The office of a prophet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The office of a prophet

1*Who qualifies for the office of a prophet?
    2*What qualifies us for the office of a prophet?
    3*Do we still need Prophets today?

Looking at Barnabas (Acts 11) I see a man with a lifelong willingness to obedience. He is an encourager.
    1COR 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.(King James Version)
    Definately a person full of Inner Peace and Joysomeone with a solid faith and filled with the Word
    NOT a person that speaks doom???or is that allowed, if it scripture based and appropriate??
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Think you Got it all 'backwards'

No prophet is 'called' based upon his own qualifications or self contained characteristics. A prophet does not EARN his office. The gifting of the office of prophet is based upon the complete and soverign selection of the Holy Spirit.

I think the burden to prove otherwise is squarely upon you....

'Do we still need prophets today'?

Well, God says we do, so what do you have to counter what God says?

Comment

Originally posted by homebild
      No prophet is 'called' based upon his own qualifications or self contained characteristics. A prophet does not EARN his office. The gifting of the office of prophet is based upon the complete and soverign selection of the Holy Spirit.

I think the burden to prove otherwise is squarely upon you....

'Do we still need prophets today'?

Well, God says we do, so what do you have to counter what God says?
      I think maybe you'll understand what I'm looking for if I rephrase my statement/question.
      How do we recognise a prophet?
      The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
      God plants in our hearts
      to remind us
      -Holley Gerth

Comment

Question one should ask, is will they know a prophet when speaking to one?
        Second, would you/they except that person if they was a prophet.
        If i was to say to you i was a prophet would except it or reject it? If you reject it why judge me? If you except it do you know if i'm of God or am I a false prophet?
        So how do you know if i'm a prophet? Then comes the question if you reject me as a prophet that is of God, how will you know Jesus if you reject a prophet of God?
        If all the prophets was rejected back then in the days when Christ walked the earth. Would they not be rejected today with all these beliefs and religions? There is only one bible, one God, one religion and belief. If i'm a prophet then told you and the world this is the true meaning and belief, would you except it or reject? That goes the same if Jesus was here right now, would you know it was him or would you clam he was a false Christ?
        So why would man make judgement of who's a prophet or not. God chooses those to be a prophet knowing there hearts!

To answer you ACCM, you know by knowing God and hearing the truth.. A prophet speaks from his heart. If his heart is that of love one knows he speaks the truth. God is a God of Love, if you speak the truth you speak out of love, the truth hurts but done out of love.
        God bless you all, John

Comment

My dear ACCM,

Comment

Originally posted by Darlene Austin
            My dear ACCM,

SAY WHAT???
            The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
            God plants in our hearts
            to remind us
            -Holley Gerth

Comment

A true prophet does not speak from his own heart, but rather speaks as he is moved by the Holy Spirit.

Speaking from the heart is no proof:

Luke 6:45
              A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

The holy Spirit will bear witness to you whether one is a prophet of God or not. That is, if you truly listen to the spirit and not the vain imaginings of your own mind. Far too many people think God is speaking to them when, in fact, it is their own imagination.

As in all other things, many are called to be a prophet, but few are chosen.

Comment

mfulstone

LOL

A true prophet does not speak from his own heart, but rather speaks as he is moved by the Holy Spirit.

Only a heart that speaks the truth is filled with the Holy Ghost...lol A man can not speek the true without the Holy Sprit.. To speak the truth is to live without fear.. Only a man without with the Holy Spirit lives in fear. Its what comes out of the heart that defiles a man..
                My mistake, i should have added that, but that's what i meant..lol

Thank you for clearing that up.. smiling

God Bless you, John

Comment

AND, I might add, prophets like Elijah, Elishah and John the baptist, did not appear to be all sweetness and light and love to those they rebuked.

They were moved by the very same Spirit that moves true prophets today.

Comment

Some churches and people are challenged by the prophet because they are( meaning the people) smug and comfortably insulated from a perrishing world in their warm but untested theology, and are not likely to vote him "Man of the year" when he refers to them as habituates of the synagogue of Satan!
                    The prophet comes to set up that which is upset. His work is to call into line those who are out of line! He is unpopular because he opposes the popular in morality and spirituality. In a day of faceless politicians and voiceless preachers, there is not a more urgent national need than that we cry to God for a prophet! The function of the prophet, as Austin-Sparks once said. "has almost always been that of recovery."

Mufulstone, your description of a prophet in the other thread was partly correct, but I did detect it being salted with some of your past experiences.

The prophet is Gods detective seeking for a lost treasure. The degree of his effectiveness is determined by his measure of unpopularity. Compromise is not known to him.
                    He has no price tags.
                    He is totally "otherworldly"
                    He is unquestionably controversial and unpardonably hostile.
                    He marches to another drummer!
                    He breathes the rarefied are of inspiration
                    He is a 'seer' who comes to lead the blind
                    He lives in the heights of God and comes into the valley with a "thus saith the Lord"
                    He shares some of the foreknowledge of God and so is aware if impending judgement.
                    He lives in "splendid isolation"
                    He is forthright and outright, but he claims no birthright
                    His message is "repent, be recounciled to God or else...!
                    His prophecies are parried
                    His truth brings torment, but his boice is never boid
                    He is the billain of today and the hero of tomorrow
                    He is excommunicated while alive and exalted when dead!
                    He is dishonored with epithets when breathing and honored with epitaphs when dead.
                    He is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, but few "make the grade" in his class
                    He is friendless while living and famous when dead.
                    His is against the establishment in ministry, then he is established as a saint by posterity
                    He eats daily the bread of affliction while he ministers, but he feeds the Bread of Life to those who listen
                    He walks before men for days but had walked before God for years
                    He is a scourge to the nation before he is scourged by the nation
                    He announces, pronounces, and denounces! He has a heart like a volcano and his words are as fire
                    He talks to men about God
                    He carries the lamp of truth amongst heretics while he is lampooned by men
                    He faces God before he faces men, but he is self-effacing
                    He hides with God in the secret place, but he has nothing to hide in the marketplace.
                    He is naturally sensitive but supernaturally spiritual
                    He has passion, purpose and pugnacity

He is ordained by God but disdaned by men

If you notice, the OT prophets were totalilty surrendered. Jeremiah tried to get God to leave him alone but God called him to be a prophet, so that was it.

Comment

Old and New

First of all the NT prophet is not an 'office'. And there are differences between a NT prophet and OT prophet.
                      sigpicLife! Just Live It!
                      http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
                        First of all the NT prophet is not an 'office'. And there are differences between a NT prophet and OT prophet.

Yes, I agree, but who would you say were the NT prophets. I don't think you could put John the Baptist in that category. A prophet simply proclaims God's Word. Does God have anything new to say or has He said every thing that He needs to to mankind? I believe a prophet and a preacher are the same thing. Not to be confused with a pastor however. Far too many people are claiming to be prophets with something new from God. I would think that we need to stay away from those people.

Comment

I believe the Bible is 100% complete and sufficient in holding every teaching and instruction we need, and it is lacking for nothing that a latter-day prophet would need to add in addition to what the bible says.

Comment

Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
                            Truly?

When people talk of "office gifts," this is the scripture most frequently quoted:
                            It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-13)
                            So... do you draw the line after prophets, and before evangelists? Or are all the gifts still necessary to the church?
                            Disconnection is not an option!

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. ~ John 15:5-8

Comment

Originally posted by ACCM View Post
                              1*Who qualifies for the office of a prophet?
                              2*What qualifies us for the office of a prophet?
                              3*Do we still need Prophets today?

Looking at Barnabas (Acts 11) I see a man with a lifelong willingness to obedience. He is an encourager.
                              1COR 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.(King James Version)
                              Definately a person full of Inner Peace and Joysomeone with a solid faith and filled with the Word
                              NOT a person that speaks doom???or is that allowed, if it scripture based and appropriate??
                              A prophet has to be 100% accurate. (Deut 18:22)
                              "Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether, prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;" Romans 12:6
                              This word (proportion) is a Greek word meaning “the right relation.” There is one prerequisite to using the gift of prophecy. Believers with this gift are warned not to proclaim anything beyond what God has already revealed within his Word. The “word of knowledge” movement is unscriptural.

Comment

Working...
                              X