Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Catholics answer...

the omission of the 2nd commandment?

As I understand it, the RCC omitted the 2nd commandment and split the 10th into two giving them their own version of the ten commandments. But the Bible clearly states that this isn't accurate.

How does the RCC justify this?

Originally posted by Keene View Post
    the omission of the 2nd commandment?

As I understand it, the RCC omitted the 2nd commandment and split the 10th into two giving them their own version of the ten commandments. But the Bible clearly states that this isn't accurate.

How does the RCC justify this?
    Don't know....I am interested to see the reponses.

Comment

I'm not RC, but do you mean this.

The Decalogue According to the Hebrew Version
      First Commandment
      I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

The Decalogue According to the Catholic Version
      First Commandment
      I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

The Decalogue According to the Protestant Version
      First Commandment
      Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

In the First Commandment, the reader will note that the words "I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage," is left out of the Protestant version completely, and partially from the Catholic. It forms the First Commandment according to the Hebrews.

In the Catholic and Protestant versions, the reference to being "brought out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage," was left out for very good and sufficient reasons! That part of the Commandment has absolutely nothing whatever to do with Protestants or Catholics. When the Commandments were written, they were not in existence. They were never in Egypt, and the Lord had no occasion to free them from the yoke of bondage; by this very omission the Ten Commandments are stamped as a purely provincial code, applicable, if at all, only to the Children of Israel. In this respect both the Catholics and the Protestants have judiciously, yet deceitfully, refrained from using it, despite the incontrovertible fact that it is part of the Decalogue, and just as vital as the other parts.

In some editions of the Hebrew Bible, the word "bondage" has been substituted for "slavery." The explanation given for this change by the best Biblical authorities is that the Jews do not want to characterize Egypt as a place of slavery while the Jews living in Egypt are Page 24 enjoying liberty there. Was the integrity of the text sacrificed for the sake of expediency? [**16]

In wording this Commandment, however, the Catholics were cleverer than the Protestants. They used the first five words of the Commandment but left out the succeeding damaging phrase, and have added, though in a corrupted form, the first part of the Second Commandment. The Protestants, unable to use the First Commandment as biblically recorded, have daringly taken the first sentence of the Second Commandment as the first one in the arrangement of the Decalogue!

(this is from an atheist site, so I'm not posting a link for the info)

Comment

I was actually referring to Idolatry. They skip over that and split the 10th commandment into two, giving them 10 commandments as well.

I'm just wondering why.

Comment

I was actually referring to Idolatry. They skip over that and split the 10th commandment into two, giving them 10 commandments as well.

I'm just wondering why.
          First- Where are the 10 Commandments in the bible?

Second- Idolatry is worship of an object as a divinity. If one is to worship God alone as the divinity, worship of objects as such are condemned with that.

It is redeundant. It would be like saying, Do not steal. Do not steal horses, pigs, sheep, etc. Because all that is included in do not steal.
          "Death is not the end of life, but a change in life"

"Innocence is ugly
          to the one who is guilty"
          -10 Years

Holbrook Johnson: "Those who reason are lost."
          GK Chesterton: "Those who do not reason are not worth finding."

Comment

Originally posted by GothicAngel View Post

Second- Idolatry is worship of an object as a divinity. If one is to worship God alone as the divinity, worship of objects as such are condemned with that.

It is redeundant. It would be like saying, Do not steal. Do not steal horses, pigs, sheep, etc. Because all that is included in do not steal.
            The problem is that I know people in the RCC that pray to pictures of Lord jesus, and have statuettes of "Patron" saints, which they pray to. How is this not idol worship?

Comment

That is part of my point. The RCC splits the 10th Commandment into two.

9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife.

10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's possessions.

If redundancy is what you're trying to avoid, aren't the 9th and 10th commandements just that? They're both about not coveting.

Comment

Originally posted by third hero View Post
                The problem is that I know people in the RCC that pray to pictures of Lord jesus, and have statuettes of "Patron" saints, which they pray to. How is this not idol worship?
                According to ecumenical council they are suppose to be two dimensional and not three dimensional as statues are. But no one prays to icons (pictures) or statues. Nor do they pray to the bible.

Comment

Exodus chapter 20.

What I am referring to specifically is Exodus 20:4. "You shall not make for yourself any graven image..."

As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the RCC has skipped over that commandment. I'm just wondering how they justify doing this?

I hope you don't think I'm attacking the RCC, I'm simply looking to learn. My family is RC and I've asked them the same question and haven't gotten an answer from them.
                  Last edited by Keene; Sep 28th 2007, 07:13 PM. Reason: Added more to original post

Comment

Exodus chapter 20.

What I am referring to specifically is Exodus 20:4. "You shall not make for yourself any graven image..."

As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the RCC has skipped over that commandment. I'm just wondering how they justify doing this?

I hope you don't think I'm attacking the RCC, I'm simply looking to learn. My family is RC and I've asked them the same question and haven't gotten an answer from them.
                    I know, but I'm not RC. I'm curious to see if any RC know, so I won't answer.

Comment

That is part of my point. The RCC splits the 10th Commandment into two.

9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife.

10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's possessions.

If redundancy is what you're trying to avoid, aren't the 9th and 10th commandements just that? They're both about not coveting.
                      Becuase a wife is not a possession; plus lust is seperate from coveting posessions.

"Innocence is ugly
                      -10 Years

Comment

Originally posted by third hero View Post
                        They do not pray to the statues, but to the ones whom they represent.

Also, look up the definiton of prayer- it doesnt apply to deities exclusively.

"Innocence is ugly
                        -10 Years

Comment

Hi Teke,

Originally posted by Teke View Post
                          I'm not RC, but do you mean this.

The Decalogue According to the Hebrew Version
                          First Commandment
                          I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

The Decalogue According to the Catholic Version
                          First Commandment
                          I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

The Decalogue According to the Protestant Version
                          First Commandment
                          Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

In the First Commandment, the reader will note that the words "I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage," is left out of the Protestant version completely, and partially from the Catholic. It forms the First Commandment according to the Hebrews.
                          What Protestant version do you mean? My Bible does have the introductory phrase:
                          Ex 20:1-3

And God spoke all these words, saying:

2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 "You shall have no other gods before Me.
                          Love In Christ,
                          Tanya

Comment

Their in Deuteronomy as well as Exodus. That's likely the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Teke View Post
                              Their in Deuteronomy as well as Exodus. That's likely the difference.
                              My version has the introduction in Deuteronomy as well, so I don't think there is a protestant version that's different from the Hebrew. Maybe the atheist source was just conveniently omitting verse 6 so they could make their point.

Deut 5:6-10

6'I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

7'You shall have no other gods before Me.

8'You shall not make for yourself a carved image — any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 9 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 10 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
                              NKJV

I find that whenever atheists use Scripture against Christians or the Christian faith, they are usually misusing it.
                              Love In Christ,
                              Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X