Is faith in Christ enough to save us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is faith in Christ enough to save us?

Is faith in Christ enough to save us? Is faith in Christ all that is needed for us to be born again?

Hi Jemand,

You have some interesting questions here.

Maybe you could wait some time before posting all the things you want to discuss. The first two could probably have been in the same thread. If these topics become popular and you plan on participating in all of them you may get overloaded. Personally when I have a bunch of stuff I want to ask I wait between topics until it dies out past the first page.

Peace,
    Joe

Comment

Yes & Yes. Justification by faith brings salvation.

Here's the thing, if it is true faith, you will bear fruit. It takes faith, and and faith alone to save, but faith without works(fruit) is dead, so if you go awhile and you notice you aren't bearing fruit, then you better double check your faith.
      As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
        Yes & Yes. Justification by faith brings salvation.

Here's the thing, if it is true faith, you will bear fruit. It takes faith, and and faith alone to save, but faith without works(fruit) is dead, so if you go awhile and you notice you aren't bearing fruit, then you better double check your faith.
        I agree....saving faith will always result in fruit. Spiritual growth is not the same for every Christian....nevertheless, there will be fruit...some thirtyfold, some sixtyfold, and some an hundredfold. Salvation brings change in behavior and lifestyle.
        And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

Comment

Originally posted by Jemand View Post
          Is faith in Christ enough to save us? Is faith in Christ all that is needed for us to be born again?
          Greetings Jemand.

If you mean obedient faith in Christ, then yes. However, if you mean faith alone, then no.

Jake
          Jake

What does the bible say?

Comment

Yes to both

John 3:15 and 16

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ephesians 2:8
            For by such grace you have been saved through faith. This does not come from you; it is the gift of God

2nd Timothy 3:16

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
            Matthew 10:39
            He that finds his life shall lose it: and he that loses his life for my sake shall find it.

Comment

Yes, it is! If you trust that He died for your sin and did all that was needed to reconcile you to God the Father.
              Isn't He enough?
              I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Ixthus View Post
                Yes to both

John 3:15 and 16

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ephesians 2:8
                For by such grace you have been saved through faith. This does not come from you; it is the gift of God

2nd Timothy 3:16

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
                Greetings.

There are many good folk who would agree with your conclusion, however, I'm not one of them. Scripture, I believe, does not contradict itself, thus, when several scriptures seem to do so, it is always human thinking that is incorrect.

Paul wrote that the gospel of Christ was God's power to save those who believe, Rom 1:16. Many seem to think that belief without obedience is all that is required to be saved. This is very wrong.

Peter asks a very revealing and pertinent question; "...what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?" 1 Peter 4:17.

Why didn't he say "believe" instead of "obey"? Can one disobey the gospel and his faith still save him? I don't believe so...

Jake
                Jake

What does the bible say?

Comment

Actually our faith is very small, but it is Christ who saves us. Faith is the empty hand that takes hold of Christ and the promises in Him.
                  To the second part I believe that the Gospel heard creates saving faith;
                  the same Gospel with the Holy Spirit regenerates a person simultaneously creating faith in Him...IMHO.
                  ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by Clydson View Post
                    Peter asks a very revealing and pertinent question; "...what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?" 1 Peter 4:17.

Why didn't he say "believe" instead of "obey"? Can one disobey the gospel and his faith still save him? I don't believe so...

Jake
                    The gospel is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. What is it that obeys the gospel. When you believe you have obeyed by believing the Gospel.
                    Those who disobey are those who will not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. God tells us to believe, if you do, you are obeying, if you don't believe then you are disobeying.

For sake of discussion, if faith in Christ is not obeying tell me what we are to obey in order to be saved?

Comment

Originally posted by Clydson View Post
                      Greetings.

There are many good folk who would agree with your conclusion, however, I'm not one of them. Scripture, I believe, does not contradict itself, thus, when several scriptures seem to do so, it is always human thinking that is incorrect.

Paul wrote that the gospel of Christ was God's power to save those who believe, Rom 1:16. Many seem to think that belief without obedience is all that is required to be saved. This is very wrong.

Jake
                      Well said my friend, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey0
                        No and no.

Think about it, if believing in Jesus was all that was required than the devils would have been saved too. There is at least one more example I can think of right off hand of someone believing and not being saved.

Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

This verse says it all. It doesn't say He will have mercy on whom believes. It says on whoever He wants in not so many words. It's not a choice we make at all. And that makes the world's Christians upset because if it's true than it calls into question their own salvation. Who can bear to face that when they have so long believed they were saved.
                        It doesn't cause any problem, the question is who does God want to have mercy on?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey0
                          No and no.

Think about it, if believing in Jesus was all that was required than the devils would have been saved too. .
                          the devils believed in Jesus as in they knew who He was and that He exists. They didn't believe in Him for salvation. They knew they were already condemned. The proof is like in the pig story. The demons begged Jesus not to send them to the abyss. They knew that was their destiny.

Comment

If it requires more than faith then we are all in big trouble. We are not capable of anything but faith. It is faith alone that saves, it is faith that allows us to bear fruit. Are we saved after faith but before we begin bearing fruit? Yes.

Works sanctify, faith saves.
                            As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Does anyone know what verses refer to our faith being our works and let our works accompany us??
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X