Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"grace in vain" (warning to us grace potatoes) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "grace in vain" (warning to us grace potatoes) :)

At the risk of being accused of backsliding into legalism, this would be a good verse for a T-shirt

1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.

What do you want this discussion to be about?

Comment

Originally posted by enarchay View Post
      What do you want this discussion to be about?
      Well I obviously have a fixed opinion, shown by the slightly naughty term "grace potatoes" in the thread title, that sometimes with too much emphasis on "grace" and "free gift", wonderful though that all is, we can become couch potato Christians who work on the principle that it is more blessed to receive (from God) than give (to our fellow men). The context - a million miles from this board - is recently having heard someone describing charity work as "legalistic". But then I came across this verse again and thought, "now, that's a balanced view of grace"... But I may soon be corrected
      S

Comment

Indeed! There are other verses that speak of falling short of the grace that is given us. What a travesty!
        Matt 9:13
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
          Well I obviously have a fixed opinion, shown by the slightly naughty term "grace potatoes" in the thread title, that sometimes with too much emphasis on "grace" and "free gift", wonderful though that all is, we can become couch potato Christians who work on the principle that it is more blessed to receive (from God) than give (to our fellow men). The context - a million miles from this board - is recently having heard someone describing charity work as "legalistic". But then I came across this verse again and thought, "now, that's a balanced view of grace"... But I may soon be corrected
          S
          I see. I agree with you about the couch potatoe thing. That is why I think the Catholic vs. Protestant debate over works vs. salvation by grace is pretty fruitless, since both should agree that salvation is by grace and that the Christian should be doing good works (producing "fruit" as it is said in the gospels). One side puts so much of an emphasis on God's grace that they lose perspective on God's expectations for his people and the other puts so much of an emphasis on good works that they lose sight of God's mercy in the election of the people of God, grace, and righteousness. See what I am saying?

Comment

Too much of the time though its grace for the lost and works for the saved.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
              Too much of the time though its grace for the lost and works for the saved.
              Anyone that believes we are saved to serve has missed the boat.
              Matt 9:13
              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
              NASU

Comment

Another two passages that may be relevant to the idea.

2 Corinthians 6:1 Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain.

And note how ESV inserts, not unreasonably, "act of" before grace in these 3 verses to show that grace was working out in practice.

2 Corinthians 8:4 begging us earnestly for the grace of taking part in the relief of the saints.. 6 Accordingly, we urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this [act of] grace. 7 But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you —see that you excel in this [act of] grace also. 9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich. ...............19 And not only that, but he has been appointed by the churches to travel with us as we carry out this [act of] grace that is being ministered by us, for the glory of the Lord himself and to show our good will.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                  Anyone that believes we are saved to serve has missed the boat.

Yeah, but how many times have you heard that preached from pulpits? We are saved to be sons. I am no longer a slave!!!!!!!

Comment

We are no longer slaves to sin but then the flipside... we are to be slaves to righteousness. Just wanted to point that out.

For those interested...

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
                    17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
                    18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
                    19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
                    20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
                    21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
                    22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
                    23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Visit our new website
                    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                      We are no longer slaves to sin but then the flipside... we are to be slaves to righteousness. Just wanted to point that out.

For those interested...

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
                      17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
                      18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
                      19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
                      20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
                      21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
                      22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
                      23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
                      As such, it clarifies this verse:

Ephesians 2:
                      10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

As Sons, we are to do the Father's will....there is intentionality, and direction in this.
                      God happens!
                      'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
                      http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
                      Originally posted by ProjectPeter
                      When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Comment

Originally posted by slightlypuzzled View Post

Ephesians 2:
                        10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

As Sons, we are to do the Father's will....there is intentionality, and direction in this.
                        That there certainly is! Unpopular intentionality and driection but nevertheless... tis there.

Visit our new website
                        ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                        "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Enjoy the Gift

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                          but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
                          And the greatest joy is in enjoying this free gift to the fullest!
                          sigpicLife! Just Live It!
                          http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

Originally posted by slightlypuzzled View Post

Ephesians 2:

The desire to do the Father's will comes with the free gift. It is part of the package.

Comment

Working...
                            X