Fear God or Love God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear God or Love God?

There is no fear where love exists. Rather, perfect love banishes fear, for fear involves punishment, and the person who lives in fear has not been perfected in love.

What in the world are you going to do with this verse?

Fear

I believe when someone becomes born again they experience the Fear of the Lord.Why?because i sensed my own nakedness before God Almighty.And Jesus said fear him!
    While asleep one night The Lord spoke to me in my mind.You see we can't even hide our thoughts from him .He knows all things!
    You see it was the Lord that woke me up to my lost and sinful nature and how lost i was.He could have passed by me,but he didn't.He made sure i heard his voice.And his voice will not return to him void!Why because he is the Word of God.
    It is the Lord that quickens us we do nothing to begin that work.The Lord will not fail in regenerating each called child.When he reachs for us he will not miss.In the new birth each child is born with the Love of God within them.This love the Lord gives us will not fail ,for it will conquer all bad things.Thats why sin will not have dominion over us .For the Love within us will overcome.The Lord takes up and abode within us and he his a abiding spirit.He will not leave us or forsake us.
    The holy spirit will make warfare within in us if need be,So we don't need a teacher we will learn a lesson.A lesson we won't forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Mixon View Post
      I believe when someone becomes born again they experience the Fear of the Lord.Why?because i sensed my own nakedness before God Almighty.And Jesus said fear him!
      While asleep one night The Lord spoke to me in my mind.You see we can't even hide our thoughts from him .He knows all things!
      You see it was the Lord that woke me up to my lost and sinful nature and how lost i was.He could have passed by me,but he didn't.He made sure i heard his voice.And his voice will not return to him void!Why because he is the Word of God.
      It is the Lord that quickens us we do nothing to begin that work.The Lord will not fail in regenerating each called child.When he reachs for us he will not miss.In the new birth each child is born with the Love of God within them.This love the Lord gives us will not fail ,for it will conquer all bad things.Thats why sin will not have dominion over us .For the Love within us will overcome.The Lord takes up and abode within us and he his a abiding spirit.He will not leave us or forsake us.
      The holy spirit will make warfare within in us if need be,So we don't need a teacher we will learn a lesson.A lesson we won't forget.
      Doesn't address the scripture, but this particular........................................ .................................................. ........................?

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
        There is no fear where love exists. Rather, perfect love banishes fear, for fear involves punishment, and the person who lives in fear has not been perfected in love.

Here's a guess, but I must admit first off that I am not "there".

If we can ever really believe that God really loves us the way He claims to, we'd never fear Him. Then even when we mess up or have a bad day, we'd run to Him and not away. We'd be able to trust that He really is working things out for us, and not pounding us for some unknown sin. We could believe that when everything goes to hell in our lives that is not Him doing it or causing it.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by stillforgiven View Post
          Here's a guess, but I must admit first off that I am not "there".

If we can ever really believe that God really loves us the way He claims to, we'd never fear Him. Then even when we mess up or have a bad day, we'd run to Him and not away. We'd be able to trust that He really is working things out for us, and not pounding us for some unknown sin. We could believe that when everything goes to hell in our lives that is not Him doing it or causing it.

Just a thought.
          Or if it is doing it or causing it, it is for our utter and complete good. Why should I fear that?

Comment

Sound of silence is deafening!

Hello darkness, my old friend,
            Ive come to talk with you again,
            Because a vision softly creeping,
            Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
            And the vision that was planted in my brain
            Still remains
            Within the sound of silence.

Comment

Oh dear, this is a catchy one........
              My gues is that we do not fear God when we love Him, but repsect Him and because we love Him will do what He commanded............Sorry bro, don't thin I can help, but would sure like to follow this thread!
              Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
              Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
              http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Comment

And we have come to KNOW and have believed the love which God has for us. God is Love and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in HIm.
                By this, love is perfected with us, that we may have confidence in the day of judgment, because as He is, so are we in this world.

Amen and Amen

Comment

It's starts out as reverence and then it should eventually move to a loving relationship with reverence still existing. I don't think fear of condemnation should be anywhere present in a perfect loving relationship. Reverence is not the same as being afraid of God. We can have respect for God's power and authority and at the same time love him.

Comment

"Fear God" does not mean to be afraid of him.

"Perfect love casts out all feelings of being afraid."

Two different uses of the English word "fear."

Comparing apples and Studebakers.

Comment

Originally posted by stillforgiven View Post

Just a thought.
                      These are my thoughts exactly. Fear doesn't drive one closer to anything..it only drives one away. It did so with Adam and Eve upon their disobedience, and it continues to do so with us to this day. I think one does need to be careful though of not having any type of reverence whatsoever before God in their relationship with him. That being said, there should be a certain degree of approachableness which enables one to come to him with any problem without being afraid of retribution...this verse below I think should embody the closeness and approachableness we have in coming to God through his son for respite and repentance.

Matthew 11:28-30
                      "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I can't imagine a God that is not approachable at all. How can anyone come to repentance, or have faith in something they can't even approach.
                      Last edited by Friend of I AM; Jan 28th 2009, 03:27 PM. Reason: grammar and clarification

Comment

Or if it is doing it or causing it, it is for our utter and complete good. Why should I fear that?
                        Until someone learns the full love of God, it still causes fear.

Like when I was younger, my dad would do things with me and it was good. But when he raised a hand to me in anger, deserved or not, I feared him for awhile afterwards, and that fear would override any trust of his love. It's the same for God, esp since we can't see Him and we know how powerful He is, and esp because the ends that justifies the means can be hard to see. We may never see some of them.

Comment

The same thing we do with other verses. Look at it in light of the entire scriptures. You do know the Greek word for fear here means "terror" and the word that Jesus uses when he teaches his disciples to fear God does not mean "terror" right?

They are two different words and mean different things. I would not fear my dad like I would fear hitler. Those are two different types of fear. Perfect love cast out terror. But it does not cast out proper fear.
                          Matt 9:13
                          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                          NASU

Comment

Hi Mike -

I love God and know that He loves me. I also stand in awe of God and have a fearful respect for His power, might and integrity.

I do not "fear" what He will "do" to me because i am His child and He loves me. I do stand in complete awe of His power - which means I have a fearful respect for Him and His abilities.

It's pretty amazing when you realize the Father you go to each and every day, several times a day, to talk over mundane things has the power to create the world. And He not only listens to my paltry needs, He answers me - He takes the time to answer me. Wow.
                            V
                            I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                            - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Vhayes View Post
                              Hi Mike -

I love God and know that He loves me. I also stand in awe of God and have a fearful respect for His power, might and integrity.

I do not "fear" what He will "do" to me because i am His child and He loves me. I do stand in complete awe of His power - which means I have a fearful respect for Him and His abilities.

It's pretty amazing when you realize the Father you go to each and every day, several times a day, to talk over mundane things has the power to create the world. And He not only listens to my paltry needs, He answers me - He takes the time to answer me. Wow.
                              V
                              It's not a spirit of timidity though VHayes..it's one of reverence for authority. This type of reverence stems from love..not from fear, and it gives power to a believer. This type of reverence is one of the "seven spirits of God" that the Holy Spirit is made up of.

Comment

Working...
                              X