Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is drinking a sin?

Hi everyone,
    I am new here you may have seen my post in the introduction earlier, but I have a question. What are your views on drinking wine? Many Christians say drinking is wrong, but then there are instances of it in the Bible. I know getting drunk is a sin, but what about just drinking it socially?

When someone asks me this question, I show them verses and ask them to pray about it and come to their own personal conviction.

1 Corinthians 8:9-"But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak."

Galatians 5:13-"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another."

Ephesians 5:18-"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"

P.S. I don't drink..I used to before I was saved but for me it is and would be a stumbling block. That is my personal conviction. It may not be that for someone else.
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by Cassidy View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I am new here you may have seen my post in the introduction earlier, but I have a question. What are your views on drinking wine? Many Christians say drinking is wrong, but then there are instances of it in the Bible. I know getting drunk is a sin, but what about just drinking it socially?
      It's okay to drink a bit here and there. Just not in excess. Christ and the disciples drank - as did most of the men during that time. Some of this I think had to due with water purification issues during those times. Personally I don't drink myself due to the fact that I have problems with drug/alcohol addictions on both sides of my family.

Comment

I beleive we can abuse anything and anything can become a sin.

Alcohol, food, drugs, sports...anything.

Jesus turned the water into wine...wine was served at the last supper...so having a drink, is not the sin. It is getting drunk that is the sin.

However, many who take a drink, don't stop at one and find themselves drunk. So, if you have a tendency to want to get drunk and can't stop at just one- I would advise you like I do- just don't drink.

John.2
        1. [3] And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
        2. [9] When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,
        John.4
        1. [46] So Jesus came again into Cana of Galilee, where he made the water wine. And there was a certain nobleman, whose son was sick at Capernaum.
        Rom.14
        1. [21] It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
        Paul is not forbidding drinking..but we should not do something that may cause another brother to sin or be offend.

God Bless

Comment

This would be a dangerous subject around newly saved alcoholics.

A Christian brother of mine stated when asked this question, "One drink is too many and a thousand is not enough."

Comment

I'd be interested in why you want to drink wine? Honestly, is it because you enjoy the effect it has on you, does it take that edge off after a hard day at work, do you enjoy getting tiddly with your partner/friends? Or do you just like the taste? If it's just a taste preference then why not sacrifice it and get used to drinking non-fermented grape juice like Jesus drank...the fruit of the vine! (Luke 22:18)

Abstinence is the best policy for Christians. We are commanded to abstain from all appearance of evil in 1 Thessalonians 5:22.

The world loves it's alcohol, yet we are told not to love the world or the things in the world in 1 John 2:15, and if we do the love of the Father is not in us.

1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

I think I made my point.
            - Matt -
            Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
            of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

Well we all know that drunkenness is the sin here. Here is something new to think about.

think about how easy it can be to cross that line of sobriety. It can be as quick as a few beers or a couple of glasses of wine. I think sometimes that people have a hard time discearning when they are drunk. Alot of people think that drunk implies stumbling around and muttering incessent nonsense.

When simpily, according to Merriam Webster, it has to do with "having the faculties impaired by alcohol".
              Originally posted by Job 34:19
              God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Comment

I don't know of any Scripture which states that drinking is a sin, but there is plently of Scripture which states that drunkeness is a sin. And if there remains the possiblity that drinking will lead to your becoming drunk, then it is best to avoid taking the first sip of anything alcoholic to begin with.
                We also need to remember than in Biblical times, clean drinkable water wasn't readily available, which means that the juice of grapes was often used to quench ones thirst, and that the grape juice often became fermented.
                If you believe what you like in the gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself. - Augustine

Comment

Yes drinking can lead to drunkeness and eating can lead to gluttony and lust to lasciviousness.

Galatians 5:16-26
                  16 So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you wonít be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict. 18 But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law.
                  19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, 20 idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
                  22 But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law.
                  24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25 If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spiritís leading in every part of our lives. 26 Let us not become conceited, or irritate one another, or be jealous of one another.

Comment

Good info thus far and I agree with DSK.

I personally don't have a problem with having one or two drinks on occasion, but many can't handle that and they need more and have to have it all the time which soon becomes a problem. Everything needs to be done in moderation, even the foods we eat.

There is a verse I like to keep in mind that although talks about sexual immorality, it can apply to anything:

1 Cor 6:12
                    "Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

Everything is permissible for us. We can have anything, but it may not always be beneficial for us and soon may become a problem and we become mastered by it...we become slaves to it.

So although drinking may not be a sin, the amount you have can be. If you are the type that is able to have one drink here and there (here and there being on special occasions or whatever provided you don't find every day a special occasion ) then it's not a sin. If you are the type to crave more then it is a sin because you "need" it. I, myself, have a small glass of wine every so often...that probably equals up to 3-4 times a year at best.

It's probably best just to stay away from it for most people though.

Live your life in such a
                    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DSK View Post
                      I don't know of any Scripture which states that drinking is a sin, but there is plently of Scripture which states that drunkeness is a sin. And if there remains the possiblity that drinking will lead to your becoming drunk, then it is best to avoid taking the first sip of anything alcoholic to begin with.
                      We also need to remember than in Biblical times, clean drinkable water wasn't readily available, which means that the juice of grapes was often used to quench ones thirst, and that the grape juice often became fermented.
                      Using this logic to not even sip an alcoholic drink because it might lead to drunkeness would keep you from eating a bite of anything because it might lead to gluttony. That can't be the case.

Is there a difference between setting down and eating 2 large pizzas or drinking a 12 pack of beer??? Both are sin but we (Christians) think that the beer carries more of a sin weight and that is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post
                        When someone asks me this question, I show them verses and ask them to pray about it and come to their own personal conviction.

1 Corinthians 8:9-"But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak."

Galatians 5:13-"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another."

Ephesians 5:18-"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;"

P.S. I don't drink..I used to before I was saved but for me it is and would be a stumbling block. That is my personal conviction. It may not be that for someone else.
                        Couldn't have said it any better than this.

At our bible study last week, we touched on this. My pastor said that while it's not a 'sin' to drink, per se', the general consensus among unbelievers is that Christians don't drink. So let's say you were in a restaurant and order a beer, and then the Lord leads you to witness to someone in the next booth..what will they think if they see a beer bottle on your table? Just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Soj_NZ View Post
                          I'd be interested in why you want to drink wine? Honestly, is it because you enjoy the effect it has on you, does it take that edge off after a hard day at work, do you enjoy getting tiddly with your partner/friends? Or do you just like the taste? If it's just a taste preference then why not sacrifice it and get used to drinking non-fermented grape juice like Jesus drank...the fruit of the vine! (Luke 22:18)

Abstinence is the best policy for Christians. We are commanded to abstain from all appearance of evil in 1 Thessalonians 5:22.

The world loves it's alcohol, yet we are told not to love the world or the things in the world in 1 John 2:15, and if we do the love of the Father is not in us.

1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

I think I made my point.
                          Jesus said in Mark 7:

14Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 15Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' "

17After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? 19For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.") 20He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' 21For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "

Comment

That is also my conviction karenoka27.
                            Kingsdaughter

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                              Couldn't have said it any better than this.

At our bible study last week, we touched on this. My pastor said that while it's not a 'sin' to drink, per se', the general consensus among unbelievers is that Christians don't drink. So let's say you were in a restaurant and order a beer, and then the Lord leads you to witness to someone in the next booth..what will they think if they see a beer bottle on your table? Just something to think about.
                              hmmmmm. I could say it may not a negative thing. It could say them Christians like to have a beer on occasion just like me. I know alot of people that wouldn't take a negative spin on it.

You can't please everyone! LOL!

I remember an occasion during a festival I worked for 7 years - Oktoberfest - while I working in the volunteer booth. Both my co-worker and I are Christian, and active within our community and church. The festival's purpose was to raise funds for scholarships, and to show German Hertitage (great entertainment!). I will on occasion sit down with a small stein of beer and have a brat and potato salad for dinner! You can only get this special beer once a year, and its very tasty!

We had someone come up and ask me (I think it was one of our volunteers), "I thought 'church goers' didn't drink!" My partner in the booth - she never drinks either looks at me. I said, "Well! The bible doesn't say we can't drink.....lol Its says its a sin to get DRUNK! There are some like my partner in crime here that doesn't tho! You are correct!" She grinned at me when I said that. He responses, "Oh! I can live with that!" lol then goes on and on about how that is a good answer, and how I was refreshing in my approach. How he was happy to see that not all church goers (his term not mine!) aren't so unapproachable! How I'm a far cry from the 'stick in the mud' he has dealt with in the past. LOL it was interesting to say the least! He was there talking to us for a while! I think people get these stereotypes in their heads to be honest. THere are alot of people from my church that aren't 'stick in the muds'...lol then again I can also name a few that tend to be at times! HEY we are all custom!

To me we all reach different people, because we are different people! Its like that gentleman from the festival! Who is he more likely to listen to when you speak about Jesus....that stereotype he has in his mind of 'stick in the mudd'...or someone similiar to the approach I had with him! Everyone is different! We all have our place, and all have our approaches! It may not work on all, but all we do have our audiences also!

I havent thought about him in a long time! He was a nice man. I remember my partner saying to me as he walked away, "Well we straighten him out about us 'church goers' didn't we" and then she laughed!

Maybe its one of those situations where you have to be there!
                              Quote by Nancy Edwards that moved me.
                              • Jesus is good and pure; our motives are always mixed.
                              • Jesus speaks words of life; we speak words that protect our own sense of reality.
                              • Jesus loves sinners and judges sin; we judge sinners and ignore sin.
                              • Jesus is wise; we are dogmatic.
                              • Jesus sees peopleís hearts; we see their defenses.
                              • Jesus is very attractive to needy people; we are often the last place they would come.

Comment

Working...
                              X