Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evidence for Satan not being an allegory/symbol?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Evidence for Satan not being an allegory/symbol?

    Hi folks
    Open question, prompted by another thread.

    If you were asked to give 1 Bible verse as evidence for Satan not being an allegory/symbol, but being a literal-historical supernatural being which verse would it be?

    God bless
    Steven

  • #2
    Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
    Hi folks
    Open question, prompted by another thread.

    If you were asked to give 1 Bible verse as evidence for Satan not being an allegory/symbol, but being a literal-historical supernatural being which verse would it be?

    God bless
    Steven
    I would laugh and ask them to be serious. There are 23 direct references to Satan and the Bible, front to rear, is full of indirect references. If Satan is an allegory, the entire Bible is a lie. The truth of the matter is that the Bible has stood the test of time by having never failed in these last two thousand years of continual attack on all fronts. Not one error has been found after 20 centuries of examination by the worlds most educated and devoted detractors.

    Satan is real!

    Comment


    • #3
      Probably the following verse where 1) God has a verbal conversation with Satan, and 2) Satan says that he has been "walking".

      Job 2:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

      From that verse there is no denying that Satan is a real person, the ultimate test is whether you believe what the text says?
      - Matt -
      .
      Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
      of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

      Comment


      • #4
        And he led Him up and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
        6 And the devil said to Him, "I will give You all this domain and it glory; for it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish.
        7 "Therefore if You worship[4][Or bow down before ] before me, it shall all be Yours."
        8 Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY.' "
        .................................................. ...
        And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

        Comment


        • #5
          And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Rev 12:9 KJV)


          Comment


          • #6
            Luke 22

            31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
            Jer 6:16a
            Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

            I've started a blog
            http://exwitch.ancientcrossroads.org

            Comment


            • #7
              If Jesus is real, then Satan is real, because he tempted Jesus:

              "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matthew 9:10

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
                Hi folks
                Open question, prompted by another thread.

                If you were asked to give 1 Bible verse as evidence for Satan not being an allegory/symbol, but being a literal-historical supernatural being which verse would it be?

                God bless
                Steven
                I tend to believe that it is both. Some references to satan/the devil are, I believe, directly referring to the fallen nature of man, other times to actual being/s of the spiritual realm. The only ones listed above that I particularly feel strongly are the latter, are the references to Jesus' tempation.
                Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi Steven,

                  Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
                  If you were asked to give 1 Bible verse as evidence for Satan not being an allegory/symbol, but being a literal-historical supernatural being which verse would it be?
                  Luke 10:18 And He [Jesus] said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.
                  Love In Christ,
                  Tanya






                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another reference:

                    Jude 1:9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"


                    Though I'm not trying to give you evidence, frankly. This, along with the Jesus' temptation passages (and some others that could certainly go either way), are simply the passages that make me think it's not so cut and dried as to say that satan/devil are ONLY allegorical/symbolic.

                    [Edit: I should also say that some of the "demon" passages, which I find impossible to look at as allegorical/symbolic, convince me that there are literal spiritual beings in the realm of darkness. It makes sense to me to believe that, since there are demons, there is likely some type of hierarchy involved, and a "lead" demon. Could be wrong. These are just my thoughts.]
                    Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                      If Jesus is real, then Satan is real, because he tempted Jesus:

                      "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matthew 9:10

                      I wonder if Satan was visible to Jesus during the temptation? Like was Satan tempting him in his mind, or was Jesus standing face to face with some sort of physical manifestation of Satan?

                      "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Semi-tortured View Post
                        I wonder if Satan was visible to Jesus during the temptation? Like was Satan tempting him in his mind, or was Jesus standing face to face with some sort of physical manifestation of Satan?
                        Satan was described as having a one-on-one conversation with Jesus. Might be a little weird when Jesus is hanging out with John and Peter one day and they ask Him about His time before His ministry and He replies "Well, you see, guys, I went out into the wilderness and I had a conversation in My brain!"

                        It probably wasn't that Satan appeared in a physical, tangible body to Jesus... think of when an angel appeared to Ezekiel by the river. Only Ezekiel could see him, even though there were other people nearby. It could easily have been the same case for Satan.
                        To This Day

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by markedward View Post
                          Satan was described as having a one-on-one conversation with Jesus. Might be a little weird when Jesus is hanging out with John and Peter one day and they ask Him about His time before His ministry and He replies "Well, you see, guys, I went out into the wilderness and I had a conversation in My brain!"

                          It probably wasn't that Satan appeared in a physical, tangible body to Jesus... think of when an angel appeared to Ezekiel by the river. Only Ezekiel could see him, even though there were other people nearby. It could easily have been the same case for Satan.
                          Imagine being face to face with the evilest creature to ever be.

                          For Jesus to stand up to that so resoundingly...wow.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Semi-tortured View Post
                            Imagine being face to face with the evilest creature to ever be.

                            For Jesus to stand up to that so resoundingly...wow.
                            Well being God and all, it probably was not too big of a deal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rchivers View Post
                              Well being God and all, it probably was not too big of a deal.

                              Still, He was in human flesh.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X