Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATMs in church?!

Does your church accept credit cards?

As a new Christian I find this somehow disturbing although I can't put my finger on exactly why...

One article of many on the topic: http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...648022,00.html

Incurring consumer debt *IS* ultimately a bad practice -- to do this for the purpose of giving to your church seems like a bad example.

Our's doesn't. Don't think I would support any move to do that in our church. Also, those private ATM's cost a lot in service fees (something like 2-3 dollars/transaction.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Indeed... my church doesn't either... it just doesn't feel like the right thing to do, does it?

I've heard-tell that there are even large churches with card swiper-things on the backs of the seats or pews!

Comment

Originally posted by Otter77 View Post

As a new Christian I find this somehow disturbing although I can't put my finger on exactly why...

One article of many on the topic: http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...648022,00.html

Incurring consumer debt *IS* ultimately a bad practice -- to do this for the purpose of giving to your church seems like a bad example.

I dont know.... Just taking debit cards actually makes it not seem so bad... but still something just seems wrong about it.... and honestly when you think about it, it really is just keeping up with the times but still... if we all feel something is just not right about it, there must be a reason why we feel that way.

Comment

Originally posted by rchivers View Post
          I dont know.... Just taking debit cards actually makes it not seem so bad... but still something just seems wrong about it.... and honestly when you think about it, it really is just keeping up with the times but still... if we all feel something is just not right about it, there must be a reason why we feel that way.
          I think it might be that it makes the church seem like your local convenience store.
          Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
          Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

I wouldn't encourage anyone to go into debt. But I certainly have no issues with using a credit card or an ATM machine to make donations. I often wish my church had an ATM machine close by.
            Matt 9:13
            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
            NASU

Comment

It is almost like strong-arming you into giving though... for those of us that are not so assertive we may feel that there is no excuse not to give that particular week... Don't have cash or check? We take plastic... and your first born... and IOUs... (I have been to churches that ask their members to pledge a certain amount per year so they can "budget" properly... )

Maybe I am just cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by rchivers View Post
                It is almost like strong-arming you into giving though... for those of us that are not so assertive we may feel that there is no excuse not to give that particular week... Don't have cash or check? We take plastic... and your first born... and IOUs... (I have been to churches that ask their members to pledge a certain amount per year so they can "budget" properly... )

Maybe I am just cheap.
                I heard of a church once where the treasurer would actually call you if you were behind on your tithes and request that you pay up!!

Comment

Many churches have ATM and I have no problem with such. Those churches I have seen have a disclaimer that people are not to go into debt to give to the church and that the ATM is for convenience only. If churches do not care about people going into debt to satisfy their greed for money then I agree, they should be removed.
                  Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

I heard of a church once where the treasurer would actually call you if you were behind on your tithes and request that you pay up!!
                    I would leave the church in a big hurry. That is a very low blow. There is a component of faith even in the churches finances,....shake the dust off your feet and get the heck out of there
                    Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

I would leave the church in a big hurry. That is a very low blow. There is a component of faith even in the churches finances,....shake the dust off your feet and get the heck out of there
                      no joke brother! Fortunately this was not MY experience.

Comment

Hey why not? After all its not cheap to convince somebody that they can be assured they are saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Serve-N-Protect View Post
                          Hey why not? After all its not cheap to convince somebody that they can be assured they are saved.
                          It's too bad that so few seem to truly understand that "by works you cannot be saved but by grace alone" concept....

Comment

Indeed... my church doesn't either... it just doesn't feel like the right thing to do, does it?

I've heard-tell that there are even large churches with card swiper-things on the backs of the seats or pews!

I think it's wrong. We are supposed to give based on what we make, not how much we have in available credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                              I think it's wrong. We are supposed to give based on what we make, not how much we have in available credit.
                              I agree with this...

I also think that the "debit cards only" concept would be one that I could handle if it showed up in my Church because it really is the same as writing a check.

So shall we say "No Credit? No problem!"

Comment

Working...
                              X