Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any danger in believing in the pre-trib rapture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any danger in believing in the pre-trib rapture?

Would like to open up a friendly, non-judgemental discussion. This isn't about who is a better Christian but strictly concerning any possible dangers of believing in the pre-trib doctrine. This essentially is the belief that Jesus will return and rapture away the faithful before the tribulation begins.

Dangers involving mid or post trib are not being sought in this thread, thank you.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Let me just ask this to help me better understand and not have to read all over to figure it out, which are you. Post trib, amil, or p preterist. So I dont misunderstand where you are coming from.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by quiet dove View Post
      Let me just ask this to help me better understand and not have to read all over to figure it out, which are you. Post trib, amil, or p preterist. So I dont misunderstand where you are coming from.
      I am post trib but that shouldn't matter in this thread. I am looking to hear from anyone no matter what position they have concerning any possible dangers there are in believing in pre-trib. Hopefully someone will post that can explain it better than I did in the other thread.
      (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
        I am post trib but that shouldn't matter in this thread. I am looking to hear from anyone no matter what position they have concerning any possible dangers there are in believing in pre-trib. Hopefully someone will post that can explain it better than I did in the other thread.
        No, I didnt ask because of that, but just so I could understand your views better.

sigpic

Comment

No, I didnt ask because of that, but just so I could understand your views better.

Ok.

Comment

I think the only real danger is if you are counting on being raptured out and it does not happen the way you expect.
            You may lose faith and falter, or worse.

The same danger is not present with post-tribbers, since we expect to go through the trib anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Morse View Post
              I think the only real danger is if you are counting on being raptured out and it does not happen the way you expect.
              You may lose faith and falter, or worse.

The same danger is not present with post-tribbers, since we expect to go through the trib anyway.
              Do you think there is any chance that Satan could exploit that belief and cause some possible deception? I am worried that the Antichrist could provide a very real and similar imitation of a rapture to satisfy someone.

Comment

Hi Naphal
                I don't know if these count as "dangers", but problems I see would include:

1. simply not reading the Bible correctly. I've just done a large post (in the thread Why a rapture? started by Lellison) picking up Lou M's comment on apantesis. Search for apantesis and it should come up. The bottom line is that 1Thess4;17, and the whole rapture-back-to-heaven idea is based on a misreading of the word "meet", which doesn't allow the "meet and then turn round and go back" idea.

2. the second problem might be that a lot of people think, oh, lets not preach to my neigbor or workmate, we'll wait for the rapture then he'll have 30 days, 3 1/2 years, etc to repent and be converted.

3. the third problem might be that people think, well Christ is not interested in the earth, he's going to take us to heaven and then blow the world up. So all those prophecies about the earth being full of God's glory, full of knowledge of the Lord, won't come true.

4. the fourth problem might be that "false messiahs" can take advantage of the "invisible coming" idea. Christ's coming is only known to an elite initiated into the mystery. Yet Christ said if someone comes and says 'he is in secret chambers' don't listen, don't go out.

5. The other problem is that these 'Left Behind' films and books are really tacky. But I don't suppose that counts as a scriptural objection

S

Comment

Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
                  5. The other problem is that these 'Left Behind' films and books are really tacky. But I don't suppose that counts as a scriptural objection
                  lol

Personally number 4 is my strongest concern but I see your point in the rest.

Comment

Do you think there is any chance that Satan could exploit that belief and cause some possible deception? I am worried that the Antichrist could provide a very real and similar imitation of a rapture to satisfy someone.
                    If the belief is false, he is already exploiting it.

But I doubt that the anti-Christ could provide any imitation that could be truly believed.

Comment

Is there any danger in believing in the pre-trib rapture?
                      I personally think so, but only if a person's belief it so strong that they refuse to even consider another viewpoint. And this is multiplied when that person is the leader of a church, and preaches this to the congregation, and they do not investigate scripture themselves for the answers.

If someone has a belief, but admits that they may be wrong, I don't think theres any danger in that.

(This can also be applied to other end-times teachings as well, but since we are speaking of pre-trib rapture here...)

For example, I have heard pastors preach about the horrible times in the end, and end their sermon with "but don't worry about any of this, because we won't be here", and then ends the sermon with no mention of the other viewpoints out there, and no mention that millions of people hold those other viewpoints.

I think it's important for all of us to humble ourselves before God, acknowledge that we don't have all the answers, and ask Him to help us not be deceived when this time comes.
                      http://www.mychristiansite.com/personal/vision/ <-- My site. Check it out

http://www.freehovind.com Please sign the petition to pardon Kent Hovind.

Comment

I think the chief danger of any of the end time "doctrines" is their ability to utterly rob us love. We've seen it too many times here to count. Everything degenerating into cruel digs and potshots thinly vieled by subtle and pseudo-civilized language. There's probably more locked threads here than the rest of the forums combined, and in my short time here I believe I've seen the entire End Times sections shut down twice.

Comment

Would like to open up a friendly, non-judgemental discussion. This isn't about who is a better Christian but strictly concerning any possible dangers of believing in the pre-trib doctrine. This essentially is the belief that Jesus will return and rapture away the faithful before the tribulation begins.

Dangers involving mid or post trib are not being sought in this thread, thank you.

I beleive in one second coming or Day of the Lord...so I guess you can say that is post trib- but to me the world is the tribulation we must overcome by faith in Jesus Christ.

Dangers in pre-trib theology......yes.

1. Christian's unprepared to suffer for their faith......

2. What happens if there is no "pre-trib" rapture? How many beleivers will lose thier faith? Just think...world wars, horrible terrors, persecution and no rapture? How many will doubt the Word of God and turn after the devil?

3. How about preparing for the end of days...survival etc......

Just some thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
                            I think the chief danger of any of the end time "doctrines" is their ability to utterly rob us love. We've seen it too many times here to count. Everything degenerating into cruel digs and potshots thinly vieled by subtle and pseudo-civilized language. There's probably more locked threads here than the rest of the forums combined, and in my short time here I believe I've seen the entire End Times sections shut down twice.
                            I don't think this is really related to the interest of this thread or even belongs here frankly. Can you address the pre-trib at all?

Comment

If the doctrine were only about a pre-trib rapture, I would have no problem with it. But it comes in a whole dispensational, futurist wrapping which cannot be separated from it; including ideas for the millennial kingdom and how Israel must suffer the tribulation to be brought to faith and on and on. What ends up happening is that the very gospel is changed by its teachings to accomodate its Zionist leanings.

I also see a denial of who Christ is and what He accomplished in the 1st coming at work, when passages like Dan 9:24 are said to be unfulfilled. I think the doctrine puts blinders upon those reading the prophecies so that they do not see Christ but only Israel.

Then you have all the fantastic things that are said about a coming Antichrist which is pure fear-mongering and not edifying to the body of Christ who scripture says is to stand fast and not be moved by news headlines. The doctrine does not provoke us to good works borne of faith as we watch and eagerly await the Lord's return - loving the brethren. Instead some use the doctrine as their basis for evangelizing.

And like all heresies, it divides the body in the very Hope which ought to give us great unity.
                              Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                              And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                              Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                              Those who compromise with Christs enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                              X