Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead to Sin / Live unto Righteousness

1stPeter 2:21-25,

"21. For unto this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: 22. Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth, 23. who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24. who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness-by whose stripes you were healed. 25. For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." (NKJV)

Does this say that when we are born again we no longer sin b/c we are dead to sin, and are walking in the righteousness of God. Or does it say that we can sin even though we are dead to sin?

any thoughts

God Bless,

Dave
    In Christ Love

BCF

2 Peter 1:20-21:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation. For prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

Search and believe the Scripture, before you believe anything man tells you.

Originally posted by BCF View Post

"21. For unto this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: 22. Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth, 23. who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24. who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness-by whose stripes you were healed. 25. For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." (NKJV)

Does this say that when we are born again we no longer sin b/c we are dead to sin, and are walking in the righteousness of God. Or does it say that we can sin even though we are dead to sin?

any thoughts

God Bless,

Dave
    just my two cents

i think dead to sin means that because of our new nature sin is not what makes us feel good or what satisfies us. We are alive to righteousness meaning righteousness is our new appetite.

I have personally experienced this. Upon my conversion i immediately lost the taste to listen to some of the "worldly" rap artists that i used to balst in my car stereo. Now, when i listen to them, it just makes me sick. i think thats what it means to be dead to sin

it can also have a double meaning, speaking of the old man dying in Christ i guess

Comment

any thoughts

God Bless,

Dave
      Romans 6 will shed much light on this topic. It appears that we are dead to sin in that we have been buried with him and because we are no longer under law but under grace;sin has no more power over us. On the other hand we are still capable of presenting our members to sin rather than to God and that is where the entanglement in sin happens. Read Romans 6 and see what you think.
      ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
        Romans 6 will shed much light on this topic. It appears that we are dead to sin in that we have been buried with him and because we are no longer under law but under grace;sin has no more power over us. On the other hand we are still capable of presenting our members to sin rather than to God and that is where the entanglement in sin happens. Read Romans 6 and see what you think.
        Yeah but.....where in scripture does it say that grace took away sin?

I can see in scripture how grace took the place of the law, but where does it say that grace took the place of sin?

God Bless,

Dave
        In Christ Love

BCF

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation. For prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

Comment

Does this say that when we are born again we no longer sin b/c we are dead to sin, and are walking in the righteousness of God.
          What does other Scripture confirm?

Whoever is born of God does not sin. Whoever is born of God CANNOT sin.

Comment

any thoughts

God Bless,

Dave
            I don't think Peter is saying that we never sin. Rather, I believe he is saying that our sins are no longer the issue.

If we take our lesson from the first century Jewish experience the situation goes something like this.

The Bible teachers of the first century were telling the people that if they could keep the law, God would declare them to be "in the right." But in fact, however, all the animal sacrifices did was remind them that they were NOT "in the right." These sacrifices were a tiresome and constant reminder that they were constantly in the wrong.

Along comes Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross. Due to his sacrifice on the cross, God was offering the people the chance to be "in the right" if they would look to the cross and admit that what Jesus got was what they deserved. Anyone among the people who agreed with that, God declared "in the right."

Now that Jesus bore our sins on the tree, the issue of our sins is no longer a live issue. Our sins are a moot point now. And consequently, now that our sins are a moot point, we are free to live for righteousness sake. We are no longer burdened under the heavy load of the animal sacrifices that constantly reminded us that we were "IN THE WRONG." Now, apart from that system, we have God's declaration "in the right" because we believe God and take him at his word.

Peter is saying, "now that Christ has dealt with your sins, now that they are a moot point, you are free to live like Christ and you should follow in his footsteps. Anyone who was able to free you from your guilt, bring you God's declaration of being "in the right", forgive your sins, and set you free is worthy to follow. So follow him and act like he did.

Comment

any thoughts

God Bless,

Dave
              Greetings Dave,

1Jo 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

'My little children.' This epistle is addressed to all believers. 'I write unto you, that you sin not.' John does not hold out the possibility that any man can be totally free from sin. This would be contrary to his own words in 1Jo 1:8-10 and contrary to Scripture. But he is saying, 'I write this to you that you might not live in sin, indulge the flesh, walk in disobedience and behave like the world of unregenerate man.' The will of God is our sanctification and holiness in spirit, word and deed. The true grace of God in a man's heart does not condone or excuse his sin, but condemns it and gives him a continuous desire to be like Christ and glorify his Lord. True believers mourn their sins, confess them and seek to avoid them.

'And if any man sin...' as every man does, even everyone that walks in light and fellowship with God, believes on Christ an dis justified by His blood. As much as we hate sin and seek to avoid it, we are still in this flesh and in this world (Ro 7:18-25).

Under no circumstances does a believer excuse sin, justify it, or permit it to go unjudged and unconfessed simply because it is atoned for by Christ. But we do have an Advocate with the Father, a great High Priest, who makes intercession for us, pleads for us whose sins have been laid on Him and has made full satisfaction for them; therefore, our sins should not be laid to our charge. He is the Advocate 'with the Father', against whom all sin is committed and to whom satisfaction is made. We would not have need for an Advocate if we could never sin.

Many Blessings,
              RW

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                Greetings Dave,

'My little children.' This epistle is addressed to all believers. 'I write unto you, that you sin not.' John does not hold out the possibility that any man can be totally free from sin. This would be contrary to his own words in 1Jo 1:8-10 and contrary to Scripture. But he is saying, 'I write this to you that you might not live in sin, indulge the flesh, walk in disobedience and behave like the world of unregenerate man.' The will of God is our sanctification and holiness in spirit, word and deed. The true grace of God in a man's heart does not condone or excuse his sin, but condemns it and gives him a continuous desire to be like Christ and glorify his Lord. True believers mourn their sins, confess them and seek to avoid them.

'And if any man sin...' as every man does, even everyone that walks in light and fellowship with God, believes on Christ an dis justified by His blood. As much as we hate sin and seek to avoid it, we are still in this flesh and in this world (Ro 7:18-25).

Under no circumstances does a believer excuse sin, justify it, or permit it to go unjudged and unconfessed simply because it is atoned for by Christ. But we do have an Advocate with the Father, a great High Priest, who makes intercession for us, pleads for us whose sins have been laid on Him and has made full satisfaction for them; therefore, our sins should not be laid to our charge. He is the Advocate 'with the Father', against whom all sin is committed and to whom satisfaction is made. We would not have need for an Advocate if we could never sin.

Many Blessings,
                RW
                Amen! It's amazing how many on this forum and other forums teach that we have no sin nature...some even believe that we can attain sinless perfectionism in this lifetime.
                And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

Comment

I've never even met one of those on a forum. Can you point me to some posts or threads or something? I hear they exist but......?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
                    I've never even met one of those on a forum. Can you point me to some posts or threads or something? I hear they exist but......?
                    Deja-vu Sirus! Listing posts is not necessary...maybe a mirror would help?
                    And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

Comment

Nope, not here!

Can you point me to some posts or threads or something? I hear they exist but......?

Comment

Yeah but.....where in scripture does it say that grace took away sin?

I can see in scripture how grace took the place of the law, but where does it say that grace took the place of sin?

God Bless,

Dave
                        Behold the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world. Jn 1:29 Jn 1:36.

Grace doesn't take the place of the law, grace has alway been since the first promise to Adam and Eve Gen 3:15. The law was added that sin may be sin for what it is.

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
                        (Rom 6:14-15)
                        ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post

Whoever is born of God does not sin. Whoever is born of God CANNOT sin.
                          I do not find this in scripture....can you show me where this is?

God Bless,

Dave
                          In Christ Love

BCF

Comment

Originally posted by BroRog View Post
                            I don't think Peter is saying that we never sin. Rather, I believe he is saying that our sins are no longer the issue.

If we take our lesson from the first century Jewish experience the situation goes something like this.

The Bible teachers of the first century were telling the people that if they could keep the law, God would declare them to be "in the right." But in fact, however, all the animal sacrifices did was remind them that they were NOT "in the right." These sacrifices were a tiresome and constant reminder that they were constantly in the wrong.

Along comes Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross. Due to his sacrifice on the cross, God was offering the people the chance to be "in the right" if they would look to the cross and admit that what Jesus got was what they deserved. Anyone among the people who agreed with that, God declared "in the right."

Now that Jesus bore our sins on the tree, the issue of our sins is no longer a live issue. Our sins are a moot point now. And consequently, now that our sins are a moot point, we are free to live for righteousness sake. We are no longer burdened under the heavy load of the animal sacrifices that constantly reminded us that we were "IN THE WRONG." Now, apart from that system, we have God's declaration "in the right" because we believe God and take him at his word.

Peter is saying, "now that Christ has dealt with your sins, now that they are a moot point, you are free to live like Christ and you should follow in his footsteps. Anyone who was able to free you from your guilt, bring you God's declaration of being "in the right", forgive your sins, and set you free is worthy to follow. So follow him and act like he did.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. But....I believe that we can live like Jesus in and through Our Spirits, when we are walking in the Spirit. But I do not believe that we can live like Jesus did in the flesh, with our flesh.

Jesus.......when He walked this earth in the flesh, He was always walking in the Spirit. Jesus although being in the flesh, never followed His flesh. I do not see in scripture anywhere where this is taught by anyone. Not by Paul, Peter, James, Jude, Matthew, John, Mark, Luke, or any of the prophets. I do find scripture that says that we should follow Jesus, and be like Jesus....but in my opinion...those scriptures are talking about being like Jesus in the Spirit....not in the flesh. We cannot go without sin by following our flesh, and we can never be following the Spirit all the time.

This is where I have my disagreement, simply b/c I just do not see such a thing being taught in scripture by anyone.

God Bless,

Dave
                            In Christ Love

BCF

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                              Greetings Dave,

Many Blessings,
                              RW
                              Hi RW,

I agree totally. If we could not sin as some say scripture teaches. Why would we need an Advocate for sin.?

This is why I cannot get a grasp of what they are saying.

God Bless,

Dave
                              In Christ Love

BCF

Comment

Working...
                              X