Is it a sin to download music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a sin to download music?

I have downloaded so much music, movies, tv shows, and video games. And have also copied the movies (just to watch) and I feel very guilty for doing this stuff. Since I have accepted Jesus Christ I have done my best to not do these things anymore. I got rid of most of the music and was wondering if I should throw out the DVDs because I feel like I am not forgiven. And I know what I did was wrong. Thank you and God Bless.
    http://tduncan21.blogspot.com/

Romans 13:2 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

If the law requires you to disobey God (read the Book of Daniel for examples), then don't follow them. If the law otherwise does no harm spiritually, then follow it.
    To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by Tduncan212 View Post
      I have downloaded so much music, movies, tv shows, and video games. And have also copied the movies (just to watch) and I feel very guilty for doing this stuff. Since I have accepted Jesus Christ I have done my best to not do these things anymore. I got rid of most of the music and was wondering if I should throw out the DVDs because I feel like I am not forgiven. And I know what I did was wrong. Thank you and God Bless.
      All of that material is copyrighted because those people feed their children on the profits.

Comment

To answer the question in the title of your thread, "Is it a sin to download music?" It depends on if it is somethign you have already paid for/own or it you are just downloading it because you don't want to pay for it. If you are downloading it becaus eyou don't want ot pay for it then it is stealing and it is a a sin.

If you have asked for forgiveness and staopped downloading the items then God will forgive you. You may still feel guilty for what you have done but that does not mean you are not forgiven.

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

You don't have to 'feel' forgiven to be forgiven.

Comment

Whatever does not come from faith is sin.

Comment

Yes anything that you got by illegal means should be gotten rid of. I got rid of a bunch of stuff that my daughters dad had given me during our time together. Some was stolen jewelery, and other stuff was jewelery he bought with drug money. I couldn't keep it knowing that the stuff was given to me through some illegal activity. And I repented of receiving it.
            If you break the law, it is sin, unless the Holy Spirit is prompting you to do something like, preach the gospel where it is illegal to do so. In such cases we are commanded to obey God first. There are other examples, such as not worshipping a false god, even if it is law to do so. Just keep that sort of thing in mind and you will know what you should do in any case.
            Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Ditto everyone above

If you are aware that the down loads are ilegal get rid of them. But don't be too hard on yourself. Coming and sharing shows that you want to do the right thing and help others to do the same. Accepting the truth doesn't magically make us perfect, infact non of us will ever be perfect in this life however hard we try. But try we must, and improve daily. We will have set backs and make mistakes, but your post shows the direction is right. Thank you, Paul.
              1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

It is just another example on how the 10 commandments are so far out of touch with day to day life. It's sad.

I'm not ragging on the OP because I'm a sinner too, but I am saying that nowadays it is so easy to sin and half the time people may not realize what they are doing. The adversary is definitely manipulating the masses.
                sigpic

Comment

If you have repented than God forgave you. He doesn't look back once he forgives. Perhaps the guilty feeling you seem to be feeling is the Holy Spirit directing you. Listen close and do as you are directed to do by the Spirit.
                  I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                  Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Are you saying that you download them illegally?

Comment

Hi!

From what I understand (I used to work in the graphics industry which involved video and film), you are legally 'allowed' to tape a movie or anything off the TV for your own use (much like Tivo - to watch later, or watch over and over, etc). If you began selling it, that would be illegal.

Downloading music, video games, copying a tape you haven't rented or purchased - and so on...is piracy. You are getting something without paying the 'owner' his/her fair due. It's not legal (though commonly done). Same with software. Shareware is clearly marked as such, and often suggest a donation to the author.

So yes, if you want a clear conscience - toss out the 'stolen' copies. It's not worth 'free' videos if you are staying up at night with guilt!

Remember we are to treat each other the way we want to be treated - if you were the artist, you would also be entitled to your fair pay for each copy.

Cheers!

Comment

My question i guess is what about copyright infringement is a sin?
                        Which what this thread started with, in gut I know it is but I not sure why.

Copying intellectual property isn't stealing in the sense that your not taking something doesn't belong to you in the physical sense, because the what your copying is still in the original owners hands. The reason that many believe, including myself, that copying intellectual property is a sin is your not paying any thing for it, or more importantly the author isn't being compensated.

AND now for my real question!

So here is my concern would purchasing used intellectual property ie. (CDs, Books...) be a sin? Its legal to purchase, however your still not compensating the author?

You are paying for the property, but your still not supporting the author, which I believe is the reason that copying intellectual property is primarily wrong in the first place, so wouldn't it follow that buying used music is just as wrong or no?

I personally don't know and wonder what you think?

NOTE: as an aside copying music in certain countries such as Canada and a few in Europe, is Legal; and within the United States copy right infringement isn't legally defined as "theft" as spelled out in the Supreme Court case "Dowling v. United States" Though these little pieces of information don't make it right just interesting to know.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeKnight View Post
                          My question i guess is what about copyright infringement is a sin?
                          Which what this thread started with, in gut I know it is but I not sure why.

Copying intellectual property isn't stealing in the sense that your not taking something doesn't belong to you in the physical sense, because the what your copying is still in the original owners hands. The reason that many believe, including myself, that copying intellectual property is a sin is your not paying any thing for it, or more importantly the author isn't being compensated.
                          If i write an essay and someone borrows it and takes my ideas is that stealing? I think it is.

So here is my concern would purchasing used intellectual property ie. (CDs, Books...) be a sin? Its legal to purchase, however your still not compensating the author?

You are paying for the property, but your still not supporting the author, which I believe is the reason that copying intellectual property is primarily wrong in the first place, so wouldn't it follow that buying used music is just as wrong or no?

I personally don't know and wonder what you think?
                          The CD for the music isnt what your buying, but it is the licence to play the music, same for a reciept of a website you might buy music off. Its perfectly legal to sell on a licence as long as with the original purchasing you didnt agree not to do so. This does mean if you lend a cd to a friend that you cant have an alternative copy at home for use at the same time. One licence, one person playing the music. The same goes for other products, if your friend buys a car registration he has the right to use that car in accordance with registration law for that single private vehicle. He doesnt get multiple registration plates with his purchase, only one. So for someone to assume that, because he bought the right to drive his car on the road, they can drive another car to on his rego is simply stupid.
                          "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                          -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

I used to download music, and now that I think about it, I feel bad about doing so, but you just have to stop doing it, and put those things in the past, and focus on moving forward.
                            Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
                            http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Comment

Seems like.

seems like you are kind of going a little overboard with this. It's ok to download music and stuff .. its free.

Comment

Working...
                              X