Satan Can Counterfeit The Gifts Of The Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satan Can Counterfeit The Gifts Of The Spirit

Could someone please point out to me where the Scriptures speak of such a thing. I've heard this countless times and I have yet to see anything of the sort in the Word of God. I realize someone can have a spirit of divination and be able to see things given to them from a demonic spirit, but where does the Word say that Satan can counterfeit the gifts of prophecy, word of wisdom, word of knowledge, discernment, tongues, interpretation of tongues, faith, miracles and healings?

I can't understand how in the world some people come up with this stuff.

I know the Word says that there will be lying wonders, so I guess that could qualify for counterfeit miracles, but what about the others?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

I would also like to add that I'm not really looking for any sources or opinions outside the Word of God. Therefore, responses resembling . . .

Well, this one time at such and such church . . .
    is really not what I'm looking for.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

FANTASTIC THREAD!! I can't wait for responses.

Comment

I believe satan can counterfit certain gifts-- but not in those who have given their lives totally to Jesus Christ.

Comment

Why are you discounting anything outside of Scripture?

Exorcists (in my denomination anyways) have had about 2000 years of expeiernce in dealing with demons, and spiritual signs like languages, leviation, knowledge of hidden things, and etc are signs of true demonic possession. Not sure how that is to be discounted just because its not in the bible.
          "Death is not the end of life, but a change in life"

"Innocence is ugly
          to the one who is guilty"
          -10 Years

Holbrook Johnson: "Those who reason are lost."
          GK Chesterton: "Those who do not reason are not worth finding."

Comment

Maybe these verses will help you, I'm not sure

1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
            2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
            3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
            4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?
            5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
            7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
            8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
            9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.
            10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.
            11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
            13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
            14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
            15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Rev 13:1-15

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
            15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 Cor 4:14-15

God bless
            Phil

Comment

Originally posted by GothicAngel View Post
              Because Jesus Christ and His Word is the foundation.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by GothicAngel View Post

Exorcists (in my denomination anyways) have had about 2000 years of expeiernce in dealing with demons, and spiritual signs like languages, leviation, knowledge of hidden things, and etc are signs of true demonic possession. Not sure how that is to be discounted just because its not in the bible.
                Actually, these "exorcists" were casting out demons in the name of Lord Jesus. They could not do so under any other authority. As we have seen in the book of Acts, when these fakes encounter a more powerful demon, they are beaten, or otherwise posessed themselves.

I believe that Satan is very limited in his abilites, especially concerning the gifts. The one gift that he could have people imitate, in my opinion, is the speaking in different languages. If anyone seen the movie "300", they showed one example of an "oracle" who spoke in unintelligible language only to have someone else "interpret" that language. The only way thyis is possible is because if we understand that Satan has the kingdoms of men under his control, the idea of having someone speak in a different language would not seem so far fetched. Although God created all of those languages, Satan still had experience dealing with people in their languages. So, that one can be faked.

We have seen many people who claim to be "Christ Himself", which is them trying to fake the gift of prophecy. We all know that although Satan keeps on trying this tactic, it always fail. So, no, he can not re[plicate that gift. As far as the other gifts are concerned, opnly those with Love in their souls can do them, and that takes coming to the Lord Himself and accepting Him as Lord ands Savior. Satan can not imitate those gifts, I am certain of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Fourie View Post
                  Maybe these verses will help you, I'm not sure

1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
                  2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
                  3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
                  4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?
                  5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
                  6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
                  7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
                  8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
                  9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.
                  10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.
                  11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
                  12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
                  13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
                  14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
                  15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
                  Rev 13:1-15

The passages in Revelation could speak to the lying wonders I was talking about in my first post . . . that is of course if you take everything in the passage of Scripture you presented literally.

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
                  15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
                  2 Cor 4:14-15

I believe 2 Corinthians 11 is simply talking about those who try and appear to be ministers of the Lord but in fact are just wolves in sheeps clothing. I don't believe this passage is talking about any counterfeit gifts from Satan.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                    [/i]

The passages in Revelation could speak to the lying wonders I was talking about in my first post . . . that is of course if you take everything in the passage of Scripture you presented literally.
                    Ok, I should maybe add, I take everyting in die Bible literally. But still that is what I can give you from Scripture, not giving you my opinion as you asked

But If I may add my opinion, Satan gan only do things God allows him to do.

And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
                    Job 1:12

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
                    Matthew 24:24

Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
                    2 Thessalonians 2:9

For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
                    Revelation 16:14

God bless
                    Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Fourie View Post
                      Ok, I should maybe add, I take everyting in die Bible literally. But still that is what I can give you from Scripture, not giving you my opinion as you asked
                      So, you think it's a literal dragon in that passage? You believe Satan will be bound by a literal chain in chapter 20? I, personally, take Scripture literally where it is clear to me that it is literal and symbolic where it's clear to me that it is symbolic. I appreciate your opinion, however, and your willingness to try and comply with the request to keep things about Scripture.

But If I may add my opinion, Satan gan only do things God allows him to do.

And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
                      Job 1:12

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
                      Matthew 24:24

Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
                      2 Thessalonians 2:9

For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
                      Revelation 16:14

God bless
                      Phil
                      I agree with all this, and I agree that many will do lying wonders. What I'm mainly asking is where do people get the idea that Satan can counterfeit the gifts of the Spirit spoken of in 1 Corinthians 12.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

So, you think it's a literal dragon in that passage? You believe Satan will be bound by a literal chain in chapter 20? I, personally, take Scripture literally where it is clear to me that it is literal and symbolic where it's clear to me that it is symbolic. I appreciate your opinion, however, and your willingness to try and comply with the request to keep things about Scripture.
                        I do believe that they refer to an actual thing that is going to happen, but I do not want to hi-jack this nice thread you started here with a debate regardig the literal reading of the Word.

I agree with all this, and I agree that many will do lying wonders. What I'm mainly asking is where do people get the idea that Satan can counterfeit the gifts of the Spirit spoken of in 1 Corinthians 12.
                        That is what I have now for you from the Bible, I will check if there is something else, but I am actually also asking the question, same as you. What I do wonder about is these signs the beasts will do????

Again, nice thread, hope we can find an answer.

God bless
                        Phil

Comment

Could someone please point out to me where the Scriptures speak of such a thing. I've heard this countless times and I have yet to see anything of the sort in the Word of God. I realize someone can have a spirit of divination and be able to see things given to them from a demonic spirit, but where does the Word say that Satan can counterfeit the gifts of prophecy, word of wisdom, word of knowledge, discernment, tongues, interpretation of tongues, faith, miracles and healings?

I can't understand how in the world some people come up with this stuff.

I know the Word says that there will be lying wonders, so I guess that could qualify for counterfeit miracles, but what about the others?
                          2Cor.11
                          1. [14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
                          So - if her can pretend to be an angel of light, a good angel from God- could this not be a preacher, minister or any false prophet. Could he not perform false miracles, such as healing ect.....and decieve the beleivers?

1Kgs.22
                          1. [22] And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lyingspirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
                          2. [23] Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning the....

Comment

Originally posted by AlainaJ View Post
                            2Cor.11
                            1. [14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
                            So - if her can pretend to be an angel of light, a good angel from God- could this not be a preacher, minister or any false prophet. Could he not perform false miracles, such as healing ect.....and decieve the beleivers?

1Kgs.22
                            1. [22] And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lyingspirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
                            2. [23] Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning the....
                            I don't believe Satan will perform any sort of healing. As the Scriptures say, the enemy comes not but to steal, kill and destroy. Jesus is the only one who brings life and life more abundantly. I don't believe Satan has any interest whatsoever in healing others. In fact, I believe he's strictly in the business of bringing sickness, disease and famine on anyone he possibly can. I know of no Scriptural evidence that suggests Satan wants to heal anyone for any purpose. In fact, we have evidence that suggests the exact opposite.

The Lord Jesus Christ stated that a house divided against itself will not stand. So if sickness and disease is coming from Satan just as demons come from Satan as well, Jesus Christ makes it clear that Satan is not going to try and deliver someone of his own work.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

I don't believe Satan will perform any sort of healing. As the Scriptures say, the enemy comes not but to steal, kill and destroy. Jesus is the only one who brings life and life more abundantly. I don't believe Satan has any interest whatsoever in healing others. In fact, I believe he's strictly in the business of bringing sickness, disease and famine on anyone he possibly can. I know of no Scriptural evidence that suggests Satan wants to heal anyone for any purpose. In fact, we have evidence that suggests the exact opposite.

The Lord Jesus Christ stated that a house divided against itself will not stand. So if sickness and disease is coming from Satan just as demons come from Satan as well, Jesus Christ makes it clear that Satan is not going to try and deliver someone of his own work.

Here is a thought to ponder

What about witch doctors and all the false healings around the world. Perhaps Satan performs these "miracles" so people won't seek and beleive in the true God.

Just think,,,,,,if the medicine man and the voodoo priest can perform all sorts of healings and miracles- why seek Jesus? Satan wants people to worship him and not God.

Why wouldn't Satan heal? He has the person's soul...so why would he care if he healed them temporaily of some disease?

Luke.11
                              1. [18] If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub.
                              Had people seen demonic spirits cast out before? Maybe some "priest" Remember the magicians in Exodus....they could perform so called miracles - like Moses...but thier snames didn't originate with God.

How did the magicians do this? Why do you think GHod warns us against divination and sorcery...becuase the power comes from the devil.

Acts.8
                              1. [9] But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:
                              2Chr.33
                              1. [6] And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.
                              Where did these spirits come from....not from God...how about the devil it would make sense...he is a lyer and deciever. God warns us ove and over again about this.

In Christ- good discussion

Alaina

Comment

Working...
                              X