This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• halloween: evil or harmless fun?

I haven't been to this forum for a long time, but every once in a while I pop up. Maybe some people might not want to have a thread about halloween, but that was my intention when I came back onto this message board and I think that what I have to say needs to be said. Please read this and at least think about what I have to say on the subject. I also posted most of this on another message board.

************************************************** *********************************************
    Of course, halloween is NOT okay to observe and celebrate. This is so upsetting to see fellow Christians observing it and acting like it's okay. I know all about halloween. I used to love it and it was my favorite day of the year - before I got saved! Then I woke up to the truth. It is evil. It is a pagan observance. Celebrating it at all in any fashion is sin because it is a pagan observance with pagan roots and it completely contradicts the WORD OF GOD. We already have our own fall festival and it's called the Feast Of Tabernacles aka Sukkot which is the fall feast that God set up Himself for us to celebrate (which I just finished observing from 9/26/07 - 10/04/07 as it lasts eight days). Most Christians don't observe the feasts instituted by God because I believe they are being deceived by satan to not even think about those observances and because they are so caught up in their own "holidays" with pagan roots such as halloween, easter and even Christmas (which I would be happy to tell you about). But, God Himself said to observe the Feast Of Tabernacles:

Leviticus 23:2, 4: “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘The feasts of the LORD, which you shall proclaim
    to be holy convocations, these are My feasts." "These are the feasts of the LORD, holy convocations which you shall proclaim at their appointed times." (NKJV) (God instituted the holiday and requires us to observe it)

Zechariah 14:16-19: "And it shall come to pass that everyone who is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, on them there will be no rain. If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which the LORD strikes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. This shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles." (NKJV) (God requires us to observe it. And this is a prophecy talking about our future when Jesus rules the earth.)

This is a history of halloween from MS Encarta Encyclopedia:

"Many of the ancient peoples of Europe marked the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter by celebrating a holiday in late autumn. The most important of these holidays to influence later halloween customs was samhain, a holiday observed by the ancient Celts, a tribal people who inhabited most of Western and Central Europe in the first millennium bc. Among the Celts, samhain marked the end of one year and the beginning of the next. It was one of four Celtic holidays linked to important transitions in the annual cycle of seasons.
    samhain began at sundown on October 31 and extended into the following day. According to the Celtic pagan religion, known as druidism, the spirits of those who had died in the preceding year roamed the earth on samhain evening. The Celts sought to ward off these spirits with offerings of food and drink. The Celts also built bonfires at sacred hilltop sites and performed rituals, often involving human and animal sacrifices, to honor druid deities.
    By the end of the 1st century ad, the Roman Empire had conquered most of the Celtic lands (see Rome, History of). In the process of incorporating the Celts into their empire, the Romans adapted and absorbed some Celtic traditions as part of their own pagan and Catholic religious observances. In Britain, Romans blended local samhain customs with their own pagan harvest festival honoring pomona, goddess of fruit trees. Some scholars have suggested that the game of bobbing for apples derives from this Roman association of the holiday with fruit.
    Pure Celtic influences lingered longer on the western fringes of Europe, especially in areas that were never brought firmly under Roman control, such as Ireland, Scotland, and the Brittany region of northwestern France. In these areas, samhain was abandoned only when the local people converted to Christianity during the early Middle Ages, a period that lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. The Roman Catholic Church often incorporated modified versions of older religious traditions in order to win converts. For example, Pope Gregory IV sought to replace samhain with All Saints’ Day in 835. All Souls’ Day, closer in spirit to samhain and modern halloween, was first instituted at a French monastery in 998 and quickly spread throughout Europe. Folk observances linked to these [Christian holidays], including halloween, thus preserved many of the ancient Celtic customs associated with samhain.
    halloween traditions thought to be incompatible with Christianity often became linked with Christian folk beliefs about evil spirits. Although such superstitions varied a great deal from place to place, many of the supernatural beings now associated with halloween became fixed in the popular imagination during the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance (14th to 17th century). The jack-o’-lantern, originally carved from a large turnip rather than a pumpkin, originated in medieval Scotland. Various methods of predicting the future, especially concerning matters of romance and marriage, were also prominent features of halloween throughout the British Isles.
    Between the 15th and 17th centuries, Europe was seized by a hysterical fear of witches, leading to the persecution of thousands of innocent women. witches were thought to ride flying brooms and to assume the form of black cats. These images of witches soon joined other European superstitions as symbols of halloween."

There are many different resources on the Internet that you can find in order to know the origin of halloween. If you research the history of halloween, as I have, you will find that there is something very wrong about it and it's not only about decorating your house with witches and goblins. It goes even deeper than that. These are only a few Bible quotes that forbid and warn against such practices:

Colossians 2:8: "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." (NKJV)

Proverbs 14:12: "There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death." (NKJV)

Exodus 23:24: "You shall not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do according to their works; but you shall utterly overthrow them and completely break down their sacred pillars." (NKJV)

Leviticus 18: "...According to the doings of the land of Egypt, where you dwelt, you shall not do; and according to the doings of the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you, you shall not do; nor shall you walk in their ordinances. You shall observe My judgments and keep My ordinances, to walk in them: I am the LORD your God. You shall therefore keep My statutes and My judgments, which if a man does, he shall live by them: I am the LORD." (speaks of some of the abominations that they do) ..."Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you. For the land is defiled; therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it, and the land vomits out its inhabitants. You shall therefore keep My statutes and My judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations, either any of your own nation or any stranger who dwells among you for all these abominations the men of the land have done, who were before you, and thus the land is defiled, lest the land vomit you out also when you defile it, as it vomited out the nations that were before you. For whoever commits any of these abominations, the persons who commit them shall be cut off from among their people. Therefore you shall keep My ordinance, so that you do not commit any of these abominable customs which were committed before you, and that you do not defile yourselves by them: I am the LORD your God." (NKJV)

Deuteronomy 12:29-32: "When the LORD your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.' You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way; for every abomination to the LORD which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. "Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it."' (NKJV)

Mark 7: 6-9: He answered and said to them, "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men - the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do." He said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition."
    (NKJV)

1 Corinthians 3:18-21: "Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, 'He catches the wise in their own craftiness;' and again, 'The LORD knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.'" (NKJV)

Isaiah 5:20-21: "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight!" (New King James Version)

1 John 2:15-17: "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that
    is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever." (NKJV)

1 Peter 1:13-16: "Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest
    your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, 'Be holy, for I am holy.'" (NKJV)

Matthew 24:4-15: "And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many."
    (NKJV)

BUT

2 Chronicles 7:14: "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

1 John 1:8-9: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

************************************************** ************************************************

My point in all of this is that the observance of halloween is not of God. It is not "harmless fun." Anything that goes against God is of satan and therefore evil. Anything that contradicts the Word Of God is of satan and therefore evil. Do you honestly think that observing halloween is something that God wants for you to do? Is it His Will for your life? Think about it. Pray about it.

I agree Michele

Comment

Thank you for posting this. I joined this board today looking for fellow believers that stand up for Christ on Halloween. I am always frustrated this time of year, because I feel that I stand alone in this. There is only one other family in our church and I am the only teacher in my Christian school that do not celebrate Halloween.

Comment

I agree, Halloween is not innocent fun....especially today.

Maybe 30 or 40 years ago it was harmless with little cute fake looking costumes and such. Today it has turned into a demonic nightmare.

The decorations are so life like, you would think they came off of a movie set. The costumes are just wicked and disgusting. No more cute little cowboys, but hideous monsters.

This holiday has come to glorify the devil. It amazes me that we can't have a nativiity scene, but we can have demons, ghosts and whitches in the town square. I won't even take my kids to certain stores this time of year becuase of the displays...it makes Nightmare on Elm Steet look rated PG.

God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by Michele840 View Post
          My point in all of this is that the observance of halloween is not of God. It is not "harmless fun." Anything that goes against God is of satan and therefore evil. Anything that contradicts the Word Of God is of satan and therefore evil. Do you honestly think that observing halloween is something that God wants for you to do? Is it His Will for your life? Think about it. Pray about it.
          I think you have said it all, I agree 100%.

Maybe I can just add that there will be people saying that they just do it for the fun and do not bow down to strange gods and so on, even quote the Bible where Paul speaks about eating the meat that is offered to other gods.

BUT

Paul also said:

Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
          Romans 1:32

You know that a wiccan deserves the judgment of God, so why do you dress up as a witch? Is this not having pleasure in them that do it?

Use it, don't use it

God bless
          Phil

Comment

As one who honors and reveres an infinitely holy God, I cannot condone or take part in a holiday that glorifies and celebrates evil, no matter how much "fun" it is.

(Personally, I see nothing "fun" about celebrating that which God hates).
            My Blog

Comment

Its all what you make of it.

Most kids still dress up as things they want to be when they grow up or animals or fairies or what not. (at least young kids like mine)

People are not having bonfires on hilltops and sacrificing animals and humans to druid dieties.

This day and age it is simply harmless fun. Churches have alternative celebrations around this time of year for the kids and some even have pumpkin patches where they sell pumpkins and stuff to raise money.

I remember as a kid there was a family who would not hand out candy and would not allow their kids to participate.

They were tormented on that night because they CHOSE to stick out and make thier kids specticals for their fanatic beliefs.

I guess you have to watch out for those satanic candy bars though!

Comment

Originally posted by rchivers View Post
                They were tormented on that night because they CHOSE to stick out and make thier kids specticals for their fanatic beliefs.
                If desiring to honor the Lord and NOT blend in with the secular world makes me a fanatic, I will gladly wear the label.
                My Blog

Comment

About 15 years ago I noticed that Halloween was being commercialized the way Christmas is. Now you have the Halloween equivalent of strings of lights, decorations for yard and home and you can even get Christmas trees in what I consider to be Halloween colors.

I donít know who the Antichrist will be, but I would assume that he will be born on October 31 and after the Rapture, Halloween will completely replace Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Whispering Grace View Post
                    If desiring to honor the Lord and NOT blend in with the secular world makes me a fanatic, I will gladly wear the label.
                    I guess what I was trying to say is that trick or treating has nothing to do with worshiping satan or denying God.

What is sad is when parents deny their kids the joys of being a kid because of misguided conceptions of what an act is all about.

I'm all for not worshiping or glorifying satan, etc. Dont get me wrong there.

So by your logic, not participating means "honoring the Lord".

Let me ask you this. Will you not pay your taxes because they help fund abortions? Seems that would be the right thing to do doesn't it?

Comment

Its all what you make of it.

I remember as a kid there was a family who would not hand out candy and would not allow their kids to participate.

My point exactly. I do CHOOSE to "stick out" and "make my kids specticals of my fanatic beliefs". I KNOW that I am standing up for Jesus and am teaching my kids to do the same instead of desensitizing them to evil.

What would have happened if Paul had not CHOSEN to "stick out"?

Maybe I am a fanatic in your eyes, but I cannot come to celebrate a holiday that does not bring glory to God just because it is fun and everyone else is doing it.

Comment

Greetings Michele,

Thank you for posting this article. I didn't read the entire article, but in apologetics and evangelism I posted a link to the very same article, or one quite similar. When our family began to worship the One True God we discarded halloween for sake of conscience, but this article is what sealed forever our decision to speak out against this unholiest of all days. Now our family observes Reformation Day on Oct 31th, the very day Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door at Wittenberg Chapel which was the beginning of the Protestant Church we have today.

Halloween symbolizes everything evil, and unholy, and every believer should take a stand against this day of celebration to the angel of darkness, and evil.

Many Blessings,
                        RW

Comment

I guess what I was trying to say is that trick or treating has nothing to do with worshiping satan or denying God.
                          God abhors evil. Halloween celebrates all sorts of evil. We as Christians should not celebrate something God hates.

What is sad is when parents deny their kids the joys of being a kid because of misguided conceptions of what an act is all about.
                          I'd rather my children grow up knowing the joy of the Lord than the empty "joy" of secular man-centered holidays.

Let me ask you this. Will you not pay your taxes because they help fund abortions? Seems that would be the right thing to do doesn't it?
                          Not sure what this has to do with Halloween?
                          My Blog

Comment

Mat 16:25For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for My sake shall find it.

Mat 19:29And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

I guess you have to watch out for those satanic candy bars though!
                            I think it's funny how people try to teach their children to not speak to strangers much less accept candy from strangers then turn around and take their kids or allow their kids to go knock on strangers doors and accept candy from them... talk about sending mixed messages.
                            Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                            -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

[quote=rchivers;1404331

Let me ask you this. Will you not pay your taxes because they help fund abortions? Seems that would be the right thing to do doesn't it?[/quote]

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's: and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22:21

Comment

Working...
                              X