This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Incident in the Garden

Greetings Freinds.....and I have called you that.

Have any of you noticed how scripture describes the tree as being in the midst of the Garden ?
    The middle of the Garden, I wonder who was it that caused that tree to grow right in the middle of the Garden...where Adam and Eve had to conciously avoid it.
    Walk around it, tunnel underneath it, high jump over it! every time they (Adam and Eve) traversed the Garden.

Has anybody noticed how the Creator of our fleshy human Nature, then drew Adams attention to the tree, and said, do not eat of it ?

Who created the serpent, and gave the serpent his nature ?

Who placed the serpent in the Garden with the man and the Woman ?

Who caused Adam and Eve to become the first of the...all...that he shut up in disobedience that he may show mercy to all ?

It is an interesting Study!

Grace and Peace to you all.....

Isaiah 14:24
    The LORD of hosts has sworn saying, "Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand,

Originally posted by Spirit Driven View Post
    Greetings Freinds.....and I have called you that.

Have any of you noticed how scripture describes the tree as being in the midst of the Garden ?
    The middle of the Garden, I wonder who was it that caused that tree to grow right in the middle of the Garden...where Adam and Eve had to conciously avoid it.
    Walk around it, tunnel underneath it, high jump over it! every time they (Adam and Eve) traversed the Garden.

Has anybody noticed how the Creator of our fleshy human Nature, then drew Adams attention to the tree, and said, do not eat of it ?

Who created the serpent, and gave the serpent his nature ?

Who placed the serpent in the Garden with the man and the Woman ?

Who caused Adam and Eve to become the first of the...all...that he shut up in disobedience that he may show mercy to all ?

It is an interesting Study!

Grace and Peace to you all.....

Isaiah 14:24
    The LORD of hosts has sworn saying, "Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand,
    From my perspective, much depends on how one wants to interpret the story.

If one takes the story as literally true since there are no similes, then it appears that God created the serpent, placed the trees of knowing good and evil as well as eternal life in the garden, told them NOT to eat from the tree of knowing good and evil, then punished Adam and Eve for their disobedience before they ate from the tree of eternal life.

On the other hand, if one takes the story symbolically, then it says that a single God created the known universe including humans (a radical idea at the time since practically every known culture had multiple gods), attempts to explain the origins of evil and disobedience (a serpent symbolizing that small voice some people argue with when making a decision along with our own independent nature), and why people eventually die (Adam and Eve were denied the tree of eternal life). These themes and ideas are in many cultures and the first Hebrews merely took these themes and applied them to a single God.

Can either interpretation be proven irrefutably true? No.

Girding my loins for a possible onslaught of discussion I remain,

OldChurchGuy

Comment

Originally posted by OldChurchGuy View Post
      From my perspective, much depends on how one wants to interpret the story.

If one takes the story as literally true since there are no similes, then it appears that God created the serpent, placed the trees of knowing good and evil as well as eternal life in the garden, told them NOT to eat from the tree of knowing good and evil, then punished Adam and Eve for their disobedience before they ate from the tree of eternal life.

On the other hand, if one takes the story symbolically, then it says that a single God created the known universe including humans (a radical idea at the time since practically every known culture had multiple gods), attempts to explain the origins of evil and disobedience (a serpent symbolizing that small voice some people argue with when making a decision along with our own independent nature), and why people eventually die (Adam and Eve were denied the tree of eternal life). These themes and ideas are in many cultures and the first Hebrews merely took these themes and applied them to a single God.

Can either interpretation be proven irrefutably true? No.

Girding my loins for a possible onslaught of discussion I remain,

OldChurchGuy
      Could both be true. I agee we have a tendency to pick out the particulars and miss the story. Could your theory be correct and the bible still be inerrant? I think so and this could get interesting for sure.

Good Questions Spirit Driven and Welcome to the Boards.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
        Could both be true. I agee we have a tendency to pick out the particulars and miss the story. Could your theory be correct and the bible still be inerrant? I think so and this could get interesting for sure.

Good Questions Spirit Driven and Welcome to the Boards.
        Since we do not have the original complete manuscripts of any book in the Hebrew Bible (aka the Old Testament) nor the New Testament, inerrancy is a matter of faith. I am OK with that so long as a person does not treat that belief as an irrefutable fact.

As always,

OldChurchGuy

Comment

Originally posted by OldChurchGuy View Post
          Since we do not have the original complete manuscripts of any book in the Hebrew Bible (aka the Old Testament) nor the New Testament, inerrancy is a matter of faith. I am OK with that so long as a person does not treat that belief as an irrefutable fact.

As always,

OldChurchGuy
          Oh but they do.

Comment

Hey,

It seems that no one has replied to this topic. I have been studying Genesis for awhile now, and after reading and hearing a sermon from a very blessed brother from the late 40's, I have come to realize the true interpretation of this passage.
            OnENtheSpIrIt

Comment

well, that was enlightening!
              wait....you didn't share

Comment

From the text itself and your post I just don't see it.

Comment

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." A seed is an offspring or a child. So now we see here that there are two different seeds satan's and Adams.
                  There are children of Satan, agreed. Christ even calls some children of Satan.

However, the enmity is between the seed of the serpent and the seed of the woman, not Adam's seed. And the seed of the woman would be every man, but ultimately Christ.

Don't read more into what is actually there.

Comment

The OP is not available to answer so this thread will be closed.

Comment

Working...
                    X