    There is nothing left for Him to do. Just because Jesus hands you a check doesn't mean your bill is paid. You must deposit it into your account.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
      Christ said before dying on the cross "It's Finished." This literally means the debt has been paid in full.

      Question:

      If the debt has been paid in full, and it is finished, leaving nothing to do, but some say you have to believe and have faith, was it really finished?

      It seems that some believe it was not finished, because man still has to believe to have salvation.
      Can you show that Jesus meant the debt is paid when He made that statement?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LookingUp View Post
        There is nothing left for Him to do. Just because Jesus hands you a check doesn't mean your bill is paid. You must deposit it into your account.
        So you are saying that some people don't deposit their checks? Does this mean some of Christ' blood is going to waste?

        I still don't see how it was finished, if we have something left to do. It's like Jesus saying, "Well I've done my part. Hope it's good enough. Hope they deposit it and don't waste my blood."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
          Can you show that Jesus meant the debt is paid when He made that statement?
          From what I understand this is what "It's Finished." literally means. The debt of course is God's wrath.

          Comment


          • #6
            pc,

            I will word things in a way that has helped me a lot with the same issue.

            I look at "being saved by faith" slightly differently. It's not so much our faith that saves us (as if faith died on the cross). Rather, we have faith in what saves us, which is the finished work of Christ on the cross.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
              From what I understand this is what "It's Finished." literally means. The debt of course is God's wrath.
              Yes, tetalestai means "it is paid" and was what was written on bills once they had been paid.

              Not sure the debt is God's wrath - but sin is spoken of as debt in the Lord's Prayer and also in the parable of the unmerciful servant - and of course we have this scripture:-

              And you who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by cancelling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. Col 2:14 ESV

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
                So you are saying that some people don't deposit their checks? Does this mean some of Christ' blood is going to waste?

                I still don't see how it was finished, if we have something left to do. It's like Jesus saying, "Well I've done my part. Hope it's good enough. Hope they deposit it and don't waste my blood."
                Some people don't want to be reconciled with God no matter how much debt they have. Some don't believe they have any debt to be paid in the first place. Some believe they can pay for their own debt without the help of God.

                If I had two children and I died for both of them, but only one received it as a gift, I would not feel my blood was wasted.

                I don't think the blood of Jesus was a waste. Do you?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Psalms Fan View Post
                  pc,

                  I will word things in a way that has helped me a lot with the same issue.

                  I look at "being saved by faith" slightly differently. It's not so much our faith that saves us (as if faith died on the cross). Rather, we have faith in what saves us, which is the finished work of Christ on the cross.
                  Yes this is true. But I think scripture is clear man cannot believe or have faith without God doing something. Man in his natural state will never do anything but rebel agaisnt a Holy God, and cannot do anything otherwise. God has to cause the man to come alive (regeneration), then he can believe and have faith.

                  Remember Esp.2:8? What is important there is the order. It's by grace (undeserved), we are saved through faith, etc...

                  It was finished at the cross as Jesus said, leaving nothing left to do for the elect (saved).

                  I will be careful here that although we cannot do anything unless God causes us to be born again, we are commanded to repent and believe if He so chooses to give us grace.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LookingUp View Post
                    Some people don't want to be reconciled with God no matter how much debt they have. Some don't believe they have any debt to be paid in the first place. Some believe they can pay for their own debt without the help of God.

                    If I had two children and I died for both of them, but only one received it as a gift, I would not feel my blood was wasted.

                    I don't think the blood of Jesus was a waste. Do you?
                    Ahhhhhhh! No way do I think the blood of Christ was a waste. I just do not believe He shed His blood for those whom will not come. It was a perfect sacrifice that completely atoned for the sin of His elect.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
                      Ahhhhhhh! No way do I think the blood of Christ was a waste. I just do not believe He shed His blood for those whom will not come. It was a perfect sacrifice that completely atoned for the sin of His elect.
                      Oh okay. I see where you are going - limited atonement, right?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
                        Ahhhhhhh! No way do I think the blood of Christ was a waste. I just do not believe He shed His blood for those whom will not come. It was a perfect sacrifice that completely atoned for the sin of His elect.
                        1 John 2:2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

                        2 Corinthians 5:14-15 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

                        I believe in limited effectual atonement. The effectual atonement of Christ's sacrifice is limited to those who are born again. However, I never deny the fact that Christ sacrificed Himself not only for our sins, but the sins of the world.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
                          From what I understand this is what "It's Finished." literally means. The debt of course is God's wrath.

                          different words have many meanings, if say you're cool, he's would think I am saying he is with the times, however, that statement could also mean he has a chill, or it could mean, he gives someone the cold shoulder. So just because that statement may have been used to mark a debt paid does not mean that that is the way Jesus meant to use it. His usage must be determined from the context of Scripture. Having said that, can we show from Scripture there is a debt to be paid?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey, I was thinking of a funny picture. Let's say a Hebrew man brings a lamb for a sin offering for his family. The lamb is sacrificed with the father of the household's good intentions that it cover the sins of his entire household. But then his unruly teenager comes up and says "I don't need your stinkin' lamb!" So, although the lamb was sacrificed and his blood was shed for the entire family, the lamb's blood could not atone for the child who refused it. Do you think they had these kinds of problems with their teens back then? Ouy vey!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              was it really finished?
                              ----------------------------------------------

                              I'll answer that with His Words...

                              It is Finished.......

                              He said it just before expiring physically... If He said it then I believe what He said.. He had Completed what He had been sent to do.. To die as the Lamb Slain before the foundation of the World... Why? to PROVIDE a Way back to the Father..

                              Jesus said He was the WAY, TRUTH, and LIFE....

                              there is no other 'way' to Heaven but thru Him.. You can't add to or take away what HE has Accomplished... He 'calls' men to Repent and Believe in Him and What He has accomplished... and In Him and His Completed Work .. It is Finished... is Eternal Life...
                              Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                              Jeremiah 31:3

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X