Who do we pray to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do we pray to?

This is a question I have had for a long time now regarding prayer.

When we pray, who is it that we are meant to pray to? God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit?

If we pray to God, are we leaving Jesus out. If we pray to Jesus, are we meant to be directing the prayer to God and where does the Holy spirit comes into the equation - regarding prayer?

When I pray I pray directly to God (remember that once the curtain was torn when Jesus died on the cross that opened God up to ALL believers not just the Priests).

Now when I end a prayer I end it in Jesus' name because in the Gospels Jesus tells us that if we ask anything in His name it will be done.

I hope this helps?
    "I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
    -- (Psalm 18:1-2)

"Those who wait on the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk ant not be weary" -- (Isaiah 40:31)

Comment

Jesus prayed to the Father by the Holy Spirit. We, because of Jesus, can address the Father directly in Jesus' name.

I'll tend to pray to all three Persons, but typically I use the "model" that I typed above.

Comment

To the Father, in Jesus' name with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post

When we pray, who is it that we are meant to pray to? God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit?

If we pray to God, are we leaving Jesus out. If we pray to Jesus, are we meant to be directing the prayer to God and where does the Holy spirit comes into the equation - regarding prayer?
          Since when is Jesus not God?
          Technically, we pray to the Father through Jesus. A good Scripture to keep in mind is-
          For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
          (1Ti 2:5)
          So just as Jesus is the God/man his role as mediator between us and God (Trinity) is accepted by God in His humanity.
          ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Yeah, the trinity always confuses me. We can pray to God, and also to Jesus, but Jesus is also God.

So technically, if were praying to Jesus, we are praying to God at the same time.

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
            Technically, we pray to the Father through Jesus. A good Scripture to keep in mind is-
            For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
            (1Ti 2:5)
            So just as Jesus is the God/man his role as mediator between us and God (Trinity) is accepted by God in His humanity.

Comment

I pray to the Father, in the name of the Son, with the understanding that God's sent His Holy Spirit to both help us and convict us. Honestly, there have been many times in my life when I've felt weak, been very low or at my worst, and simply cried out "God" or "Lord" and trusted that God would understand my heart, regardless of the words I used. We ALL hit that point at some time or another.
              -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
              It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
              So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
              We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
              Warren Barfield

Comment

John 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
                  did someone say that?

Comment

Originally posted by JesusPhreak27 View Post
                    Now when I end a prayer I end it in Jesus' name because in the Gospels Jesus tells us that if we ask anything in His name it will be done.

I am not sure that ending a prayer "in the name of Jesus" is the meaning of "in my name". It means to pray by his authority, as his disciple.

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
                      I am not sure that ending a prayer "in the name of Jesus" is the meaning of "in my name". It means to pray by his authority, as his disciple.
                      I dont suppose it makes much of a difference either way?
                      "I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
                      -- (Psalm 18:1-2)

"Those who wait on the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk ant not be weary" -- (Isaiah 40:31)

Comment

Chad,

I agree with those who say that we should pray to the Father, because Jesus taught us to pray, "Our Father, who art in heaven . . . " etc.

Having said that, I guarantee that he will hear you no matter what you say.

When I first became a believer, I pictured God as a king sitting on a throne with Angelic guards all around living in a huge castle surrounded by great halls and large doors than no human could move. I wanted to be forgiven and given another chance (not even thinking about eternal salvation at the time. My theology was very limited.) All I wanted was forgiveness and another chance at being a good person. And so, I actually prayed to the angels if they might take a message to God for me. I pictured God as being so holy, so above me, so great, and so powerful, and in my mind I was such a sinner, so low, and undeserving, I couldn't bring myself to asking him directly. I honestly thought that my only hope was if an angel could get close enough to him so as to hear my petition. So I said something like, "Angels in heaven, please take my message to God. Ask him if he will please forgive me and if he will please help me in my despair to become a better person." I believe he heard me.

Since then, of course, I know that God is much bigger than even I imagined at first, big enough to hear my prayer from anywhere and wise enough to even interpret my emotional blabbering grunts, when I am so at my wits end I can't say anything meaningful. But I feel free to come before the throne of grace myself now.

I guess I just want to be encouraging to you and others reading this. If you want to talk to God, pray to the Father. He will hear you. And if you pray to Jesus, he will hear you too. And if, in foolish ignorance you pray as I did, he will hear that too. God can relate to you where ever you are at. I can personally attest to this myself. I was foolish and ignorant and didn't know anything except I hated being a sinner and wanted to be a better person and God was able to meet me there and hear my plea anyway.

Just be humble and honest. That's it.

Comment

Yeah, the trinity always confuses me. We can pray to God, and also to Jesus, but Jesus is also God.

So technically, if were praying to Jesus, we are praying to God at the same time.
                          Chad to simplify it. Picture praying to the Father, yet having His Son as the go-between. Yet all in all you are praying to God.

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
                            did someone say that?
                            Yes, in the very first post of this thread, Chad asked..."When we pray, who is it that we are meant to pray to? God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit?"

The question implies that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not God. The better way to ask the question would have been, "When we pray, who is it that we are meant to pray to? The Father, Jesus or the Holy Spirit?", since they are all the ONE God.

Comment

Thanks all for you replies. I recieved an answer today from Mt 6:9-13

(Mat 6:9 NIV) "This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, (10) your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. (11) Give us today our daily bread. (12) Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. (13) And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.'

Comment

Working...
                              X