Matthew 5:13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew 5:13

What exactly does Jesus mean by how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

I know that the salt they used in those days could lose it's saltines, but how does that apply to our lives? What does it mean to lose your saltines and how does that fit into grace and forgiveness especially considering Jesus's example

Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

I mean if we are supposed to forgive our brother seventy-seven times (obviously he didn't mean just seventy-seven) then how much more will God forgive us?

Did Peter lose his saltiness when he denied Jesus 3 times? If not then what exactly does losing your saltiness mean?

Originally posted by truthseeker2 View Post
    What exactly does Jesus mean by how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

I know that the salt they used in those days could lose it's saltines, but how does that apply to our lives? What does it mean to lose your saltines and how does that fit into grace and forgiveness especially considering Jesus's example

I mean if we are supposed to forgive our brother seventy-seven times (obviously he didn't mean just seventy-seven) then how much more will God forgive us?

Did Peter lose his saltiness when he denied Jesus 3 times? If not then what exactly does losing your saltiness mean?

Matthew 5:13-14 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

I believe that Jesus contrasts the man of God with Christ in him, and the man who has fallen away from God, and has no virtue. I believe the 'salt' symbolizes virtue, but if the salt have no savor (no virtue), it is good for nothing. For it is the savor which is the goodness! I believe the savor signifies goodness or righteousness. In this verse it seems Christ is warnin not so much of our duty to salt the world (show Godly character/virtue), but to see that our salt (Godly character/virtue) is genuine, is real. We are called to make our calling and Election sure! The previous verses (matt. 5:11-12) set the context where Christians expect to be reviled, persecuted, and have all manner of evil spoken against them, and it is in this context that in verses 13 and 14 we are warned not to lose our saltiness.

Many Blessings,RW

Comment

If what you use for flavoring loses it's flavor, it's useless to you. Because what will you flavor that thing with now? You can't flavor unsalty salt, with unsalty salt. So what do you do with it? Throw it out. That's all it's worth at that point. Aside from using it as a preservative, what is salt good for? A Flavoring, therefore, if it loses it's flavor it's useless.
      Kind of like a christian who loses interest in Christ and the things of God. When the love for Christ is gone and your faith is gone, then what do you have left?
      Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

I believe losing 'saltiness' (flavor) means losing your godly influence - due maybe to sin and turning from God.

If you are 'flavorless' no one will listen to you.

Comment

Well ok, thanks for your replys so to get to my point. He says that once it loses it's saltiness it cannot be made salty again, so you are saying that if you lose your interest in God or you run away from his truth that is losing your saltiness is that correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, so where is the forgiveness? If you are to follow that analogy it sounds like if you run away from God and you start to sin you cannot come back because Jesus says that once the salt loses it's saltiness it cannot be made salty again.

So once you run away and you lose your saltiness and you can't be made salty again?

Comment

Matthew 5:13-14 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted?
            I have worn out my welcome many places. to the point where people say things like.... "Oh he is just one of them nutty Christians." or "There's that guy who is always accusing people with his bible." or even "He's got his mouth running again, just ignore him."

it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
            And they have, and they should. I was good for nothing but bringing reproach to God.

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
            You see... Lights... they shine... they don't talk. Cities on hills are seen... They are not heard. Neither one I would classify as being salty. In saltyness, I have seasoned many peoples day, and in my experience, salt always looses its savour.

That is what these verses always meant to me anyways.

Comment

as a follow up, I never took being the salt of the earth as being a good thing.

Comment

think of the world as being a giant bowl of soup with no flavor......... now add some salt to that........... much better huh? We as Christians are the salt and we should make this world a better place by adding salt. now the unflavorness of the world is sin. sin is growing and the salt is becoming less and less. what good is the salt if it doesnt flavor up the soup? its sad to say, and this is off topic, but there isnt enough salt shakers out there and out of the ones out there half of them are mixed with a different seasoning. BUT I like to consider my self as a light better than salt. Light makes a whole lot more difference in a pitch black pit, than salt to a bowl of water.
                MAY GOD BLESS YOU
                OnENtheSpIrIt

Comment

Well ok, thanks for your replys so to get to my point. He says that once it loses it's saltiness it cannot be made salty again, so you are saying that if you lose your interest in God or you run away from his truth that is losing your saltiness is that correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, so where is the forgiveness? If you are to follow that analogy it sounds like if you run away from God and you start to sin you cannot come back because Jesus says that once the salt loses it's saltiness it cannot be made salty again.

So once you run away and you lose your saltiness and you can't be made salty again?
                  I think perhaps you are pushing Jesus' illustration too far in terms of its spiritual application. The main point is that salt without savour (its taste or preservative characteristics) is useless.

If Peter lost his 'saltiness' how do you explain Pentecost? For the Christian, forgiveness & restoration are always available so I think the idea that we only get one go at it (being salt) and that our influence for Christ in this world can never be restored again is somewhat flawed Biblically.

One must always be careful (when forming doctrinal views from parables or illustrations) to ensure that what is taught is consistent with what is CLEARLY revealed elsewhere in the Bible (eg. the Epistles).

Just remember that what is impossible with man is possible with God.

Cheers
                  Leigh

Comment

Consider also that at times when salt was not plentiful, or when greed became more important than having pure salt, sand was added to the salt to dilute it. If you look at how a Christian is called to be salt unto the world, we need to be careful that the salt we profess does not become mixed with things of the world, and become polluted and unprofitable. Mixing the pure Word with false doctrines that tickle man's ear is one example of how salt can become unprofitable and good for nothing.

Many Blessings,
                    RW

Comment

Originally posted by Serve-N-Protect View Post
                      as a follow up, I never took being the salt of the earth as being a good thing.
                      It absolutely is a good thing. Think of meat, if it were not preserved with salt, how quickly it would rot. Salt is a preservative as well as good for flavor. If this world had no Christians left, it would rot exceedingly fast. Those in Christ are preserving the world so that more can come to Christ.

Lev 2:13And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

You see any meat offerings to the Lord should be seasoned with salt. The meat would both be flavored and preserved. But what does that mean as Christians today? The sharing of the gospel is our offering to the Lord, when we share God's word it should be both, in a manner which preserves God's love and grace for those it's being offered to, and is flavorful or appealling to that individual.

Col 4:6Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

We shouldn't deliver the gospel with bitterness or wastefully, but with truth that is savory and preserving.
                      yours in, of and by Christ, Christopher
                      and a little child shall lead them. Isaiah 11:6

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherE View Post
                        It absolutely is a good thing. Think of meat, if it were not preserved with salt, how quickly it would rot. Salt is a preservative as well as good for flavor. If this world had no Christians left, it would rot exceedingly fast. Those in Christ are preserving the world so that more can come to Christ.

Lev 2:13And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

You see any meat offerings to the Lord should be seasoned with salt. The meat would both be flavored and preserved. But what does that mean as Christians today? The sharing of the gospel is our offering to the Lord, when we share God's word it should be both, in a manner which preserves God's love and grace for those it's being offered to, and is flavorful or appealling to that individual.

Col 4:6Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
                        OK... there is more than one way of looking at it though. I think your way is valid. I just don't see it that way. Jesus' analogy in context that is. the saltyness I have experienced has washed away, but the lights and the city continue to shine and be seen through me. If saltyness from me is a result of those things then so be it.

Others focus on the saltyness, and the result is the lights and the city respectively.

"We shouldn't deliver the gospel with bitterness or wastefully, but with truth that is savory and preserving.
                        Agreed, but in my experience some that deliver it in savory preserving, are not necessarily shining as lights or seen as cities.

Comment

We are talking about a "permanent" loss of saltiness here. Not a momentary loss of faith. Remember God knows the end from the beginning. If someone were to "lose their saltiness" God would know if it is temporary or permanent, wouldn't he?
                          And as others have mentioned, it is also how "WE PRESENT" the gospel to others, it should be appealing to them by showing the love of Christ.
                          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Salt here means that we are the only preserving agent God has on this earth. Preserving the tide that is ever going towards unlawfullness. We are Christ's preserving agents on earth.

Losing your saltiness means you let sin get by without you objecting such as in the case of abortions for example. We are to stand ground and speak out on behalf of God. This is what saltiness means.
                            Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Did anyone mention this passage?

(Col 4:6 KJV) Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

This implies the wisdom from above that comes by grace.
                              (James 3:13-18 KJV) Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. {14} But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. {15} This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. {16} For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. {17} But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. {18} And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

And this wisdom which brings grace to its hearers comes from a mind that has been established in the faith - the evil eye is double-mindedness which comes from a covetous heart. That is also evidence that one's wisdom is not established on God's grace, but on carnal thoughts and desires.

(Luke 11:34-36 KJV) The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. {35} Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. {36} If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

Grace + salt + light = wisdom from God, this is what we speak, when asked about the hope that we have.
                              Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                              And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                              Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                              Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                              X