Baptism with water AND spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism with water AND spirit

I was baptised with water before I was a Christian (as a baby). I asked the Lord to come into my heart and He did (about seven years ago, as an adult...)

Does that mean I have 'fulfilled' my baptism with the water AND the spirit?

CL
    Matthew 27:55
    And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him.

Originally posted by Christian_lady View Post
    I was baptised with water before I was a Christian (as a baby). I asked the Lord to come into my heart and He did (about seven years ago, as an adult...)

CL

Hi CL,

The Bible says that baptism is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38; 22:16). We also read that baptism is for a believer (Mark 16:16; Acts 8:37). In order to be a believer in the Christ as the Son of God, one must hear the Word (Romans 10:17).

Therefore, baptism as an infant is not the baptism commanded by the Great Commission, because it does not involve knowledge of Him as the Son of God, nor does it involve choice to act in faith on the part of the candidate for baptism.

To be born of water and Spirit means to be baptized as a believer. In this process, you are buried with Christ, dying to self, and being raised into a new life (Romans 6:3-8). A believer must have faith that the act of being baptized for the remission of sins is the working of God (Col. 2:12).

In baptism, one is "putting on Christ" (Gal. 3:26-29) and being added to the church by Jesus Christ Himself (Acts 2:47).

There is no place in scripture that teaches we can "ask Jesus into our hearts" and be placed into a right relationship with God. There is no "book, chapter and verse" for a "sinner's prayer."

Hope this helps answer your question. God bless you!

[CENTER][SIZE=2]A FEW MINUTES WITH SOMEONE WHO LOVES YOU

Comment

Originally posted by Christian_lady View Post

CL
      Baptism in the spirit is when you are born again throught the spirit of God (saved).

"John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire" Luke 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
        Baptism in the spirit is when you are born again throught the spirit of God (saved).

"John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire" Luke 3:16

No, baptism in the Spirit isn't the same as being born again. Being baptised in the Spirit is the Promise of the Father-it is the childrens bread-in other words-it is for Christians-remember Paul asked the Ephesian believers..."have you received the Holy Spirit SINCE you believed?' Acts 19

When one is baptised in the Spirit the initial evidence is speaking in tongues as the Spirit enables--Acts 2:4, Acts 19:6, Acts 10:46

Comment

Originally posted by Matt14 View Post

There is no place in scripture that teaches we can "ask Jesus into our hearts" and be placed into a right relationship with God. There is no "book, chapter and verse" for a "sinner's prayer."

Hope this helps answer your question. God bless you!
          You need to read the statement of faith for this Forum. No where does it state that baptism is necessary for salvation.

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post
            No, baptism in the Spirit isn't the same as being born again. Being baptised in the Spirit is the Promise of the Father-it is the childrens bread-in other words-it is for Christians-remember Paul asked the Ephesian believers..."have you received the Holy Spirit SINCE you believed?' Acts 19

When one is baptised in the Spirit the initial evidence is speaking in tongues as the Spirit enables--Acts 2:4, Acts 19:6, Acts 10:46
            I disagree...

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;" Titus 3:5

Comment

You need to read the statement of faith for this Forum.
              I'm sure I've read it. I've been here several years.

No where does it state that baptism is necessary for salvation.
              I'm more interested in what the scriptures say. How about you?

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13
              Act 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.'

God bless, and good to meet you.

-

Comment

I'm sure I've read it. I've been here several years.
                I'm more interested in what the scriptures say. How about you?
                -
                The statement of faith on this forum says baptism is not necessary for salvation. What you believe is out of scope with the accepted (and posted) view of salvation on this Forum.

Moderator - Please advise.

Comment

The statement of faith on this forum says baptism is not necessary for salvation. What you believe is out of scope with the accepted (and posted) view of salvation on this Forum.

I've only spoken what the scriptures say. Don't you want to talk about that, instead of a man-made creed?

If you disagree with the scriptures posted above, why not tell me where and why you disagree?

Comment

Scripture supported debated over the necessity of baptism for salvation is allowed. Do a search, and you'll see it's been discussed many times.

...and Matt14 is often right in the thick of it!
                    θεοφιλε

Comment

Originally posted by Theophilus View Post
                      Scripture supported debated over the necessity of baptism for salvation is allowed. Do a search, and you'll see it's been discussed many times.

...and Matt14 is often right in the thick of it!
                      Thanks, Theophilus. Good to see you again!

Comment

Sold Out, I would love to discuss this matter with you further.

Comment

Matt14 used to be an Administrator here at Bibleforums. And I don't think his beliefs have changed since then.

By the way.....Howdy Matt! It's good to see you.
                          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Whispering Grace View Post
                            Matt14 used to be an administrator here at Bibleforums. And I don't think his beliefs have changed since then.

By the way.....Howdy Matt! It's good to see you.
                            Hey sis, now you aren't saying I'm hard-headed, are you?

I prefer the term, "thoroughly convinced!"

Good to see you!

Comment

Thanks, Theophilus. Good to see you again!
                              Back atcha.

You, too, WeeGee.
                              θεοφιλε

Comment

Working...
                              X