Sick of the confusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick of the confusion?

Sometime it appears to me the we Christian are the most fragmented, confused people on the planet, why do you suppose that is?

You say "sometimes"... so what about the other times, do we appear together and not confused?

I ask cause... well, I don't know, your question confuses me cause I don't know what you're basing your statement on.
    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

The board is a great place to start. Nothing can be posted without someone, usually me, disagreeing. We even disagree on the so called "essentials." 2400 denominations, I don't know how many bible versions. What does saved mean? What about baptism? Once saved always saved? Calvinist or Arminian? Is there anything that we can actually be united on?

I can only imagine what non-christians would say if they came to this board and looked around?

Comment

hmmmm, the only reason I can think is because we are still human and a lot of us live here in the west where it is easy to be a christian.

Ya know, no real reason to really dig our heals in deep for a super strong faith and relationship. Most of us, just don't see the need to get any closer or even to press our way in to get closer. Ya know, we get to a point where we have understanding and feel we don't need to get much closer. But I tell you, people in nations where they are "desperate" daily for safety or food, or whatever, these people CLING to the Word of God like nothing else. It's all they have in many cases, the only hope they have. And while on the surface we know that Jesus is our only hope, but we often hope for a better job or a nicer home or a nicer neighborhood or whatever. They hope that their children will be returned to them in one piece after they have been taken by muslims.
        Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

That's the price the religion pays for so much emphasis on correct belief.

Most religions don't worry quite so much that one believe all the right things so long as one is a member of the community.

When you start emphasizing proper belief in abstract metaphysical concepts, you are going to have division.

Comment

Well, this a discussion board after all-and that's what we're doing-just discussing things-it's family and that's what families do.

Comment

Originally posted by Saved7 View Post
              hmmmm, the only reason I can think is because we are still human and a lot of us live here in the west where it is easy to be a christian.

Ya know, no real reason to really dig our heals in deep for a super strong faith and relationship. Most of us, just don't see the need to get any closer or even to press our way in to get closer. Ya know, we get to a point where we have understanding and feel we don't need to get much closer. But I tell you, people in nations where they are "desperate" daily for safety or food, or whatever, these people CLING to the Word of God like nothing else. It's all they have in many cases, the only hope they have. And while on the surface we know that Jesus is our only hope, but we often hope for a better job or a nicer home or a nicer neighborhood or whatever. They hope that their children will be returned to them in one piece after they have been taken by muslims.

But what about the small percentage that want to know the Truth at all cost? There's still disagreement and confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by punk View Post

Most religions don't worry quite so much that one believe all the right things so long as one is a member of the community.

When you start emphasizing proper belief in abstract metaphysical concepts, you are going to have division.

you have an excellent point. We have a nasty habit of splitting hairs in our community.
                Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post
                  Well, this a discussion board after all-and that's what we're doing-just discussing things-it's family and that's what families do.
                  OK but don't families come to a consensus every once in a while?

Comment

Is the problem then that we have become a religion when we are supposed to be a body that functions together in spite of of our different parts.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                      Is the problem then that we have become a religion when we are supposed to be a body that functions together in spite of of our different parts.
                      The problem is that we suppose there are answers to any question we can formulate.

Comment

The problem is that we suppose there are answers to any question we can formulate.
                        So what are we supposed to do with our questions? Do we do as we have always been told and stop asking questions?

Comment

So what are we supposed to do with our questions? Do we do as we have always been told and stop asking questions?
                          We just have to realize that most of our questions are meaningless.

Usually when a person tells another to stop asking questions when the questions call an official "answer" into question. Realizing both the question and the "answer" are nonsense is a step forward.

Comment

We just have to realize that most of our questions are meaningless.

Usually when a person tells another to stop asking questions when the questions call an official "answer" into question. Realizing both the question and the "answer" are nonsense is a step forward.
                            Ok, How is a person saved? Is this a meaningless question?

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=102238- even in particular denominations.

Comment

Ok, How is a person saved? Is this a meaningless question?

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=102238- even in particular denominations.
                              It is a meaningless question.

The fact is the answer to "how is a person saved" usually only serves to tell you who can claim membership in a particular denomination.

If you are going to join a "born again" church then you must have had a "born again" type of experience, and you call that experience "being saved".

A saved person is saved, and a not saved person is not saved, and the only time the question comes up is when you are trying to claim membership in a community.

Comment

Working...
                              X