Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a sin to belive in other religions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a sin to belive in other religions?

I was wondering about this since other religions don't believe in the bible or god does that make them sinful?Does that mean people of other religions are going to hell for what they believe?

Originally posted by Zorgblar View Post
    I was wondering about this since other religions don't believe in the bible or god does that make them sinful?Does that mean people of other religions are going to hell for what they believe?
    I do not wish to seem cute but the answer is simply yes.

Comment

I was wondering about this since other religions don't believe in the bible or god does that make them sinful?
      When one is given the revelation of God and rejects it, yes, that is sin. Romans 1 says that they are 'without excuse' because the knowledge of God is in the very creation. Even without a Bible, God can be known. Because man suppresses the truth concerning God, it is a sin.

Does that mean people of other religions are going to hell for what they believe?
      People will go to hell for not receiving the truth when the knowledge of the truth is given to them. To whatever degree God has revealed Himself to someone, he is accountable for that.
      Love In Christ,
      Tanya

Comment

Jesus said in John 14:6, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

And in John 8:24, "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."

1) Jesus said nobody gets to God except thru Him
        2) Jesus said that unless you believe He is who He said He is (God in flesh), you will die in your sins.

So let's just take a small tally of the religions that either don't believe Jesus is Savior, or that don't believe He is God, or both:

1. Hinduism
        2. Buddhism
        3. Judaism
        4. Confucianism
        5. Taoism
        6. Mormonism
        7. Jehovah's Witnesses
        8. New Age
        9. Scientology

So to answer your question....it is wrong to align yourself with religions that don't believe Jesus is Savior & God in flesh.

Comment

Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not [himself], neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many [stripes].

Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Hbr 5:2 Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity.

______

Comment

The short answer is yes. The Bible is clear: Jesuys says; He is the way, the truth and the life. No one goes to Father except through Christ.
            Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Praise God! who made us in love, redeemed us sinners, & desires that all be saved!

Dear Zorgblar,
              Thanks, again, for asking another good question!!
              Is it a sin to believe in other religions?
              To get to a good understanding of the things you are asking about requires a bit of background, and some thorough thinking, I believe.

This post lays out some basic ground; only on that basis can I respond, in the following post, to your good questions.

Who and What is God?
              There is but one God, maker of all things in heaven and earth. God created all things simply by His own word, for no thing existed -- except for God himself -- before he created things. God's own life is eternal, and the eternal life of the one God -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit -- is a fullness of life, being, goodness, fellowship, beauty, truth, and love that is (of course) very exceedingly beyond all that we can ever begin to know. So God had no need of anything that He created: He created simply out of His goodness. Thus, all that exists, all the created realm, and every created being, is the recipient of God's pure kindness and generosity; and everything that is exists and continues to exist only because God sustains it in being.
              What and What is God to us?
              Thus God is the source of all things (including the time and space that serves to bring other beings into contact and a common framework with one another); and the essential meaning of all that God has made lies in its final reception or acceptance into the greatness of God's love. God is our beginning and our end, our source and our purpose, our maker and our reward, our context and our center, and the source and completion of all goodness, being, life, beauty, truth, and love that we can have or know.

To human beings (and to angels) God has given freedom: the gift of being able to order our lives as conscious beings, and thus the ability to enter more fully and consciously into the goodness of God's being and life. We can in our freedom thank and praise God, obey and love God, and be loved by God. We can remain (live, abide) in Him and welcome Him into our own lives, where He may abide (live, remain). This welcoming of God into our lives, and God's coming to be with us and in our hearts, and God's enabling us dwell in His presence, is the only possible good for human beings, for God is the source of all good! For us human beings, especially, whom God has made in His own image, the good and purpose of our lives lies in our giving our lives to him, and living in His ways, loving God and loving our neighbors as ourselves. Our path to God is God's only Son, Jesus Christ, who has come to be with us, as Emmanuel, "God with us." For Christ is the Eternal Word, God the Son, who was always with the Father: God with God in perfect fellowship and unity of being.

We are lost in sin, and our sin is a cutting-ourselves-off from God
              Which is the most horrible thing imaginable,
              Because God alone is the source of being, life, goodness, and love

Unfortunately, humanity has turned away from God. This is wrongdoing; it is also incredible folly. This turning of our hearts away from God is the fundamental thing that sin is. Sin also is, secondarily, our ordering our relation to God's creation in bad ways. Of course, these two things go together. If we are walking with God, then we will be loving and caring for those around us in a godly way, loving our neighbors as ourselves in a right way. But that is not an activity which is rival to loving God: rather, our love of our neighbors (whom God more dearly loves) is also an aspect of our loving God. So similarly, when we get involved with the Creation in destructive ways -- drunkenness, or envy, or an angry heart, for instance -- these things are sinful, problematic, in themselves, but also more problematic because often they express our having chosen to walk away from God and His ways.

God's loving and redemptive purpose

Yet God acted to Save us: Of this the Bible is the record
              God's whole dealings with humankind has been a history of God acting to help and save us from the messed-up way that we turn away from him, and get involved in destructive ways with one another and with the creation. Thus God called Abraham, and put him in the way of seeking and following God who made all things. Similarly, God rescued Abraham's descendents from Egypt through Moses. To Moses God revealed his great Name, YHWH, or "I am". Working through the descendents of Abraham whom He had chosen, God made a people for himself, the Israelites, the Jews, to whom he revealed himself. Yet God chose Abraham and his descendents not just for their own sake, but -- as he says to Abraham -- that in them all the families of the earth might be blessed. God desires to bless all peoples, all nations, all families, and to do this He prepared the way for his Only Son, to be born as a human being, Jesus Christ, to bring us to God.

In all this God's purpose has been to redeem, to forgive, to heal, to save broken, messed-up, sinful people -- like me and you -- because of God's great goodness and kindness, his love and compassion for humankind, and for each person, each human being, erring, straying, sinful and (often) antagonistic to God as we are. "When we were yet God's enemies" God sent Christ to die for the ungodly -- for you and me -- to bring us back to life, and to eternal life, life with God. This is His great and precious promise to us: that we might, in our small way, come to live with Him, to share His life with Him, to become (II Pet 1:3) in some way partakers of the Divine Nature.

For God does not desire the death of a sinner, but rather that the sinner should turn from wickedness and live. Jesus came, and ate and drank with sinners, and loved them, to bring them to God -- for it is not the healthy, but the sick, who need a doctor. Christ came to call the sinners (not the righteous) to repentence. He came as a shepherd seeking lost sheep, and tells us that there is rejoicing in heaven over each one who comes to God. Jesus "went about doing good", healing the sick, casting out demons, and above all bringing the good news of God to people, that they might repent of their sins, and, coming to God, be forgiven and healed. Thus God never desires the death of a sinner, but rather that the sinner turn to him, and be healed. This is in accord with God's very nature, of love and goodness; and of Christ's very character who, being equal with God did not cling to that equality with God, but humbled himself, becoming a man and dying on a cross to save us from our sins.

This is the fundamental fact of all the universe: that Christ died for our sins, and rose on the third day, bringing life and peace to those who trust their lives to him. Herein is God's goodness expressed and displayed in full. God's great love reaches out and saves wretched, evil, lost, and sinful persons, and the human family. There is no other way that human beings can be saved, and all who are saved are saved by Christ's great work alone.

Christ Jesus, in whom the fullness of God dwells bodily, fully God and fully a human being is the healing light who has shone in the darkness and rescued us, filling our darkness with his marvelous light. He is the great shepherd of the sheep, who has purchased us out of bondage, freed us from sin, washed away all our sins and brought us to life by His blood, through his incarnation, death, and resurrection!

All thanks and praise and glory be to God, in Christ Jesus, forever and ever!! Amen!

Yet life, the struggle of good and evil,
              and God's reaching out to lost humanity continue!

Unfortunately, we often turn away from God anyway! Jesus says "This is the condemnation: that the light came into the world, and men preferred darkness, because their deeds were evil!!" God, who made us to live in love with one another and with him, therefore, necessarily, made us free: for love that is compelled is not love. Our abuse of our freedom plunged us initially into sin and bondage, and though God has provided for us such a great salvation in Christ, yet sometimes we turn away from him!!

I, for instance, day by day, must cast myself upon God's mercy; for though he brought me to Christ, and forgave me my sins, abhominably I continue to sin, and to turn away from Him. As I do so I must come back to Him, and trust in Him, both by repenting and following Him, and also by turning away from particular sins -- many of which are quite attractive to me. They are deadly and poisonous things which appear sweet and beautiful-seeming. In this, despite my waywardness, God has been wonderfully faithful and loving to me, as I come back to him, for healing and forgiveness, time after time, having scruffily messed up again. I am thankful and awestruck by God's kindness and goodness to me in Christ Jesus! And by His incomparable beauty and goodness and eternal life!!

Finally Christ will return. At his appearing those who love him will be changed -- made like Him, because we will see Him and He is. (Even now, our hope in Him changes our hearts!) Yet we have waited long for Christ's return. Why? God is not slow, as human beings reckon lateness or slowness: rather, He is very patient, not wanting any to perish, but desiring that all might be saved. Even now, Christ's gospel is going through many countries in the earth where He has not been known! A hundred years ago almost none of the people in Africa knew of Christ: now most in sub-saharan Africa are Christians. Fifty years ago almost no Chinese were Christians. Yet despite decades of severe persecution, and more decades of slighter persecution, now there are over 50 million Chinese Christians! The gospel has begun to spread in other parts of Asia as well. God only knows His timing and his purposes, through which, in His right timing, He is bringing his Gospel throughout the earth, in His love. The spread of the Gospel in Europe, and other areas, through the last 2000 years, also, has brought many to Christ, and has led to a rise of godly ways of life -- science, democracy, human rights, hospitals, care for the poor, godly monogamous marriage, widespread education, elimination of slavery, decline of idolatry and revenge, and many other things are the outworkings of the gospel, and of Christ's defeat of evil on the cross, directly and indirectly!!

Praise be to God! Praise be to Christ for his live-giving, life-restoring, loving triumph in his cross and resurrection!

Comment

Now I feel I am in a position to respond to your good questions!!

Is it a sin to worship other gods?

(1) "Thou shalt have no other gods":
                We who know God may worship only the one true God,
                the God of the Bible, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
                the Holy Trinity!

It would be an appalling, horrible sin for me to worship "other gods". God (the One True God -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, One God -- the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ) has revealed Himself to me. In fact there are no other gods: He only -- YHWH, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, who through Christ and the Aposles whom he chose gave us the Scriptures and the Church -- He alone is God. There are not, and cannot be, other Gods, for God made all things, and is the Eternal, the Holy One, the I AM, whose nature is its own necessity, who could not not-be, and who, fullness of life and being goodness and truth, is His own source, and also the maker of all things. To turn from God, the living God, to dead idols, would be an appalling thing.

Thus Jeremiah says of those who knew God and turned away from Him, those who worship idols, they have committed two appalling sins: "They have turned from me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed for themselves broken cisterns which cannot hold water."

(Yet there is a sense in which my life is filled with idols: I let other good things, and sometimes even corrupt things, into my life in a way that turns me from God, or comes between me and wholehearted devotion to Him!)

Though an idol, an alternate God, and something we turn to from what we should seek first from God, is really nothing, yet we do turn to this evil and empty poisonous nothingness and treat it as if it really had life for us!

Nevertheless, it would be an utterly destructive thing, and terribly wrong, for someone who knows God to worship idols, to turn to (what that person incorrectly supposes to be) other gods.

(2) But what of those who do not know the true God?

The Biblical Witness

I think the most helpful place to start, concerning those who have not known the one true God, the God of Jesus Christ, and of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, is with the passages in Scripture which deal with peoples who do not know God.

There are a good number of useful passages in the OT. Perhaps the most helpful is the book of Jonah. Jonah is sent to the bitterest enemies of the people of Israel, the Ninevites, with a warning of God's wrath. Yet the book again and again records the responses of the Pagan peoples -- first the sailors on the boat Jonah takes, and then the people of Ninevah -- who repent at Jonah's preaching. God spares the people of Ninevah, and says that He has compassion upon them, people who do not know their right hand from their left, and even pities their cattle! God is (as Jonah notes with annoyance) the Lord compassionate and merciful, who loves to spare and save. Jonah, quoting or alluding to Exodus 32-34, among other texts, recalls how God (mostly) spared the people of Israel, even though they -- despite knowing God and having been saved by Him -- had worshipped a golden calf, and even said that the calf was the God who had brought them out of Egypt. Thus God is telling Jonah, and the readers of the book of Jonah, of the wide love with which God aims to bring peoples, even pagan peoples, to himself. It is not by accident, I think, that this book is so centrally cited by Jesus in regard to his death and resurrection, for the the forgiveness of the sins of the whole world!

However, probably the most important text is Acts 17. Paul, arriving at Athens, is appalled, profoundly disturbed, Luke (the author of Acts) tells us, by the many idols that the city is full of. Yet what Paul does and says shows a complex, loving, nuanced, and sensitive response to, and evaluation of, the pagan (idolatrous) people who dwell in Athens.

The centerpiece of Paul's preaching centers around a famous altar, or temple, in Athens dedicated "to an unknown God." This altar was erected -- we know this from an ancient non-Biblical author, Diogenes Laertes, who is just writing about Athens, not about Paul or Christianity -- some six hundred years previously, on the advice of a Cretan philosopher named Epimenides. (Paul elsewhere refers respectfully to Epimenides as a Cretan "prophet".) Athens at that time was suffering from a plague, and the delphic oracle told them that it was because there was a god angry with them -- but the delphic oracle could not or did not tell them what god that was!! They wanted to sacrifice to this god, but did not know what god to sacrifice to. They sent to Epimenides who, to tell it briefly, told them to build an alter "to an unknown god" and there sacrifice; for, Epimenides said, this god would be wise enough to know that they were doing the best they knew how, even though they did not know his name. And, it turns out, when they did this the plague ceased. Now this Epimenides was also the philosopher who said of God: "In him we live, and move, and have our being." It is evident that Paul knows all this, for he quotes this saying of Epimenides, which his Athenian audience was familiar with, in his preaching; and does so in explaining to them the nature of the true God, who made heaven and earth and all that is in them, who does not live in temples made by human hands, and who, Paul tells them, is the "unknown god" to whom they have erected an alter, and whom heretofore they have worshipped in ignorance, but Whom Paul now has come to let them know about, in preaching the good news of Jesus and the resurrection!

Paul tells the Athenians that as "we are God's offspring", and as He is very near to us so that we might grope after Him and find Him, we ought not think the Deity like gold or silver or stone, according to the imagination of human beings. Yet, Paul says, in past times of ignorance, God overlooked this error. However "now he commands all men everywhere to repent" and to turn to the true and living God who "gives to human beings life and breath and everything" for God comes to judge the earth through a man (Christ Jesus) whom He has appointed and made known as our judge by raising him from the dead.

Thinking through the implications of all this

It seems to me that the Bible is instructing us that God aims to have mercy on all people. God's mercy is given us only in Jesus Christ -- for He is true man and true God, and thus alone has freed us from our sins and brought us to God, and He alone could have done so. Yet, we have a choice (with which God helps us, for we are too weak to choose rightly) to accept what Christ has done, or not: that is, to open our hearts to God's grace which alone can save and help us, freeing us from bondage to sin and death, and bringing us to life (that is to God, whose presence is the only and only possible source of life and love, goodness ad truth and all good things). Ultimately, that happens as we look upon Jesus, and let Who he is transform us, and let what he has accomplished -- dying for us and rising again -- have its effect in our lives. There is no other way to be saved from our sins.

Yet clearly God works with people, initially, where they are. Fatherlike he tends and spares us: well our feeble frame he knows. In his arm he gently bears us, rescues us from all our foes. Alleluia! Alleluia! Widely yet His mercy flows!! God spares me, Scruff, despite all the dumb and bad things I do, even though I know better, for He has given me knowledge of life in Jesus Christ.

He brought the Pagan sailors to know him, a bit, though they had been worshipping other gods, so that they glorified the name of YHWH (The Lord). He spared the Ninevites who repented deeply, although they did not really understand who God was (being like children or cattle -- people who "do not know their right hand from their left"). He even spared the people of Israel who had worshipped the calf, yet punished them. He made a covenant with the children of Israel, though they did not know of Jesus Christ. And Paul (Epimenides-like) seems to indicate a kind of sparing, or pardoning acceptance of the Athenians by God in the past, those who had done their best to respect the "unknown god". (Paul now reveals to them the True God, the God of Israel, and Father of Jesus Christ, as the One who really was the unknown God.)

As to the sin of believing in a false god, or worshipping one, the Bible evidently tells us that it is deadly sin for us -- Christians and Jews who know YHWH, the true God, the God of Isreal. But for those who know no better, it seems that God may, depending on the heart of the worshipper, understand that people who do not know or understand the truth are "groping after him" and seeking to bring Him their hearts and their praise, their repentence and their lives, though they are doing so not according to knowledge, but in their ignorance. The truth of these things God knows, and they are in His good, wise, just, and loving hands.

IMO, the Bible does not give us a formula about whom God will or can save. It tells us the urgent necessity of believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, for there is no salvation in any other name. It is Jesus who in fact saves us, and Him alone; and it is very important that we open our hearts and lives to Him, and, trusting in Him, obey Him. It is crucial that we forgive others. We must, if we understand how God loves and spares us in mercy be merciful to others; we must, if we are to trust in God and not in ourselves, not reckon our good deeds, but understand how much we need God's forgiveness, which he freely gives to us, and to all who seek Him with their whole hearts. Thus it is of utmost importance to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus CHrist, by our words and our deeds, both to ourselves and others.

How does God judge those who have not heard of Christ, who in ignorance worship idols, or who for various reasons find themselves unable to believe, yet have hearts which are in some other way open to God, and disposed to His merciful and humble ways? How does God judge, or work to save, unbaptized children, and others who have not lived out the path that he has told us to follow to Him, perhaps largely because of their ignorance? "Who are you to judge another man's servant? To his own master he stands or falls." I think God testifies abundantly to His desire to bring people to himself, and His desire that all be saved. He also clearly indicates that some will not be saved, and will take the path that lead to destruction. Thus we know of the destructive ways of the human heart, of God's mighty victory in Christ, of the wideness of God's love and mercy, and that we all will stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Accordingly, it is our urgent duty to pray, to live holy lives, to love our neighbors, to repent, to give our hearts to God, and to preach the gospel in season and out of season. Though living this way we do what we can, our part, to let God's salvation flow and Christ's gospel be proclaimed.
                Last edited by Scruffy Kid; Oct 4th 2007, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
                  It is a sin to murder oneself, correct?

If a person were pushed off a cliff, would they be morally responsible for suicide?

No more then if a non Christian were to not believe out of no fault of their own.

If you have full knowledge that Christianity is true, but you dont believe anyways, then yes. Otherwise, no.
                  "Death is not the end of life, but a change in life"

"Innocence is ugly
                  to the one who is guilty"
                  -10 Years

Holbrook Johnson: "Those who reason are lost."
                  GK Chesterton: "Those who do not reason are not worth finding."

Comment

Nope and nope. That's just me, though.

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post

I agree with you 100% for the first time in awhile.

It is not wrong to know about other religions, but it is very risky, and perhaps deadly to believe in them.

Even if it turns out (for some reason) that there are many ways to enter the Kingdom, you and I as Christians know of one gauranteed way, and that is through excepting Christ and his sacrafice.

It is not wrong to know about other religions, and this can be very important for conversion, but it is a very slippery slope if you are not grounded in a relationship with Christ.

And I cannot answer wether or not those of other faiths will go to hell, but all Im saying is we are given a gauranteed method to salvation, and it is our obligation to preach that path.

Denying Christ is an unforgivable sin(at least if our texts are true), and this is nothing to shy away from.
                      When a Gentile asked Hillel to teach him the entire Torah while he stood on one foot, Hillel replied, "What you dislike don't do to others-this is the whole Torah, the rest is commentary. Go and learn."

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "
                      - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GothicAngel View Post

If a person were pushed off a cliff, would they be morally responsible for suicide?

No more then if a non Christian were to not believe out of no fault of their own.

If you have full knowledge that Christianity is true, but you dont believe anyways, then yes. Otherwise, no.
                        That reasoning would be correct if man was born into this world justified, and only lost it through positive unbelief. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Man is not born into this world in a state of justification. He is born separated from God and therefore must be "born again" to obtain eternal life.

Comment

Yes it does because they don't know who God is. Romans 1:18-20 tells us that God has made himself plain to us through what has been made but people reject that to worship statues & images made to look like man, animals, reptiles, birds, etc. So since Jesus has shown the world who God is and the creation itself has shown God's miraculous and divine qualities, then man is without excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by GothicAngel View Post

I might be misinterpreting your post, but if you are saying people who haven't heard of Christ won't go to hell, that is wrong. Everyone will have some sort of knowledge of Him.

Comment

Hi Zorgblar
                              I was wondering about this since other religions don't believe in the bible or god does that make them sinful? Does that mean people of other religions are going to hell for what they believe?
                              All humans are sinful whether they believe in God and the Bible or not.

And believing in pagan gods is an additional sin.

As far as hell goes, it depends which hell you mean, Sheol-Hades (the grave) or Hinnom-Gehenna (hellfire), but if you mean the NT concept of hell of fire then looking at the NT verses it's appears that it's primarily false believers (Jewish and Christian) who go to hellfire, not pagans.

God bless
                              Steven

Comment

Working...
                              X