Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He Promised to give us rest.... help me understand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Promised to give us rest.... help me understand.

Matthew 11:28
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Can someone give me a deeper understanding of this rest that Jesus promised to give to us?

God Bless
    I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
    My Rock & My Salvation
    Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
    Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post

Can someone give me a deeper understanding of this rest that Jesus promised to give to us?

God Bless
    Wow!!! What a beautiful loaded question That is one of my favorite verses, dear sister...

There are so many aspects of rest He promises to give us. Some I am still learning even after being a Christian for many years.

It is a rest from trying to please Him in our own efforts. It is a rest that we receive when we flee to Him for comfort from a broken heart or from oppression from the enemy.

It is a rest from producing spiritual fruit in our own strength or effort. It is a rest from finding our purpose and instead learning how to let Him reveal it to us.

It is a rest from struggling to be set free from sin and instead learning His way of deliverance. It is a rest from seeking ultimate satisfaction in outside circumstances, people or anything else and learning how to be content in finding our all in all in Him.....

....It is a rest that we come to experience when we begin discovering just how beautiful and how kind He is...and learn about His wonderful, wonderful Character and ways...
    ~ My testimony~

Comment

Originally posted by ConqueredbyLove View Post
      Wow!!! What a beautiful loaded question That is one of my favorite verses, dear sister...

There are so many aspects of rest He promises to give us. Some I am still learning even after being a Christian for many years.

It is a rest from trying to please Him in our own efforts. It is a rest that we receive when we flee to Him for comfort from a broken heart or from oppression from the enemy.

It is a rest from producing spiritual fruit in our own strength or effort. It is a rest from finding our purpose and instead learning how to let Him reveal it to us.

It is a rest from struggling to be set free from sin and instead learning His way of deliverance. It is a rest from seeking ultimate satisfaction in outside circumstances, people or anything else and learning how to be content in finding our all in all in Him.....

....It is a rest that we come to experience when we begin discovering just how beautiful and how kind He is...and learn about His wonderful, wonderful Character and ways...

WHOA that is deep.... its going to take sometime for that to sink in...
      My Rock & My Salvation

Comment

To me rest also means peace. I.e. "I am at peace" = "I am resting". Does this make sense?

God bless.
        Jeremiah 29:11
        "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

Comment

It IS a lot to absorb but knowing we are to rest in Him, reside in His will and in His arms, to allow Him to work through us, makes life a whole lot more peaceful!
          V
          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
          - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by paidforinfull View Post
            To me rest also means peace. I.e. "I am at peace" = "I am resting". Does this make sense?

God bless.
            Yes that does makes perfect sense.
            My Rock & My Salvation

Comment

I should of also added the rest of Matt. 11

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
              30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
              My Rock & My Salvation

Comment

Also- just to add to the subject;

Think of the purpose of the sabbath......
                It was in rememberance of the seventh day of creation, when God "rested".
                The sabbath was a day of "rest" from the other six days of work, and was a commandment during the time of the Mosaic laws.

Jesus was the fulfillment of the law, & BECAME the sabbath for us; which did away with the necessity to "keep the sabbath" according to the law.

So, not only is he saying he'll help carry our burden when it becomes too big for us, but he's also confirming the fulfillment of the law, and the end of the old covenant.

Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

WHOA that is deep.... its going to take sometime for that to sink in...

You are too funny...I wish I could give you one huge hug in person

I've been saved a long time
                  ~ My testimony~

Comment

I should of also added the rest of Matt. 11

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
                    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

In verse 29, you have the "key" to this rest. Jesus says "learn of me". That is the key to the rest we speak of. For it is in learning of Him and His ways, and His finished work on the Cross that we really begin to enter into the rest He speaks of.
                    ~ My testimony~

Comment

Originally posted by ConqueredbyLove View Post
                      You are too funny...I wish I could give you one huge hug in person

I've been saved a long time

Hugs are always welcommed!!! online and in person when we meet in glory!! Its true that was deep...im still munching on that one. I agree with you verse 29 is the answer most def. "learn of me" when I read that tears came to my eyes...so I figured I got into the core of my answer.

Thanks to all who helped me out yet again!

God Bless You All
                      Last edited by JesusReignsForever; Jan 29th 2009, 02:32 AM. Reason: brain on one page hands on another...
                      My Rock & My Salvation

Comment

'In Him' you will find that REST.... and In Him.. you will find His yoke easy and His burden 'light'... outside of that is nothing but man's attempt to achieve a righteouesness of his/her own.....

It means 'resting' In Him.. at His feet... one is no longer under condemnation or in fear of 'not knowing' that they have 'done enough to please God'... all 'credit' is given to Him... for what He has done...... ITS GOD CENTERED AND NOT MAN CENTERED...

and this was done on the Bloody Tree.... Believe, faith and Trust in that.. Resting in His completed Work...

He said.... "it is Finished".... and He meant it... you can't add to it nor can you take away from it... although many attempt to do.. but to no avail...

this statement by the Only True Living God.. has echoed thru Centuries and believers from each century... have Heard His call and felt Him draw them... and they have responded to it. and those have Believed and Trusted in it.. 'clinging' to it.. and IN HERE YOU WILL FIND THAT 'REST'... it doesnt make sense to the world.. nor to religion.. but its Truth.. and it still has 'power' today...

IT IS FINISHED....
                        Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                        Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

God Bless
                          The rest of knowing that we know longer have to concern ourselves with our lives, as our lives are entirely in his hands. Thus, worrying about life..and the concerns that we have in it are now his burden, and not ours. Hope this helps.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by theBelovedDisciple View Post
                            'In Him' you will find that REST.... and In Him.. you will find His yoke easy and His burden 'light'... outside of that is nothing but man's attempt to achieve a righteouesness of his/her own.....

It means 'resting' In Him.. at His feet... one is no longer under condemnation or in fear of 'not knowing' that they have 'done enough to please God'... all 'credit' is given to Him... for what He has done...... ITS GOD CENTERED AND NOT MAN CENTERED...

and this was done on the Bloody Tree.... Believe, faith and Trust in that.. Resting in His completed Work...

He said.... "it is Finished".... and He meant it... you can't add to it nor can you take away from it... although many attempt to do.. but to no avail...

this statement by the Only True Living God.. has echoed thru Centuries and believers from each century... have Heard His call and felt Him draw them... and they have responded to it. and those have Believed and Trusted in it.. 'clinging' to it.. and IN HERE YOU WILL FIND THAT 'REST'... it doesnt make sense to the world.. nor to religion.. but its Truth.. and it still has 'power' today...

IT IS FINISHED....
                            Very good points!! and that makes perfect sense...I'm starting to get the big picture... thanks!
                            My Rock & My Salvation

Comment

Suggested reading Hebrews chapters 3-4

Peace sister,
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X