How bad is cussing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is cussing?

The bible says cussing is bad? A lot of the time, in this day and age, cussing is a language thing intended to emphasize a point. What does the Word say? How are we as contemporary people supposed to go?

The book says to live your life so the world can see His good works {through you} and glorify the Father.How are we to do this if we are using profanity and taking the Lords name in vain.In our age it seems commonplace to hear this type of language it comes from weak minded people who lack the intelligence or vocabulary to express themselves properly or from people trying to cover some inadequacy they have themselves and I think of it as another of Satans tactics to keep us from a closer walk with God.
    I was alive without the Law ,the Commandment came sin revived and I died

Comment

... As already pointed out, we are called to be a peculiar people. That, of course, means that we will be noticed and stand out from the rest of the world. We are never to blend in and if we also curse then we will look just like them and in truth, we will not have repented.
      ... Sin is what sends a man, any man, to Hell and the fact is that cursing is sin.

Comment

Originally posted by crystalbrite View Post
        The bible says cussing is bad? A lot of the time, in this day and age, cussing is a language thing intended to emphasize a point. What does the Word say? How are we as contemporary people supposed to go?
        Listen to Scripture:

Isaiah 6:5---“Woe is me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

James 1:26---“If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.”

Matthew 12:34---“For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

Prov. 13:3--- “He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.”

Ephesians 4:29---“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”

Proverbs 18:21– "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit."

Proverbs 27:19 - "As in water face reflects face, So the heart of man reflects man.

Study James Chapter 3.

Comment

Yea and if as "contemporary" people can ignore that, well we might as well ignore the ten also

Comment

Originally posted by crystalbrite View Post
            Since many on here have already given examples from the word, I'm going to give a practical application of how bad cussing is in the grand scheme of our walks. I often times think of the woman "Annie" in the movie misery, who was accustomed to using the words "dirty birdy" and "cock a tootie" in lieu of more commonly used offensive curse words in the English language.

We learn throughout the story that Annie is a little bit(actually a lot) disturbed, a murderer, and enjoyed torturing those people that she deems she loves due to some fantasy she has about a fictional romance she's created within her mind of how her world should be...specifically the author of the book that she loves.(played by James Kahn). Now James Kahn uses a whole slew of curse words at Annie while he's being tortured(by her), and we sympathize and find him to be the Hero of the story as oppossed to Annie.

My point is that words can hurt..but often times words aren't always representative of our true standing or character within God's eyes..and how righteous we are before him. So in my opinion..I think God looks at the overall character of a man or woman..as oppossed to looking at a few trivial words a person may spit out during difficult times within their walks.

Comment

I'll add some also to the already good posts here. crystalbrite, I am writing this with the assumption that you might be talking about yourself. If you are asking as a proxy for someone else or just from a standpoint of learning, then don't take what I say personally but apply it just the same.

Here is a verse taken a little out of context, but one that I think is a proverb all unto itself:

I Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

That is so true. The enemy can use our words against us but the Lord will convict us if we listen. I can remember a specific incident many years ago where I was slowly baited into an arguement and I let a word (a whole sentence? a whole tirade?) fly that I shouldn't have used or knew from whence it came. Immediately my adversary (not just my human adversary either) remarked how they were so glad to see me use a "man's language". I was immediately convicted and knew my witness had been compromised deliberately. I searched myself hard then to see if what had come out of my mouth was what was in my heart. I repented of that incident and came to know that the outburst was what was in my flesh and could be provoked if I didn't let the heart have greater space. I still battle with this from time to time unto this day.

In any event, the evil communications were just prior to the corruption of my good manners.

So how do we clean up our mouth? First, the obvious: Separate ourselves from evil communications. We need to be careful about what we are talking about and with who we might be talking. This doesn't go for just cussing either but for the more subtle things like gossip and backbiting.

But even further than just the conversations we engage in, the Apostle Paul suggests us to recognize the battle and tells us how to fight it supernaturally:

II Corinthians 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Verse 5 tells us how to clean up our mouth (and any other thing where the enemy attempts to gain a foothold). We bring the imaginations, the things contrary to the knowledge of God, and even the thoughts of such into the obedience of Christ. Our heart becomes the gate guarded by the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I hope you will decide that our language is a part of our witness to the world. If you feel convicted about it then repent of your cussing and let God work on you (give you the weapons) in bringing your communications into obedience. You might already be convinced that you can't do it on your own, but that is how testimonies are made!

God Bless!
              Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
                My point is that words can hurt..but often times words aren't always representative of our true standing or character within God's eyes..and how righteous we are before him. So in my opinion..I think God looks at the overall character of a man or woman..as oppossed to looking at a few trivial words a person may spit out during difficult times within their walks.
                This is very true.

Comment

How bad is cussing?

That depends upon how good you are at it.

Comment

Proverbs 27:6
                    Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

I often times think of how those in life who love us the most, are more than likely to tell us the truth about our situation, as oppossed to trying to sweeten everything up with nicey-nice words. We need to be careful and not get too caught up in the exact words the people say to us in our walks. Remember, the serpent beguiled Eve with sweet words, and his tactics haven't changed to this day.

I'm not advocating that we should go about cursing at each other when testifying, I am advocating individuals not to always discount testimony that isn't pleasing to the ears.

Comment

Joshua 1:8
                      This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

There might be a reason Joshua was blessed.
                      If only I knew enough scripture that, whenever I opened my mouth, only what is of God would pour out.

Comment

Originally posted by tt1106 View Post
                        Joshua 1:8
                        This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

There might be a reason Joshua was blessed.
                        If only I knew enough scripture that, whenever I opened my mouth, only what is of God would pour out.
                        The Pharisees knew a lot about scripture..and the love of God wasn't pouring out of their mouths. God looks at the intentions of the heart, not how articulate or how well versed an individual may be in scripture(Torah). We need to watch our words, but we also need to make sure that we are always saying things in the right spirit..as oppossed to making sure that everything sounds all nicey-nice to those whom we are preaching to.

Comment

Originally posted by pc_benz View Post
                          Listen to Scripture:

Isaiah 6:5---“Woe is me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

James 1:26---“If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.”

Matthew 12:34---“For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

Prov. 13:3--- “He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.”

Ephesians 4:29---“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”

Proverbs 18:21– "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit."

Proverbs 27:19 - "As in water face reflects face, So the heart of man reflects man.

Study James Chapter 3.

None of these verses refer to cussing.

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
                            None of these verses refer to cussing.
                            Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Cussing certainly is filthy communication.

Comment

Originally posted by CommanderRobey View Post
                              Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Cussing certainly is filthy communication.
                              Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. (Psalms 19:14)

Cussing is not acceptable in God's sight!
                              And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

Comment

Working...
                              X