"Earning" salvation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Earning" salvation?

This came up in another thread and it has been bothering me since... Whats the general consenses on "earning salvation"?

I think someone said (and I won't quote directly because I dunno how) basically, that a once only salvation message was taught by false teachers/preachers - which of course interested and intrigued me cause thats what I have been taught and what I believe.

I personally believe that salvation is something that is given as a free gift of God by his grace, to those who believe and place faith in Christ Jesus, and turn your life and your will to him and ask him to enter your life and be your Lord and Saviour. I believe that salvation is a once only happening. When your choice comes to either accept Christ or reject him and you choose to place your faith in him, then just like that - you are saved. Repentance, confession and a santification process comes as a response to being saved, not as a way of "earning salvation" . So continual sin or unrepentance in some area would not cause a person to need to re-give themselves to the Lord time and time again. As we can only be born of the flesh once, so is it with being born of the Spirit (although the Holy Spirit may empower us and move within us more powerfully at different times for different purposes) we are only -born into- Christ ONCE. If a constant repentance is what is needed to continually assure salvation - then why did Christ bother, we could be striving to constantly repent without Calvery! To me the mere suggestion that constant repentance is nessecary or a salvation requirement negates the power of Christ! Through Christ I am dead to sin and alive in the Spirit, note that - through Christ alone, not through repentance. Now because I am alive with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit I submit myself to the transforming sactification process and I surrender to it willingly in response to my once only salvation - and that is where I find true repentance. Christ wasn't crucified over and over again, just the once. Isn't anything else just a process of attempting to "earn" salvation which completely undermines the amazing gift of God's grace?

K - So thats the basics of the Gertie theology theory.... Just curious because as I say, a comment on false teachings has me intrigued... What do others think? How far wrong is my belief structure?

I believe that pretty much. Grace (unmerited favor) from God. All God's work, none of ours. I once heard that it is that way because when in heaven, though we will receive rewards, we will cast our crowns at the feet of God and in the end, God gets all the glory. ALL of it!
    I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Oh and as far as false teaching that would be mentioned in Galations. Almost the whole book talks about false teachers who tried to bring the believers there back into being justified by works (or the Law) after they had salvation by faith alone .

Comment

I think the quote that confused me was exactly that - false teachings of how works is required for salvation, not faith. But I may be reading that wrong too. Thank you for your input! Pleased to know Im not completely mucked up in my theology!

Comment

Sounds like what you ran across was a Once Saved, Always Saved (OSAS) discussion. There are several views, which I'm not going to go into at the moment. Midnight here!

Comment

Oh, aint I just a muggins! I havn't been around long enough or come across teachings past what I have had been taught - cause I didn't even realise that this (OSAS) was up for debate!
            Last edited by gertiegrl; Sep 17th 2007, 09:02 AM.

Comment

How can a person "earn" something that is impossible to attain on his own merits

The truth is, we have all sinned....sin is an ENORMOUS debt to pay....and impossible for us because we are sinners by nature.

It would be like someone robbing a bank, then trying to pay back the money by stealing from liquor stores.

The debt from sin is beyond our capacity to pay back...It is an eternal crime that altered the perfect creation of God. The ONLY one who is able to pay our debt is Christ Jesus....BECAUSE He was sinless. He was not born of sin, as we were...He was, and is, perfect.

2 Tim. 1:9 (God) who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began

Not only does trying to earn salvation undermine the work of Christ, as you said, but it also exhibits a lack of trust in His sacrifice. Basically, what one is saying by proclaining this is "Lord, I know that You died for my sins, but I don't believe You when You say that all I need to do is accept it. I really think I need to do more."

In essence, you are calling God a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by gertiegrl View Post
                K - So thats the basics of the Gertie theology theory.... Just curious because as I say, a comment on false teachings has me intrigued... What do others think? How far wrong is my belief structure?
                Great post Gertie!!!

Comment

Let me know when someone themselves has achieved the "righteous of Christ" and we can discuss earning salvation.

Comment

So continual sin or unrepentance in some area would not cause a person to need to re-give themselves to the Lord time and time again.
                    I believe such continual Sin would require genuine repentance (determination not to repeat that Sin in future) trusting Jesus Christ's death and resurrection on their behalf.

The difference between those who believe (a)OSAS and (b)NOSAS is that (a) believe that no matter what Sin without repentance a Saved person gets involved in, they will still spend eternity in Heaven (presumably complete with their Sin) even though God is so Holy that He turned away from Jesus on the cross because He bore our Sin; whereas (b) believe that even though a person committed their life to God through Jesus Christ, it is possible to forfeit spending eternity in Heaven with Him through constant, unrepented Sin.

ps. it is not possible for anyone to 'earn' Salvation - we can only receive it as a Gift of God's Grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                      The difference between those who believe (a)OSAS and (b)NOSAS is that (a) believe that no matter what Sin without repentance a Saved person gets involved in, they will still spend eternity in Heaven (presumably complete with their Sin) even though God is so Holy that He turned away from Jesus on the cross because He bore our Sin; whereas (b) believe that even though a person committed their life to God through Jesus Christ, it is possible to forfeit spending eternity in Heaven with Him through constant, unrepented Sin.

ps. it is not possible for anyone to 'earn' Salvation - we can only receive it as a Gift of God's Grace.
                      At the end of one's life, no one has resolved all of their sinful attitudes, and no one has repented of all their sins.
                      So option (b) is a no-win situation for everyone, there is no room for grace, mercy and forgiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
                        I once heard that it is that way because when in heaven, though we will receive rewards, we will cast our crowns at the feet of God and in the end, God gets all the glory. ALL of it!
                        I have heard that same thing from a very close friend of mine.

I think you hit it spot on, Gertie. I do believe, though, that it is possible to lose your salvation if you walk away from the Lord. Can you get it back? Yep! I did.
                        Tami (always learning, continually growing, constantly seeking)

Revelation 19:13 "And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God."

Comment

This came up in another thread and it has been bothering me since... Whats the general consenses on "earning salvation"?

I think someone said (and I won't quote directly because I dunno how) basically, that a once only salvation message was taught by false teachers/preachers - which of course interested and intrigued me cause thats what I have been taught and what I believe.

I personally believe that salvation is something that is given as a free gift of God by his grace, to those who believe and place faith in Christ Jesus, and turn your life and your will to him and ask him to enter your life and be your Lord and Saviour. I believe that salvation is a once only happening. When your choice comes to either accept Christ or reject him and you choose to place your faith in him, then just like that - you are saved. Repentance, confession and a santification process comes as a response to being saved, not as a way of "earning salvation" . So continual sin or unrepentance in some area would not cause a person to need to re-give themselves to the Lord time and time again. As we can only be born of the flesh once, so is it with being born of the Spirit (although the Holy Spirit may empower us and move within us more powerfully at different times for different purposes) we are only -born into- Christ ONCE. If a constant repentance is what is needed to continually assure salvation - then why did Christ bother, we could be striving to constantly repent without Calvery! To me the mere suggestion that constant repentance is nessecary or a salvation requirement negates the power of Christ! Through Christ I am dead to sin and alive in the Spirit, note that - through Christ alone, not through repentance. Now because I am alive with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit I submit myself to the transforming sactification process and I surrender to it willingly in response to my once only salvation - and that is where I find true repentance. Christ wasn't crucified over and over again, just the once. Isn't anything else just a process of attempting to "earn" salvation which completely undermines the amazing gift of God's grace?

In regard to the history of "once saved always saved," you might be interested in reading this paper:

http://the7ones.com/2007/04/19/augus...stic-theology/

God bless!

[CENTER][SIZE=2]A FEW MINUTES WITH SOMEONE WHO LOVES YOU

Comment

Again, when someone can be divinely perfect as Christ was then we can talk about earning and keeping salvation through works. Until then you have only Christ upon which to rely for the gift and the guarantee of salvation.

Comment

Hi Gertiegirl

The reality is that Christian churches of all denominations have a fall-away rate of 50% or more. So irrespective of what people say about being saved, there's a good likelihood that you, and I, and everyone else on this forum could fall away, un-save themselves, before Christ comes or we fall asleep in him (whichever happens first).

1Co 10:1 For I want you to know, brothers, [1] that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 and all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were scattered in the wilderness.

Ro 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off.

And so on. There are hundreds of warnings against unsaving yourself in the Bible. Pretending they aren't there is like driving without a seatbelt.
                              God bless
                              Steven

Comment

Working...
                              X