Bothered by the plagues in Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bothered by the plagues in Egypt

For some reason I was thinking of this recently. Its been really bugging me for a few days. The more I think about it, God killed babies to convince the king to let God's people go. But the king had already agreed to let them go, and God had forced the king to change his mind. When I thought about this, my thought was, "That's horrible"

Do this bother anyone? How do you look at it?

Love to all,

Bex

the reason we think it is horrible is because we dont understand how evil and heinous sin is. Sin is treason against the Mighty and Holy and infinetly good God. It is a disrespect for the words of the Creator of all things. As God declares, "i KILL, and i make alive"

people have a sense that God is just a good fuzzy wuzzy lovey dovey fairy goodness God. He is soverign, and when Jesus comes back, He will slaughter His enemies and the birds will be filled with their flesh. Our God is a God of War.

All humans deserve death. What we should be asking is how could God be gracious enough to allow any of those Egyptians to live.

Psalms 5:5 You HATE all who do evil

that being said, God also loves the world, however His love does not cancel His wrath and righteous anger against sin AND all who sin

there is a Christian saying: God loves the sinner, hates the sin

Problem is that phrase was coined by Mahatma Ghandi who doesnt believe Jesus is God.

God loves the world, but He also hates evil and evildoers.

Anything apart from faith in the true God is sin

The Egyptians served every God except the true God

therefore, our perfect God was just in slaughtering the firstborns

the reason we feel troubled is because we are under the false notion that we arent really that bad, and that the universe is a democracy where everyone gets to vote and give their opinion. Not so with God. He is a dictator, His universe is a monarchy. Whatever He declares shall come to pass. We all deserve to drop dead and die right now. Most Christians are not aware of that

Yes God slaughters babies. Yes God is just. Therefore the babies deserved to be slaughtered. sounds harsh but it is the reality of the Bible and the reality of The true Holy God. This is a God that i can fear and reverence and worship. Not a fairy hippie lovey dovey youre OK im Ok kind of God that is worshipped in many churches today lol

Comment

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree. If we all 'deserve death' God wouldn't have made us in the first place! That doesn't make any sense to me.

And little babies haven't sinned so even if you are saying we deserve death because we sin, the babies had not even done that! Its like God killed the most innocent people for some reason. Like I said, it bothers me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
        You are obviously entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree. If we all 'deserve death' God wouldn't have made us in the first place! That doesn't make any sense to me.

And little babies haven't sinned so even if you are saying we deserve death because we sin, the babies had not even done that! Its like God killed the most innocent people for some reason. Like I said, it bothers me.
        so you must conclude that:

A. God killed babies

B. The babies didnt deserve it (your opinion)

So that means God is unjust in your opinion

It is not just my opinion, it is what the Bible says. The Bible says the Lord is perfect in all His ways. The Bible says the Lord kills babies. Therefore the Lord was perfectly righteouss in killing those babies.

it is not just my opinion it is Scripture. God is just. God kills babies. God is just in killing babies. If the babies did not deserve to be killed, God would be unjust. WHat do you call it when you kill someone who doesnt deserve ti? isnt that sin? are you saying God sinned?

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
          so you must conclude that:

A. God killed babies

B. The babies didnt deserve it (your opinion)

So that means God is unjust in your opinion

It is not just my opinion, it is what the Bible says. The Bible says the Lord is perfect in all His ways. The Bible says the Lord kills babies. Therefore the Lord was perfectly righteouss in killing those babies.

it is not just my opinion it is Scripture. God is just. God kills babies. God is just in killing babies. If the babies did not deserve to be killed, God would be unjust. WHat do you call it when you kill someone who doesnt deserve ti? isnt that sin? are you saying God sinned?
          I didn't go that far, but I don't think I could call it "just." I mean....if someone disagreed with you and didn't do what you said, would you kill their babies and their neighbors' babies? I know God has different rules, but still it seems wrong to me. Are you saying you have any problem with it at all??

Comment

I didn't go that far, but I don't think I could call it "just." I mean....if someone disagreed with you and didn't do what you said, would you kill their babies and their neighbors' babies? I know God has different rules, but still it seems wrong to me. Are you saying you have any problem with it at all??
            God was just pouring out wrath on the egyptians, God pours out his wrath today. the death of the babies was because of the sin of the egyptians, the same reason death of babies happen today for the unsaved. it is not the babies sinning. it is the wrath of God for unrighteousness. john 3:36. this includes multiple things.
            Jhn 3:36He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Comment

the reason i dont have a problem is because i believe that we are born in sin. Many disagree and thats fine with me, but this is another reason why i believe we are born in sin. Born guilty. If the babies did not deserve death and God killed them He would be unjust. If the baby was born in sin and thus deserving of wrath then God is just. I am aware that many will disagree

18 Therefore, as one trespass [5] led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness [6] leads to justification and life for all men. 19 For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous

im sure people will disagree with my interpretation shortly, however i read this text to literally mean that all came under the guilt and condemnation of Adams sin. People have many arguments and Greek translation this and that but i hold that Adam represented all of mankind and thus all of mankind fell under condemnation. Therefore babies are under condemnation

the reason i believe i am right is because this interpretation preserves the justice and holiness and perfection of God in killing babies.

As i said, im sure many will try to disagree with me, but i have already discussed it and would not like to argue further on this point for now

Comment

Let God be God. God does what is just and we, as creatures, are in no position to question God, the Creator.
                sigpic

Comment

Perfect love

You might not like this answer. I seen people that are absolutely devoted to their partner/lover/husband/spouse. That ultimate kind of love brings ultimate jealousy.

I think that God is jealous about His people and loves them to that extreme point. In the process He uses the disobedient as ensamples. (See book of Jude)

Yes it bothers, but His love covers it. I believe that His full measure of mercy to mankind as discribed in Romans is not yet been revealed.

Comment

Originally posted by cross crusader View Post
                    God was just pouring out wrath on the egyptians, God pours out his wrath today. the death of the babies was because of the sin of the egyptians, the same reason death of babies happen today for the unsaved. it is not the babies sinning. it is the wrath of God for unrighteousness. john 3:36. this includes multiple things.
                    Jhn 3:36He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."
                    Wait...are you saying God kills babies today of people who are not saved?

Comment

I'd look at it this way, Bex: if God was pouring out His wrath on the Egyptians and babies' lives were taken in the process, then we have to know that God is a Just God -- He knows our hearts. If anyone is so young that they couldn't possibly know about Him yet and couldn't possibly make a conscious choice to sin on their own, then could we say that God, being both Just and Loving, would take that into account? I believe He would.

Babies die all the time. Sometimes naturally, sometimes unnaturally -- but we trust God to treat their souls with the same Justice and Love as He's shown for the rest of us, who are sinners. The only difference between us and them is that we've had the chance to deliberately commit sin, as well as come to Christ -- if any babies haven't had either chance, then I fully believe God will do what's right by them, because He is righteous is ways we can't even comprehend. What God gives, He sometimes takes back.... and I know how hard it is for us to wrap our minds around that, but we need to trust that He knows what He's doing.
                      -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
                      It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
                      So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
                      We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
                      Warren Barfield

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeCat View Post
                        I'd look at it this way, Bex: if God was pouring out His wrath on the Egyptians and babies' lives were taken in the process, then we have to know that God is a Just God -- He knows our hearts. If anyone is so young that they couldn't possibly know about Him yet and couldn't possibly make a conscious choice to sin on their own, then could we say that God, being both Just and Loving, would take that into account? I believe He would.

Babies die all the time. Sometimes naturally, sometimes unnaturally -- but we trust God to treat their souls with the same Justice and Love as He's shown for the rest of us, who are sinners. The only difference between us and them is that we've had the chance to deliberately commit sin, as well as come to Christ -- if any babies haven't had either chance, then I fully believe God will do what's right by them, because He is righteous is ways we can't even comprehend. What God gives, He sometimes takes back.... and I know how hard it is for us to wrap our minds around that, but we need to trust that He knows what He's doing.

imo it is very easy to understand. We are by nature objects of Gods wrath, as is the rest of mankind. Not hard folks! "I kill and I make alive"

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
                          imo it is very easy to understand. We are by nature objects of Gods wrath, as is the rest of mankind. Not hard folks! "I kill and I make alive"
                          Let's balance that by saying we're objects of God's salvation, and that He desires to have us know Him. We don't deserve salvation because we sin, but God offers it all the same. If a baby who has had neither the chance to deliberately sin OR to come to Christ dies, even though he/she has a sin nature, I'd prefer to trust in God's justness and mercy. His ways aren't ours. If we just leave it at "we're all objects of God's wrath because of our human nature", then where does that leave the millions of babies who die every year? Hopeless, without a chance, hellbound because of their human nature? I don't believe so. As I said before... He knows our hearts. And that's all I'll say about that. I trust HIM to do what's right. God does NOT create something merely to permanently destroy it.

Warren Barfield

Comment

I agree with CoffeeCat. I'm sure those babies didn't go to Hell when they were killed. God was punishing the Egyptian adults and leaders, not the babies.
                            May the Lord bless you and keep you,
                            The Lord make his face shine on you
                            and be gracious to you.

Comment

Here's another thought.

Exodus 11:1 - 12:36 mentions all firstborns being killed. Does this mean babies, per se? I'd say no. Firstborn can mean anyone of any age.

Warren Barfield

Comment

Working...
                              X