Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst Bible version

Hiyo
    There's been a little discussion about Bible versions in the polls sub-forum, but there's one Bible version that probably is the most popular, and the most influential, and the most cited, which is also the most inaccurate, the most misleading, and sometimes 180 opposite of what the Word of God actually says.

Take for example
    "for to be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord"
    I just did a search for the string "absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" to see how many times that misquote appears on this board, 197 hits. Then I did a string search for the correct 2Co5:8 "to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord", 95 hits and 2Co5:6 "while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord", 4 hits.

Okay that's probably not a representative example because that's one of the classic 'what we want to be believe' verses and it is rarely quoted correctly even in graveside orations. But how much casual misquoting of the Bible can we do before we invent a new Bible?

There are differences between Bible versions, and none of them is perfect, but these failings are small beans compared to the "translation errors" that happen between the retina and the brain, or between the brain and the tongue (or keyboard).

This book is supposed to be the message of God to us, yet how many of us type with either e-Sword open or a paper Bible next to the keyboard?

Just an observation - a reminder to myself as much as anyone.
    God bless
    Steven

What translation are you talking about? It sounds like a paraphrased Bible more than a literal translation.

Comment

Originally posted by enarchay View Post
      What translation are you talking about? It sounds like a paraphrased Bible more than a literal translation.
      That's the point - sorry, it isn't a paper translation it's what we do with the real translations when we pass them through the filters in our heads.

We don't compare well to the Victorians, even colliers and textile workers, who were able to quote the Bible verbatim.

Comment

I' d say the" message bible" was a big mistake.

But yes its meant to well up from within you--
        --he who has an ear , let him hear what the SPIRIT is saying to the Churches.
        Wasnt the OT misused by the pharisees........
        ..but he who does not have the Spirit of God cant possibly understand what he was saying anyway.
        And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Hi Jeff
          Originally posted by jeffweeder View Post
          I' d say the" message bible" was a big mistake.
          Strangely enough, speaking purely as a commercial translator, I have a lot of respect for Eugene H. Peterson,

He seems to have a real flair and honesty that you don't get with the often politically-correct committees such as the NIV. A bit of a Tyndale or J.B. Philips figure. But yes you wouldn't use it as a study Bible only a make-you-think paraphrase for cleaning out cobwebs.

But yes its meant to well up from within you--
          --he who has an ear , let him hear what the SPIRIT is saying to the Churches.
          Wasnt the OT misused by the pharisees........
          ..but he who does not have the Spirit of God cant possibly understand what he was saying anyway.
          Amen
          S.

Comment

Rsv

Well, I have always liked the 'Ravi Standard Version' the best...
            sigpicLife! Just Live It!
            http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

The NIV is a bit sad, I used to use it, but as I grew in the faith it fell by the wayside. The English is pleasing to read....but at this stage in my Christian Pilgrimage it is almost like "So what. Yes, it reads well, but is at times is not only inaccurate but misleading!" Not how I want to feel about what I am calling the word of God!

Comment

Shalom,

The only "worst version" of the Bible is the one that we refuse to read and live out.

Translation errors are rectified by doing studies with several translations. It's not a biggie. The Holy Spirit can reveal the SPIRIT of the verse if we are open to the truth about what G-d is trying to say to us.

Different versions are fine, just for study purposes, I use several and compare them.
                ~~In Messiah,
                Vickilynn
                Micah 6:8

sigpic

Comment

Grew up reading/using KJ version. Usually use the NIV at home - and the YLT or the ASV to post scripture in various message boards. I have found that most versions have issues...gotta just have faith in the Holy Spirit in interpreting everything for you...no one's going to get it 100% right.

Comment

Originally posted by Vickilynn View Post
                    Shalom,

The only "worst version" of the Bible is the one that we refuse to read and live out.

Translation errors are rectified by doing studies with several translations. It's not a biggie. The Holy Spirit can reveal the SPIRIT of the verse if we are open to the truth about what G-d is trying to say to us.

Different versions are fine, just for study purposes, I use several and compare them.
                    I agee to a point....but this begs an important question, are you saying there are no bad translations? I agree some might have certain weaknesses others do not, but shall I pick up a translation that based upon bias of the translators undermines the Deity of Christ.....and say no Biggie...I can just wait for the Holy Ghost to show me the truth. Is this proper....or is it pressumption?

Comment

Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
                      Hiyo
                      There's been a little discussion about Bible versions in the polls sub-forum, but there's one Bible version that probably is the most popular, and the most influential, and the most cited, which is also the most inaccurate, the most misleading, and sometimes 180 opposite of what the Word of God actually says.

Take for exampleI just did a search for the string "absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" to see how many times that misquote appears on this board, 197 hits. Then I did a string search for the correct 2Co5:8 "to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord", 95 hits and 2Co5:6 "while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord", 4 hits.

Okay that's probably not a representative example because that's one of the classic 'what we want to be believe' verses and it is rarely quoted correctly even in graveside orations. But how much casual misquoting of the Bible can we do before we invent a new Bible?

There are differences between Bible versions, and none of them is perfect, but these failings are small beans compared to the "translation errors" that happen between the retina and the brain, or between the brain and the tongue (or keyboard).

This book is supposed to be the message of God to us, yet how many of us type with either e-Sword open or a paper Bible next to the keyboard?

Just an observation - a reminder to myself as much as anyone.
                      God bless
                      Steven
                      I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but I'll give it a try.
                      2Corinthians 5:8-"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." KJV

2 Corinthians 5:8-"We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." NIV

2 Corinthians 5:8-" 6-8That's why we live with such good cheer. You won't see us drooping our heads or dragging our feet! Cramped conditions here don't get us down. They only remind us of the spacious living conditions ahead. It's what we trust in but don't yet see that keeps us going. Do you suppose a few ruts in the road or rocks in the path are going to stop us? When the time comes, we'll be plenty ready to exchange exile for homecoming." THE MESSAGE

Ok the message is the worst..but other versions whether we say it word for word when we write it out means the same...to be absent from the body "is" to be present with the Lord..or are you saying that isn't true? whether I say I would rather be present with the Lord or prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord...are you saying that the Bible is not clear as to whether or not we will be?

just curious.
                      .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                      .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by anglican-cat View Post
                        I agee to a point....but this begs an important question, are you saying there are no bad translations?
                        Shalom AC,

I believe there are better translations than others. However, my faith is not in the words on the page, but the Spirit who wrote the words.

There are "versions" (paraphrases)that I wouldn't touch, but I think most of the translations are decent and have only minor discrepancies, not ones that undermine the Deity of Messiah.

There is a difference between a version (paraphrase) and a translation.
                        ~~In Messiah,
                        Vickilynn
                        Micah 6:8

sigpic

Comment

Shalom AC,

I believe there are better translations than others. However, my faith is not in the words on the page, but the Spirit who wrote the words.
                          100% agree with you here Vicki.

Comment

Shalom AC,

There are "versions" (paraphrases)that I wouldn't touch, but I think most of the translations are decent and have only minor discrepancies, not ones that undermine the Deity of Messiah.

There is a difference between a version (paraphrase) and a translation.
                            I (with due respect my Sister in Christ) find your stance interesting from one who is part of Jewish Roots, I call it interesting due to the fact that the Jewish people (thankfully) put HUGE stock in keeping the fidelity and faithfulness of the Torah intact. When copies were being made a each "page" was checked and double checked for example one mistake in a letter might allow for a correction if possible.........more than that.....it was burned and start-over time began. We can and should be thankful for this! Look, I have read your posts you strike me as a clear thinker and I have NO wish to even sound like I am trying to insult you, but I must admit, I am glad those careful scribes did not shrug their shoulder and say "Well, at least we got the spirit of the thing!" I hope you see where I am coming from with this. Grace and Peace.
                            Last edited by anglican-cat; Sep 25th 2007, 05:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I don't care much for paraprased ones at all. However, if a persons reading skill would keep them from reading at all other translations, who would I be to say a paraphrase would not be profitable for them.
                              It's a fact. Different folks like different things for various reasons. I'm a "wordy" person so I really like the word for word translation, but others may enjoy the over all feel of reading such as a paraphrase.
                              I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Working...
                              X