Why are we here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are we here?

For thousands of years- since the beginning of creation- a piece of the world has been waiting for your soul to purify and repair it. And your soul, from the time it was first emanated and conceived, waited above to descend to this world and carry out that mission. And your footsteps were guided to reach that place. And you are there now.

Tzvi Freeman, from a meditation by Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson.

I disagree. We are here because God is a God of steadfast love (Numbers 14:18) and because He desired to create a fitting bride for His Son (Genesis 2:18, Ephesians 5:31-32) in order to express Himself in the intimacy of love (Hosea 1:10, 3:4-5, Isaiah 54:4-5). The Lord desires to have those who are close enough to Him that He can share His heart with them (Amos 3:7) and who can call themselves His friends (Genesis 18:17-19, John 15:12-15). He desires to have the people of His creation as the inheritance for His Son, Jesus (Psalm 2:7-8) and He desires to make us adopted sons and co-heirs with His own Son (Galatians 4:4-7) and thus co-rulers with Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God (Revelation 3:20-21).

That is why we are here.

Comment

Well we are here cause God chose to send us here to we could learn the coirrect relationship between Him and us, and experience His goodness.
      On the other hand this is an ultimate test for to find out if we are willing to walk in His ways or be disobedient.

Experiencing the Torah is a multidimensional thing while we are here.

Shalom my friend,
      Tanja
      Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
      2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
      If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
      http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
        For thousands of years- since the beginning of creation- a piece of the world has been waiting for your soul to purify and repair it. And your soul, from the time it was first emanated and conceived, waited above to descend to this world and carry out that mission. And your footsteps were guided to reach that place. And you are there now.

Not sure what is meant. Is this to imply an internal/external distinction?

Comment

So no one here thinks we're here to be good and do good to others? To make the world a more spiritual place?

Comment

So no one here thinks we're here to be good and do good to others? To make the world a more spiritual place?
            I do!

Everything was created to give pleasure to the One who created it, so being good, doing good to others, and making the world a more spiritual place should be results of pleasing God.

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Proverbs 16:4b The LORD hath made all things for himself:

So in light of the above, the real question should be "are you fulfilling the meaning of life by pleasing the One who gave it to you?"
            - Matt -
            Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
            of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

As in, "go to our Fathers house in peace".

Comment

We are here to Glorify our Creator God, and to determine who really desires to spend eternity with Him. . . after all, if anyone doesn't want to please Him, won't obey Him or spend time with Him during their relatively short life on earth why would they want to spend eternity with Him?

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                  We are here to Glorify our Creator God, and to determine who really desires to spend eternity with Him. . . after all, if anyone doesn't want to please Him, won't obey Him or spend time with Him during their relatively short life on earth why would they want to spend eternity with Him?
                  In a generic sense that may well be true, but each of us, individually, have a unique mission that only we can do.

Comment

The general idea seems sound

"For thousands of years- since the beginning of creation- a piece of the world has been waiting for your soul to purify and repair it. And your soul, from the time it was first emanated and conceived, waited above to descend to this world and carry out that mission. And your footsteps were guided to reach that place. And you are there now."
                    Basically I agree: this seems to be biblical teaching. Ephesians 2:10 states "we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

After making some other crucial points, Paul picks up this thought again in chapter 4:1-7 "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ."

Thus, Paul is saying that God has created us for good works, and has given each of us gifts, which he selected for each of us, that with these gifts we might build up Christ's body, and do the good deeds and service that will glorify God. This is similar to Jesus' admonition, in Matt. 5, that we should "let your light so shine before people that they will see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven", but with more specific emphasis on the way God calls and prepares each one of us to do various specific things -- and prepares good works so that we will be there to do them!

Comment

This has a sort of kabbalistic ring to it.

To put it in more conventional contemporary Christian terms it sounds like he is saying that the original pure world is fallen (as in the Fall), or somehow "broken", and we each exist as part of the process to "repair" the "broken" world.

This actually points to one of the differences between a Jewish and Christian view, where the Christian view would be that the Fall can only be repaired by God through Christ by a complete recreation of the world at the Second Coming, the Jewish view allows for a more gradual repair with human participation.

This is not to say here that one or the other view is right or wrong, just to point out the background theological views you are going to run up against upholding Schneerson's take.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                        I would assert Schneerson would agree with you.

He is just describing what obeying God points us to do.

Comment

No.

In a generic sense that may well be true, but each of us, individually, have a unique mission that only we can do.

Yes. Only I can love God in the way that I do. He enjoys me in a way that is totally and utterly unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                            No.
                            Well, this is why I love being Jewish. My mission is to make the world as good a place as I am personally capable of doing; and leave the rest, and the hereafter, to God.

Comment

Well, this is why I love being Jewish. My mission is to make the world as good a place as I am personally capable of doing; and leave the rest, and the hereafter, to God.
                              That is all well and good. I presume you believe an unbeliever will not go to heaven?

Comment

Working...
                              X