Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should people be allowed to eat/drink during a sermon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should people be allowed to eat/drink during a sermon?

i went with an old friend to his church recently, it was a nice church. except i noticed that people were eatting and drinking during the sermon which made it difficult to hear the pastor (with the crinkling of wrappers and slurpping of drinks). this church had a snack shop in their lobby which was nice, but i thought it was strange that people could take food in the main room with them. there was alot of people there and nobody seemed to mind, maybe i'm just old fashioned, but you know that sound when someone is finishing a pepsi with a straw? the very end of it? the sound it makes is loud. i finally just gave up on listening to the sermon because the noise was clouding his voice.

you know God's house of worship is a sacred place, it seems as though at this church they are trying to make it less formal to attract ones.

If we learn to lift up Jesus, HE will draw all men

I think it is inappropriate minimize the sacredness of our churches, especially when we have no problems obeying prohibitions of food and drink in some public buildings.
    It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Originally posted by w_zez View Post
      i went with an old friend to his church recently, it was a nice church. except i noticed that people were eatting and drinking during the sermon which made it difficult to hear the pastor (with the crinkling of wrappers and slurpping of drinks). this church had a snack shop in their lobby which was nice, but i thought it was strange that people could take food in the main room with them. there was alot of people there and nobody seemed to mind, maybe i'm just old fashioned, but you know that sound when someone is finishing a pepsi with a straw? the very end of it? the sound it makes is loud. i finally just gave up on listening to the sermon because the noise was clouding his voice.
      How long did he speak for? and is it the same guy every Sunday?

Comment

Everywhere is different, but I don't think I would like food while listening to the sermon. We are meant to be focusing on Jesus not our food and we're not in a movie theater looking for entertainment. Sometimes I wonder if thats what people have reduced church too.. entertainment!

Comment

I think it is incredibly distracting. I also have a problem with food in the classroom even though I used to be guilty of doing it. You are there to learn, not to chow down. People should get up a few minutes early to eat something. It takes me less than 10 minutes to have toast and coffee.

Comment

What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you. 1 Corinthians 11:22

Paul makes it clear we should leave the eating and drinking to our homes. In church we are supposed to be focused on and worshiping the Lord!
            My Blog

Comment

I dont see a problem with it.
              xPurity Through Resistancex

Straight Edge

Comment

Originally posted by w_zez View Post
                i went with an old friend to his church recently, it was a nice church. except i noticed that people were eatting and drinking during the sermon which made it difficult to hear the pastor i finally just gave up on listening to the sermon because the noise was clouding his voice.
                I know Paul smacked up on the Corinthian church for making a spectacle of their gatherings in regards to food & drink:

"When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not." I Corinthians 11:20-22

Shame on that church......

Comment

should people be allowed to eat/drink during a sermon?

What apalling manners than to even think of doing so!!!

Comment

I have to be honest, if someone wants to eat a donut or drink a cup of coffee in church, I really don't really have a problem with it. that being said, there are plenty of churches out there that prohibit it for those that do have a problem with it.

in addition, my husband is a type-1 diabetic and sometimes he has no choice but to drink a coke or eat a snickers during church. how silly it would be for someone to decide that he's being disrespectful or sacreligious!

I can see how opening a wrapper or sucking through a straw could be rather distracting and obnoxious but it still seems a bit petty to me.

all that being said, there are far more interesting things going on in my church for me to be worried about whether the guy sitting in the pew next to me should or should not be eating that chocolate covered donut!
                    "Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you..."
                    Acts 26:16

"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty.But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up..."
                    daniel 3

http://jason-beth-babynickel.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PrayerInMemphis View Post
                      I have to be honest, if someone wants to eat a donut or drink a cup of coffee in church, I really don't really have a problem with it. that being said, there are plenty of churches out there that prohibit it for those that do have a problem with it.

in addition, my husband is a type-1 diabetic and sometimes he has no choice but to drink a coke or eat a snickers during church. how silly it would be for someone to decide that he's being disrespectful or sacreligious!
                      I think that ones would understand about the diabetic dilemma, and I'm sure that your husband would do what he had to do discreetly

but it is not, according to the scriptures appropriate to just casually eat in church. what is wrong with eating at home before church?
                      It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

The only time I don't have a problem with it is if it's little children (I've seen little bags of cheerios floating around ) or someone who is ill and needs to have something. I've been guilty of having a sip or two of bottled water a couple times and actually forced myself not to do it after that when I thought about it.

The last church we attended had some food and drinks in between services...around 10:00am. Surely people should eat before they get to church...I don't think an hour to an hour and a half is too long to go without food. Yes, wrapper noises are very distracting.

Live your life in such a
                        way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

As long as they share it with the preacher, I see no problem...

Now pass some warm Root Beer and a burger my way while I explain Supra-lapsarianism...
                          God happens!
                          'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
                          http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
                          Originally posted by ProjectPeter
                          When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Comment

Originally posted by always View Post
                            what is wrong with eating at home before church?
                            nothing at all is wrong with eating at home. nothing at all is wrong with eating a donut you bought from the youth group at church, imo.

as I've stated time & time again, I have enough sweepin' up to do around my own back porch to worry about whether Jane Doe should or should not be drinking that cup of coffee during the sermon. plus, there are so many other things I'm focused on during church, I'm not even sure I would notice...and if I did, I would hope that right then I would say a silent prayer & ask the Lord to help me concentrate on more important matters(like the sermon, for example.)_

it just seems rather trivial to me, I guess.
                            "Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you..."
                            Acts 26:16

"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty.But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up..."
                            daniel 3

http://jason-beth-babynickel.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PrayerInMemphis View Post
                              nothing at all is wrong with eating at home. nothing at all is wrong with eating a donut you bought from the youth group at church, imo.

as I've stated time & time again, I have enough sweepin' up to do around my own back porch to worry about whether Jane Doe should or should not be drinking that cup of coffee during the sermon. plus, there are so many other things I'm focused on during church, I'm not even sure I would notice...and if I did, I would hope that right then I would say a silent prayer & ask the Lord to help me concentrate on more important matters(like the sermon, for example.)_

it just seems rather trivial to me, I guess.

alright, wells lets hope the sermon at one time is on

When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not." I Corinthians 11:20-22

Comment

Working...
                              X