Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does God change “your” mind?

Does God change “your” mind?

The question may seem easy at first, but the question begs more than a yes or no answer… Does God work in the hearts and minds of men?

And of course... scripture behind your reply would be greatly appreciated....
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

does God change your mind in like forcefully change your mind? or not forcefully? I'm confused a little by the question.
    "Everyone needs a Hobab"~ Brother Mark

δολος Χριστός ησος
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post

The question may seem easy at first, but the question begs more than a yes or no answer… Does God work in the hearts and minds of men?

It is the Holy Spirt who dwells in us after salvation that changes our mind- meaning I no longer want those thngs I did before I was saved. A light bulb has gone off- I know desire the things of God.

1Cor.2
      1. [13] Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
      The Holy Spirit teaches us and show us the will of God, so we can change our minds from darkness to light.
      John.14
      1. [26] But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
      Acts.4
      1. [8] Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
      2. [31] And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness
      These men spoke and acted through the power of God- working as the Holy Spirit
      Last edited by AlainaJ; Oct 19th 2007, 02:46 PM. Reason: added scripture

Comment

God influences our minds, but doesnt change them.

If He did so, He would be responsible for what we do, including the wrong things we do- which is impossible.

He gives suggestions, and its up to us to respond to those suggestions.
        "Death is not the end of life, but a change in life"

"Innocence is ugly
        to the one who is guilty"
        -10 Years

Holbrook Johnson: "Those who reason are lost."
        GK Chesterton: "Those who do not reason are not worth finding."

Comment

I think mind could be described as outlook. Christians struggle with sin, but they now know it's wrong and they try to fight it. It could be viewed as a veil that has been pulled back. I saw the world through my eyes, now the veil has been pulled back and I see it through God's eyes. I see a plant that looked pretty (drugs, fornication, etc.) , but now that the veil is pulled back I see the plant is rotting at the roots and has several leaves being eaten by bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by sunney4 View Post
            does God change your mind in like forcefully change your mind? or not forcefully? I'm confused a little by the question.
            Go whereever you see scripture suggesting.... This mystery can be seen all throughout the word, for God is an active God, so for me a good point I like is:

Proverbs 16:9
            The mind of man plans his way,
            But the LORD directs his steps.

Hope this clarifies the question for you to offer a response....

Comment

Another sound bite is:

Jude 24,25
              24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,
              25 to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

Comment

And one more for now:

Genesis 20:6
                Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.

Comment

Go whereever you see scripture suggesting.... This mystery can be seen all throughout the word, for God is an active God, so for me a good point I like is:

Proverbs 16:9
                  The mind of man plans his way,
                  But the LORD directs his steps.

Hope this clarifies the question for you to offer a response....
                  A Scripture in the New Testament that sort of relates to this in regards to repentance that I like is this . . .

Romans 2:4
                  Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?
                  It's because of His goodness that He leads us to repentance. I don't believe he forces us to change our mind, but like it says, I do believe He guides and leads us in the direction He would like us to go.
                  "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

This is what quickly came to my mind when I read your question, RBG:

Rom 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

The way I read this, it doesn't say transform ourselves. It says BE transformed. It's something being done to us, in us.

And lest we think that we are responsible for the renewing of the mind which is necessary for that transformation to take place:

Titus 3:5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,
                    Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

I think the only biblical answer is an absolute "yes". God changes our mind.

Now, we step into the realm of "HOW" does God change our mind.

Does God purely use external forces to bring about change in our mind.

Does God purely use internal forces to bring about change in our mind.

A combination of both? Is each individual experience different in degree?

How do determinism and our will play into the discussion. Is there determinism? Is there "free will"? Is our will compatible with determism?

Should be interesting.

I personally thank God that He changed my mind and continues to change my mind (however He does it). He rescues me from my own worst enemy. Me!
                      WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
                      securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

revelation, light

Does love change your mind or get your attention?

Luk 11:36 If thy whole body therefore [be] full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

Act 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                          I personally thank God that He changed my mind and continues to change my mind (however He does it). He rescues me from my own worst enemy. Me!
                          I agree, of course, but it begs the question -- why does it take so long for that rescue to take place sometimes? Was thinking about that earlier this morning, actually. I assume that is His will to allow the battle raging within us to continue for whatever period of time He has determined will best suit His purpose of conforming our will to His and making us into His image. I find that both disconcerting and somewhat comforting at the same time.

And how does one keep from falling into a fatalistic life-view which could lead to apathy, while still fully acknowledging God's sovereignty? It almost seems like one has to be able to see both sides of the coin at the same time - one side is to take responsibility for utilizing the means of grace that God has provided us with, while the other side is to acknowledge that it is only God's working within us which causes us to desire that grace.

Anyway, just some things I was contemplating in the shower this morning.
                          Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

The way Jesus taught was remarkable. He caused people to see things in a totally different light. The views previously held were brought into question.

The Lord had done this in my life. There are so many things in this world we live in that we have never brought into question. We were raised in such a way that this was just the way things were.

I remember a story about this little girl asking her mother why she cut the ham down on Thanksgiving. The mother told the little girl she didnt know, that was the way her mother did it and her mother's mother. So the little girls mother asked the question to her grandmother, why do we cut the ham down on Thanksgiving? The grandmother told her the reason she cut the ham down was so it would fit into the pan.

I laughed when I read this because this is how we are. We dont always know why we do the things we do.

It is in the honestly asking, that we find out the truth.

I like the story of Peter walking on the water for this one. He had to throw out everything he knew to be true. I mean the idea of gravity would have made this act impossible. Faith in God makes what was once impossible possible.

I want God to renew my mind. Give me a whole new perspective on things. This world is boring, it doesnt offer the impossible possibilities. I already know what I can do, I want to know what God can do thru me. And if it takes changing everything I thought I knew and understood, well praise God and bring it on!

God Bless
                            "Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!"

~Matthew 12:50~

Comment

Originally posted by dancedwithdolphin View Post
                              I already know what I can do, I want to know what God can do thru me. And if it takes changing everything I thought I knew and understood, well praise God and bring it on!
                              Amen, DWD! (I can't rep, so I had to say it here. )

Comment

Working...
                              X