Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son Of Man....this term confuses me...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Son Of Man....this term confuses me...

    What exactly does son of man mean....who is the son and who is the man?? I dont know why but that term just bothers me...probably because I dont know what it means. Or is it easier than I think?
    I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
    My Rock & My Salvation
    Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
    Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

  • #2
    Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

    Jesus was both Son of God, and son of man. Fully God and fully human.

    John 1:14
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

    The term 'son of man' simply refers to human beings, who are begotten by human beings.
    Jesus was begotten by God, but born of a human female. Thus, both Son of God and son of man.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
      Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

      Jesus was both Son of God, and son of man. Fully God and fully human.

      John 1:14
      And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

      The term 'son of man' simply refers to human beings, who are begotten by human beings.
      Jesus was begotten by God, but born of a human female. Thus, both Son of God and son of man.

      Ohh okay! That was easy to understand!! thanks!
      I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
      My Rock & My Salvation
      Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
      Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
        What exactly does son of man mean....who is the son and who is the man?? I dont know why but that term just bothers me...probably because I dont know what it means. Or is it easier than I think?
        In the New Testament, the phrase "son of" can mean "with the characteristic of." For instance, the two apostles James and John were called "sons of thunder".

        Comment


        • #5
          The term "son of man" is used in a poetic sense, and in such cases is usually paired up with "man".

          Numbers 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

          Job 25:6 how much less man, who is a maggot, and the son of man, who is a worm!

          Job 35:8 Your wickedness concerns a man like yourself, and your righteousness a son of man.

          Psalm 8:4 what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?

          Psalm 80:17 But let your hand be on the man of your right hand, the son of man whom you have made strong for yourself!

          And in the same format in Psalm 144:3, Isaiah 51:12, Isaiah 56:2 and Jeremiah 50:40. It is then used about 93 times (to my count) in Ezekiel to specifically refer to that prophet (Ezekiel). Is it used once in Daniel in a Messianic context ("Behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man"), and once to refer to Daniel himself ("Understand, o son of man"). Christ uses the phrase extensively to refer to Himself (29 times in the gospel of Matthew), specifically in a few cases in order to directly link Himself to the Messianic "son of man" found in Daniel.

          In essence, I would say that "son of man" is poetic/prophetic phrase that is synonymous with the individual "man". So... "a son of man[kind]" can mean the same thing as just "a man".
          To This Day

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
            What exactly does son of man mean....who is the son and who is the man?? I dont know why but that term just bothers me...probably because I dont know what it means. Or is it easier than I think?
            Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
            Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

            Jesus was both Son of God, and son of man. Fully God and fully human.

            John 1:14
            And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

            The term 'son of man' simply refers to human beings, who are begotten by human beings.
            Jesus was begotten by God, but born of a human female. Thus, both Son of God and son of man.
            Indeed, Jesus is referring to the passage in Daniel 7.

            In that passage there are four "beasts", animals which would attack and kill a person. And each beast represents a kingdom.

            Then there is another kingdom, represented by a human being, one of us, someone on our side - not a vicious, deadly animal.

            To be the "son of" something means to be one just like that thing that its a son of.

            Same goes with "son of God". Jesus is the one and only (by nature) "Son of God". In other words, to be the "Son of God" is to be God, just as to be a "son of man" is to be man (in the sense of being human, not necessarily just male). So Jesus is God and man.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
              What exactly does son of man mean....who is the son and who is the man?? I dont know why but that term just bothers me...probably because I dont know what it means. Or is it easier than I think?
              Well, Kahtar made an important observation--quoting from Daniel 7. The term "Son of Man" is a reference to the Messiah.

              In general "son of something" also essentially carries with it the meaning of type "something." IOW, to say that Jesus was the "Son of Man" means that He was fully human--type human. To say that He was the "Son of God" then means that He was also fully God.

              It's interesting that "Son of Man" appears to have been Jesus' favorite way to refer to Himself.

              BD
              3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

              BadDog!

              Comment


              • #8
                Jesus is the Son of man by necessity. He referred to himself as Son of man out of necessity. God crowned man with glory and honor and placed all things in subjection to him and there is nothing that is not subject to him. First Adam failed, the last Adam did not. Man has dominion. There needed to be a man, that could reach one hand up to God from earth and bring the two together (reconciliation).

                1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

                Comment


                • #9
                  response

                  Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
                  What exactly does son of man mean....who is the son and who is the man?? I dont know why but that term just bothers me...probably because I dont know what it means. Or is it easier than I think?


                  son of man is used synonomously with the word or office of prophet. it was the man of God that had thus saith the Lord for the peoples and nations. the Son of Man was the office he was in at that time

                  you have three offices son of man, son of god, and son of david which Christ held and will hold in future ages
                  Last edited by davidharding; Mar 24th 2009, 05:35 AM. Reason: correction

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JesusReignsForever View Post
                    What exactly does son of man mean....who is the son and who is the man?? I dont know why but that term just bothers me...probably because I dont know what it means. Or is it easier than I think?
                    Great question! SON of Man show the Human side of JESUS CHRIST; I'm sure you've heard/read that JESUS CHRIST is THE ROOT and Off-spring of David; This means that JESUS CHRIST, before HE became JESUS CHRIST, when HE was ONLY THE WORD of GOD, was/is Responsible for the Creation of David (David's "Root"), one of Adam's descendants; but JESUS CHRIST, being born, biologically, of Mary, is also a descendant of David (David's "Off-Spring") as well. JESUS CHRIST is both, Biologically, "THE SON of GOD", as well as, biologically, "THE SON of Man(kind)".

                    Ergo, Biologically, as MAN (Human), JESUS CHRIST is THE SON of Man (Mary's father, Heli/Eli; back to David; back to Abraham, back to Adam); but, as GOD, HE IS THE LIVING WORD of GOD; THE WORD of GOD made Human/"Flesh" (John 1:1-4,14); THE SON of GOD, that proceeded from "The Bosom of THE FATHER", but also from "the Bowels" of Mankind.

                    Is this more understandable for you?
                    My Blog:
                    THE BIG(GER) PICTURE

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by THOM View Post
                      This means that JESUS CHRIST, before HE became JESUS CHRIST, when HE was ONLY THE WORD of GOD, was/is Responsible for the Creation of David
                      Hi Thom,
                      So do you think Jesus was an archangel with God when he created Adam and this is why Genesis 1:26 says "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" ?

                      djh22

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by djh22 View Post
                        Hi Thom,
                        So do you think Jesus was an archangel with God when he created Adam and this is why Genesis 1:26 says "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" ?

                        djh22
                        Hello there DJH22;

                        To answer your question, I have to state, No. . .EMPHATICALLY NO. . .JESUS CHRIST is NOT, nor has ever been just "an archangel". All angels are Created beings; Scripture list only three archangels, Lucifer (now Satan), Michael, and Gabriel. And JESUS CHRIST [THE WORD of GOD] was with GOD in the Creation of angels.

                        HE [JESUS CHRIST] IS THE WORD of GOD; THE HOLY SPIRIT/GHOST IS THE POWER of GOD.
                        When GOD THE FATHER, stated, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness", HE was speaking to HIS ENTIRE SELF:

                        GOD THE FATHER;

                        GOD THE WORD [THE WORD of GOD WHO became JESUS CHRIST (John 1:1-4,14)];

                        GOD THE POWER [THE HOLY SPIRIT/GHOST (Luke 1:35)].


                        My Blog:
                        THE BIG(GER) PICTURE

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by THOM View Post
                          Hello there DJH22;

                          To answer your question, I have to state, No. . .EMPHATICALLY NO. . .JESUS CHRIST is NOT, nor has ever been just "an archangel". All angels are Created beings; Scripture list only three archangels, Lucifer (now Satan), Michael, and Gabriel. And JESUS CHRIST [THE WORD of GOD] was with GOD in the Creation of angels.

                          HE [JESUS CHRIST] IS THE WORD of GOD; THE HOLY SPIRIT/GHOST IS THE POWER of GOD.
                          When GOD THE FATHER, stated, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness", HE was speaking to HIS ENTIRE SELF:

                          GOD THE FATHER;

                          GOD THE WORD [THE WORD of GOD WHO became JESUS CHRIST (John 1:1-4,14)];

                          GOD THE POWER [THE HOLY SPIRIT/GHOST (Luke 1:35)].


                          Ok,Ok, no need to shout, I'll take that as a no then.

                          Seriously though, yea I see what you mean.

                          Best.
                          djh22.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Scripture list only three archangels, Lucifer (now Satan), Michael, and Gabriel.
                            This is misleading... first, Satan is not once identified with "lucifer". Second, "lucifer" is an adjective, not a noun (let alone a name). Third, Satan is never called an archangel. Fourth, Gabriel is never called an archangel. Fifth, Scripture doesn't "list" any archangels; the Greek word that means "archangel" is only used twice in the entirety of Scripture (remember, I'm talking about the Hebrew and Greek here, not English translations), and only once is the term applied to a specific individual (Michael). If we're going to say "Scripture says..." we need to make sure we're attributing the proper statements to Scripture.
                            To This Day

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by markedward View Post
                              This is misleading... first, Satan is not once identified with "lucifer". Second, "lucifer" is an adjective, not a noun (let alone a name). Third, Satan is never called an archangel. Fourth, Gabriel is never called an archangel. Fifth, Scripture doesn't "list" any archangels; the Greek word that means "archangel" is only used twice in the entirety of Scripture (remember, I'm talking about the Hebrew and Greek here, not English translations), and only once is the term applied to a specific individual (Michael). If we're going to say "Scripture says..." we need to make sure we're attributing the proper statements to Scripture.
                              Please forgive me, I'm still trying to master English, my native language.
                              I understand Scripture in English; I explain Scripture in English; I Teach and Preach Scripture in English; I study the Greek and Hebrew when I want to translate a word into, yeah you guessed it, English.

                              If Scripture call him "Satan", "Lucifer", "the anointed cherub", or even, "the devil", that's good enough for me.

                              It is written (JESUS CHRIST speaking), "And HE said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. (Luke 10:18)"

                              It is written elsewhere, "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! (Isaiah 14:12)"

                              And again, it is written, "Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou [wast] perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. (Ezekiel 28:14-17)"

                              Scripture teaches us about 3 main [Arch]angels: Lucifer (chief cherub of Praise and Worship); Gabriel (chief Messenger/Communication); and Michael (angel of Defense, if you will). Now are these angels, or not?
                              My Blog:
                              THE BIG(GER) PICTURE

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X