X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabbath?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on a question I have... I've seen this as a sub-theme in several threads and think it deserves (pardon the pun) it's own day in the sun

Is the Sabbath still in effect?

If so, is there a specific day it must be observed? Saturday? Sunday? Everyday?

And lastily, what specificially must we do (if anything) to "keep It holy"?

I'd give you my thoughts now, but I'm not sure I have an answer here... Just a question

Thanks and God Bless!

The sabbath (specifically) was for the Jews, as it was a part of the Old Testament laws. When Jesus came, the law was fulfilled.

That does not negate, however, the fact that we need to give God at least one day out of our week set aside to worship and rest, be it Sunday, Saturday, etc etc.

Of course Sunday is preferable since most churches assemble on Sundays.

Comment

I believe Jesus' teachings in the NT, and a common sense approach to the OT, indicate that the Sabbath was a ceremonial law. All OT ceremonial laws were shadows of a greater reality that we experience in Christ. In my opinion, the NT teaches & the church of the first 3 centuries believed that we now enjoy a perpetual Sabbath. Sunday through Friday were elevated to the level of Saturday and now we can and must rest from our 'works' and 'worship' the Lord 24/7.
      The Matthew Never Knew
      The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Hi Myqyl
        Check out this thread for some recent discussion on the subject of Saturday vs. Sunday: http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=99133
        http://www.mychristiansite.com/personal/vision/ <-- My site. Check it out

http://www.freehovind.com Please sign the petition to pardon Kent Hovind.

Comment

Originally posted by Myqyl View Post
          Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on a question I have... I've seen this as a sub-theme in several threads and think it deserves (pardon the pun) it's own day in the sun

I'd give you my thoughts now, but I'm not sure I have an answer here... Just a question

Thanks and God Bless!
          Shalom and WELCOME to the board!!!!

Just so you know, this subject is one of the most posted and re-posted topics!! You can do a search on the board and find OOOOOODLES of Sabbath threads.

Your question specifically was:
          The answer is YES. G-d never rescinded the Sabbath, so it is still on Saturday. Actually the Biblical day starts at sundown, so the Sabbath remains as the 7th day at sundown.

According to the Bible (BEFORE THE LAWS AND BEFORE THE JEWS) G-d rested on the 7th day and it holy. He has never changed that, so yes, the Sabbath remains as the 7th day, a holy day, a day of rest.
          Genesis 2
          2And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 3 So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.

We do as G-d did. Rest from our works (normal, mundane works) and we focus on Him (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and do things that glorify Jesus. We are not made holy by celebrating the Sabbath though, Jesus does that for us when we give our lives to Him. But, if we want to honor Him, His Word and His ways, we still observe and celebrate the Sabbath on the 7th day.

In our home we celebrate Sabbath Friday night and Saturday and pay special attention to giving Him thanks, staying in the Word, doing good things, sharing the Gospel, showing hospitality in His name.

HE is Holy and we give Him glory every day. But since G-d called out the seventh day for many reasons, we observe the day as a special time of communion and worship.

Sunday is a wonderful day to meet with the saints. We go to church on Sundays. But it is not the Sabbath. 2 different days. The Scriptures refer to Sunday as the first day of the week, the day Jesus arose, and many early churches met on Sundays. There is nothing wrong with meeting, worshiping, giving glory to G-d on Sunday, but it is not the day of rest, the Sabbath.

Everyday is a day devoted to worshiping G-d. 24 hours a day. 7 days a week. We are to be in prayer all the time. We are to serve all the time. However, there remains a Sabbath rest for G-d's people by lifting up and glorifying Jesus above all things and above all work:

Hebrews 4:
          Hebrews 4

1 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said,

"As I swore in my wrath,'They shall not enter my rest,'"

although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." 5And again in this passage he said,

"They shall not enter my rest."

6 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, 7again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted,

"Today, if you hear his voice,do not harden your hearts."
          8For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.

9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, 10 for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.

11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. 12 sharper than anyFor the word of God is living and active, two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Last edited by Vickilynn; Sep 18th 2007, 05:56 PM.
          ~~In Messiah,
          Vickilynn
          Micah 6:8

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myqyl View Post
            Hi all,

Thanks and God Bless!
            One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day regardeth it to the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. Romans 14:5,6.

Be persuaded in your own mind!

God Bless

FF

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits
              Be persuaded in your own mind!

However, before you're persuaded in your own mind study the scriptures and ask God to reveal to you the truth of things, and give you knowledge and understanding.

After you have exhausted it all, then you may be convinced in your own mind.

Peace to you,
              Tanja
              Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
              2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
              If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
              http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
                However, before you're persuaded in your own mind study the scriptures and ask God to reveal to you the truth of things, and give you knowledge and understanding.

Peace to you,
                Tanja

Shalom Tanja,

Amen, studying the Scriptures comes FIRST because we need the mind of G-d and His truth to be fully convinced of.

We are not to be fully convinced of whatever we think, but we are to study, study, study, ask for the L-rd to show us the truth and stand on THAT, fully convinced that we have heard from the L-rd.
                ~~In Messiah,
                Vickilynn

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post

Peace to you,
                  Tanja
                  Let us have a look at what Paul said in Galatians 4:9,10.

But now after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
                  Ye observe days, and months, times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have beststowed upon you labour in vain.

This again is Paul speaking, so from your studies, what is Paul speaking about?

FF

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                    Let us have a look at what Paul said in Galatians 4:9,10.

But now after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
                    Ye observe days, and months, times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have beststowed upon you labour in vain.

This again is Paul speaking, so from your studies, what is Paul speaking about?

FF
                    Shalom FF,

What I know is that he is NOT speaking of the Sabbath celebration in Messiah or forbidding it. In fact, I believe that Paul is referring to idol worship, not G-d's holy days, which PAUL HIMSELF observed. Also,

8 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods.
                    This refers to idols, not G-d.

9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? (pagan worship)

10You observe days and months and seasons and years.
                    11I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain.
                    ~~In Messiah,
                    Vickilynn

sigpic

Comment

Shalom,

Matthew Henry's commentary on Galatians 4:9-10)

http://www.biblegateway.com/resource...2&seq=i.55.4.2
                      The happy change made in the Gentile believers.

The happy change whereby the Galatians were turned from idols to the living God, and through Christ had received the adoption of sons, was the effect of his free and rich grace; they were laid under the greater obligation to keep to the liberty wherewith he had made them free.

All our knowledge of God begins on his part; we know him because we are known of him. Though our religion forbids idolatry, yet many practice spiritual idolatry in their hearts. For what a man loves most, and
                      cares most for, that is his god: some have their riches for their god, some their pleasures, and some their lusts. And many ignorantly worship a god of their own making; a god made all of mercy and no justice. For they persuade themselves that there is mercy for them with God, though they repent not, but go on in their sins. It is possible for those who have made great professions of religion, to be afterwards drawn aside from purity and simplicity.

And the more mercy God has shown, in bringing any to know the gospel, and the liberties and privileges of it, the greater their sin and folly in suffering themselves to be deprived of them. Hence all who are members of the outward church should learn to fear and to suspect themselves. We must not be content because we have some good things in ourselves. Paul fears lest his labour is in vain, yet he still labours; and thus to do, whatever follows, is true wisdom and the fear of God. This every man must remember in his place and calling.
                      ~~In Messiah,
                      Vickilynn

sigpic

Comment

Colossians 2:16&17
                        16 So donít let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17 For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself.

This tells me that God no longer requires anyone to practice the old covenant observance of special feasts holidays or sabbaths.

Comment

If our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God!

It is written; If our heart condemn us not, then we have confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we recieve of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
                          AND THIS IS HIS COMMANDMENT, That we should believe on his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he (Jesus) gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his (Christs) commandments dewleth in him (Christ), and he in him (Christ). And hereby we know that he (Jesus) abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. 1 John 3:21-24

It is by keeping Christs commandments that we abide in Christ, and Christ in us.

It is also written: And he is our propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. Andhereby we do know that we know him (Jesus), if we keep his (Jesus) commandment. he that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his (Christs) word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hreby know we that we are in him.

It is the word/teaching/commandments of Christ, that if we abide that we are not condemned.

It is written that if we keep the whole law of Moses and yet offend in one point that we are guilty of all, we are condemned. James 2:10.

Let me say this, the Mosaic law is not wrong, it came from God, but if not kept as given by God through Moses, it Condemns.

Comment

Originally posted by jiggyfly View Post
                            Colossians 2:16&17
                            16 So donít let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17 For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself.

This tells me that God no longer requires anyone to practice the old covenant observance of special feasts holidays or sabbaths.
                            Shalom Jiggy,

Actually, you've got that backwards! It means that we have the FREEDOM to observe the Sabbath without judgment, criticism or condemnation from other Christians. This passage was speaking to those in the L-rd who were observing Biblical feasts and Sabbaths and receiving flack for it, just like today.
                            ~~In Messiah,
                            Vickilynn

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
                              It is written; If our heart condemn us not, then we have confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we recieve of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
                              AND THIS IS HIS COMMANDMENT, That we should believe on his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he (Jesus) gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his (Christs) commandments dewleth in him (Christ), and he in him (Christ). And hereby we know that he (Jesus) abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. 1 John 3:21-24

It is by keeping Christs commandments that we abide in Christ, and Christ in us.

It is also written: And he is our propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. Andhereby we do know that we know him (Jesus), if we keep his (Jesus) commandment. he that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his (Christs) word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hreby know we that we are in him.

It is the word/teaching/commandments of Christ, that if we abide that we are not condemned.

It is written that if we keep the whole law of Moses and yet offend in one point that we are guilty of all, we are condemned. James 2:10.

Let me say this, the Mosaic law is not wrong, it came from God, but if not kept as given by God through Moses, it Condemns.

Shalom FF,

Well, you've gone off on some sort of tangent. Your responses are common, but they are misrepresentative of the truth concerning this topic.

No one is condemning anyone for not observing the Sabbath.

No one is "keeping the Law."

The Sabbath has nothing to do with the Mosiac Law.

No one is saying Christians MUST observe the Sabbath.

Christians who condemn others Christians for observing the Sabbath in the Messiah are in error. (Colossians 2:16-17)
                              ~~In Messiah,
                              Vickilynn

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X