Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edification - Peaceful or Dividing Process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edification - Peaceful or Dividing Process?

I am finding as of late that I am becoming much more confrontational in representing what I know to be the Truth of God's Word. Some people might view this as being quarrelsome, although I don't think I've attempted to do so with the intention of just arguing. So my question to you all is, when searching for Truth - do you believe that it is more so of a confrontational or peaceful process?

I believe part of it is how we present that truth. If we need to correct someone, we should do it in a loving way, not a "I know more than you do so nah nah nah nah..." Everyone and I mean everyone hasn't got it 100% right, or 100% wrong. If you truly believe you are right, then it's God's job to place that word in the other person's heart and convict them, not yours. Being rude/confrontational only turns people off, it doesn't shed light anywhere. The Bible says to live in peace with everyone, so if someone isn't willing to hear/accept a truth, let it go, you did your part, the rest is up to God and the other person.

Comment

I agree with you for the most part. I think with me though, it's a bit different with my walk as of late, because I've generally been a pretty passive person over the years...probably too much so. I think some of this confrontation was actually brought on by the Word to assist me in rightfully dividing the Truth.

Oh yeah one more thing...

"I know more than you do so nah nah nah nah..."

Comment

Originally posted by friend of I am View Post
        I am finding as of late that I am becoming much more confrontational in representing what I know to be the Truth of God's Word. Some people might view this as being quarrelsome, although I don't think I've attempted to do so with the intention of just arguing. So my question to you all is, when searching for Truth - do you believe that it is more so of a confrontational or peaceful process?
        Ive honestly found that in my past I sought Gods wisdom and understanding just so I could be intellectually stimulated or join in or add to worthy and even unworthy conversations.
        Or even so I could pluck the splinter from my fellows eye.
        These were my reasons and motivations for seeking knowledge from God after my salvation was assured.

Now I find my self lately (like this weekend lately) I've been seeking this same knowledge of my God but, for one and only one reason and motivation.
        To know and understand my God who loves me and who suffers patiently for His creation, since I started approaching my growing in knowledge of Him this way He allowed me to really start growing not just in intellect but in the likeness of Him.
        By Him letting me see Him in His glory and in all of His other attributes I receive that same glory and those same attributes more and more and, I am finally finding all of the things I've been lacking spiritually because now I seek Him for my perfection and holiness rather than for my intellectual knowledge to puff myself up before my fellows.

So now my seeking is preparing me for a restoration and I wont stop to pluck any splinters from my fellows until Gods glory and separated holiness in me removes the tree in my own eye.
        After the tree is gone I wont have to worry about my reasons and motives. I'll just start plucking away in Spirit and in power that He provided, and not provided by my own intellect.

God bless you.

Comment

Thanks for the enlightening testimony walked.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by friend of I am View Post
            You probably have the gift of prophecy....speaking the truth without apology!

Of course you are going to offend...so did John the Baptist and Jesus, and Paul. God's Word is going to offend the world, and even some Christians.

We should speak the truth in love, but never compromise the truth.

Comment

There is a core set of beliefs on which all variations rest. I think it is important to agree on the essentials. However beyond that there are many different variations in doctorine. I think the important question in those cases should be "does it matter if i am right or wrong?"

It is healthy to loving discuss and compare scriptures, and i think that our responsibility to be in scripture to continually learn learn learn is essential.

As a Methodist minister at a multi-denominational fellowship said, "Who am I to say that I, or the Methodist church, has the corner on the absolute truth? How dare I claim to be the one who knows everything about everything concerning the scriptures?"

Be careful that your defensiveness for your brand of the truth isn't a curtain for a reason to boast and defend your own pride.

I participate in dialogs with many people of many different doctrinal variances. All have valid arguments and defences for what they believe. We can maturly discuss all such matters with love, knowing that our goal isn't to "sell" our doctrinal beliefs. The faith journey is a personal path. There are the bare essentials and the question filled minor elements.

I can tell you this, though: whenever I encounter someone who has it in their mind that they are "right" and everyone else with a differing opinion, or a legitimate question or confusion, is wrong (or rather an idiot or stupid), they get shut off and are unintentionally mde to feel unwelcome in discussion.

Be in love.

<3

Is it more fruitful to be correct, or to be in the word studying many different view points?

Comment

Interesting opinions thus far. Recently for myself edification has seemed to be more of a dividing process - as oppossed to a uniting one. I've found that I've had to really look at some of the core things that I've grown up believing, and re-analyze them to see if they truly coincide with scripture.

Sometimes my tone may come across as brusque/coarse in doing so. Some of this is probably because I've been under a lot of pressure as of late - which has really tested my faith. I'll have to pray to God to have patience with me as well as give me more patience with him and others in the light of a lot of uncontollable circumstances right now.

Comment

Originally posted by walked View Post
                  Ive honestly found that in my past I sought Gods wisdom and understanding just so I could be intellectually stimulated or join in or add to worthy and even unworthy conversations.
                  Or even so I could pluck the splinter from my fellows eye.
                  These were my reasons and motivations for seeking knowledge from God after my salvation was assured.

Now I find my self lately (like this weekend lately) I've been seeking this same knowledge of my God but, for one and only one reason and motivation.
                  To know and understand my God who loves me and who suffers patiently for His creation, since I started approaching my growing in knowledge of Him this way He allowed me to really start growing not just in intellect but in the likeness of Him.
                  By Him letting me see Him in His glory and in all of His other attributes I receive that same glory and those same attributes more and more and, I am finally finding all of the things I've been lacking spiritually because now I seek Him for my perfection and holiness rather than for my intellectual knowledge to puff myself up before my fellows.

So now my seeking is preparing me for a restoration and I wont stop to pluck any splinters from my fellows until Gods glory and separated holiness in me removes the tree in my own eye.
                  After the tree is gone I wont have to worry about my reasons and motives. I'll just start plucking away in Spirit and in power that He provided, and not provided by my own intellect.

God bless you.

Amen.
                  And it is in this state that we find we are FAR less confrontational. While yes we love the truth, we also are filled with HIS love and compassion, so people are more willing to hear the truth from us. Making it much easier to share the truth, because they ask.
                  At times you will still run into those who just want to butt heads and attack your beliefs. But in those cases I have found that my reaction is much different than it used to be...I realize that I don't have to prove anything, just answer, and sometimes I don't even have to answer the person, just let them know that they are free to believe what they wish, however that doesn't change the truth.
                  Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

thank you Lord for this topic
                    may the Lord bless you all

Walked
                    Amen

Friend of I am

It is true that one can get caught up in speaking the Truth and expecting others to respond with an amen, but most of the time that’s not the case.

It is also true that the meat of the Word is to be offered with salt as in we are to be the salt of the earth.

But never ever let yourselves be deterred from STANDING IN THE TRUTH. Always take the side with Jesus no matter what.

Lev:2:
                    11: No meat offering, which ye shall bring unto the LORD, shall be made with leaven: for ye shall burn no leaven, nor any honey, in any offering of the LORD made by fire.
                    12: As for the oblation of the firstfruits, ye shall offer them unto the LORD: but they shall not be burnt on the altar for a sweet savour.
                    13: And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

Note in verse 11 leaven and honey are unacceptable in the meat offering (the meat of the Word) most Holy. It has been my thankful experience in dealing with the leaven of church or religious leadership, (as in dog pack mentality of I dominate you and you subject yourself to me else you are not servant of the Lord) this leaven is killing the effectiveness of God’s church. Also the honey, there are those always throwing sugar to make everything sweet and feel good rather then the feeding of the meat of the Word (with salt). The daily bread as we are instructed to pray for in the Lord’s prayer. There are many that don’t take a liking to some one that the Lord reveals His Word through and it’s not them, do to there position, or it is not a feel good. So they become belligerent and deliberate to avoid the Truth. As the Lord Jesus has warned beware of the leaven of the pharisees. What is the salt? The salt keeps the meat so that it is safe to eat.
                    Let there be Light

Comment

Originally posted by DPMartin View Post
                      thank you Lord for this topic
                      may the Lord bless you all

Walked
                      Amen

Friend of I am

It is true that one can get caught up in speaking the Truth and expecting others to respond with an amen, but most of the time that’s not the case.

It is also true that the meat of the Word is to be offered with salt as in we are to be the salt of the earth.

But never ever let yourselves be deterred from STANDING IN THE TRUTH. Always take the side with Jesus no matter what.

Lev:2:
                      11: No meat offering, which ye shall bring unto the LORD, shall be made with leaven: for ye shall burn no leaven, nor any honey, in any offering of the LORD made by fire.
                      12: As for the oblation of the firstfruits, ye shall offer them unto the LORD: but they shall not be burnt on the altar for a sweet savour.
                      13: And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

Note in verse 11 leaven and honey are unacceptable in the meat offering (the meat of the Word) most Holy. It has been my thankful experience in dealing with the leaven of church or religious leadership, (as in dog pack mentality of I dominate you and you subject yourself to me else you are not servant of the Lord) this leaven is killing the effectiveness of God’s church. Also the honey, there are those always throwing sugar to make everything sweet and feel good rather then the feeding of the meat of the Word (with salt). The daily bread as we are instructed to pray for in the Lord’s prayer. There are many that don’t take a liking to some one that the Lord reveals His Word through and it’s not them, do to there position, or it is not a feel good. So they become belligerent and deliberate to avoid the Truth. As the Lord Jesus has warned beware of the leaven of the pharisees. What is the salt? The salt keeps the meat so that it is safe to eat.
                      I'm sorry for going off topic here for a moment but,
                      Thank you I've always considered salt to be used as a preservative when used in scripture until someone pointed out that it is used in scripture to point to its use to flavor or gracefully present something.
                      So you presenting salt also being used to preserve/keep the meat offering from spoiling, places salt with a dual function, that includes my previous understanding of it when used in scripture.

Comment

Speaking of salt, does anyone have any light on these verses?

(Lev 2:13 KJV) And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

(Num 18:19 KJV) All the heave offerings of the holy things, which the children of Israel offer unto the LORD, have I given thee, and thy sons and thy daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: it is a covenant of salt for ever before the LORD unto thee and to thy seed with thee.

(2 Chr 13:5 KJV) Ought ye not to know that the LORD God of Israel gave the kingdom over Israel to David for ever, even to him and to his sons by a covenant of salt?
                        Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                        And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                        Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                        Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Mograce2U View Post
                          Speaking of salt, does anyone have any light on these verses?

(Lev 2:13 KJV) And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

(Num 18:19 KJV) All the heave offerings of the holy things, which the children of Israel offer unto the LORD, have I given thee, and thy sons and thy daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: it is a covenant of salt for ever before the LORD unto thee and to thy seed with thee.

(2 Chr 13:5 KJV) Ought ye not to know that the LORD God of Israel gave the kingdom over Israel to David for ever, even to him and to his sons by a covenant of salt?
                          Those are the scriptures that lead me to believe salt was used as a preservative in these references.
                          And then if I apply that to we (called out ones) are to be salt to the earth, then I take it as we are to preserve the earth from Gods wrath in His righteous judgment by being salt to the earth until Christ Jesus returns.
                          kinda like Christ now is intercessor in heaven for the called out ones on earth.
                          The called out ones on earth are intercessor's to heaven above for our unredeemed fellows on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                            Of course you are going to offend...so did John the Baptist and Jesus, and Paul. God's Word is going to offend the world, and even some Christians.

We should speak the truth in love, but never compromise the truth.
                            I agree. Also, what some regard as objectionable 'confrontation' may well be you confronting their error with God's Truth - so ask Him first what you should say and how you should say it.

Comment

Originally posted by walked View Post
                              Those are the scriptures that lead me to believe salt was used as a preservative in these references.
                              And then if I apply that to we (called out ones) are to be salt to the earth, then I take it as we are to preserve the earth from Gods wrath in His righteous judgment by being salt to the earth until Christ Jesus returns.
                              kinda like Christ now is intercessor in heaven for the called out ones on earth.
                              The called out ones on earth are intercessor's to heaven above for our unredeemed fellows on earth.
                              Hi Walked,
                              What is interesting is that we are now called to have this salt in ourselves. This covenantal salt which salted the sacrifices also made them tasty to eat. We are to be gracious and loving to others and also grounded in truth. This is perhaps how our words are to be found tasty to others so that they can be easily entreated (eaten). I am musing here...
                              Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                              And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                              Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                              Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                              X