Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psalm 1

KJV
    PS 1:1 Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
    PS 1:2 But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

PS 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

PS 1:4 The ungodly [are] not so: but [are] like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

PS 1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

PS 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

NIV
    PS 1:1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.

PS 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

PS 1:3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

PS 1:4 Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away.

PS 1:5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

PS 1:6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.

Jewish publication society 1917

1:1 HAPPY IS the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the wicked, nor stood in the way of sinners, nor sat in the seat of the scornful.

1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.

1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by streams of water, that bringeth forth its fruit in its season, and whose leaf doth not wither; and in whatsoever he doeth he shall prosper.

1:4 Not so the wicked; but they are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

1:5 Therefore the wicked shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

1:6 For the LORD regardeth the way of the righteous; but the way of the wicked shall perish.

The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

v1. To be blessed and happy to me means, to be very liked by somebody else, in this case by G_d, because we do not fall prey to "Peer pressure". Which includes not to be with the "in group" if they are G_d mockers... do not fall prey to gossip and spreading 'stories' about others..

v2. G_d takes pleasure in seeing us enjoying reading the scriptures without growing tired to do so.

v3. Like a planting of the L_rd........(in the garden of Eden,) bearing spiritual fruit in and out of season.... always pleasing G_d, and reflecting His glory in all that we do......that is why it is/will be well with us

v4-5. If you walk in disobedience to G_d, it does not go well with you, sin tears your life into tatters and you'll have no place after judgement day !!

v6. Sinners are lost in their sin, but for those who love the L_rd receive instruction on daily living.
    The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    -Holley Gerth

Comment

Chuck Smith Study Guide
      for Psalms

Introduction
      A psalm is a hymn of praise to God. The Book of Psalms was originally the hymn book for Israel. The Psalms are a classic example of Hebrew poetry which, unlike English poetry made of rhyme and rhythm, consists of parallel or contrasting ideas. Many of the psalms are known as acrostics because each verse begins with a succeeding letter of the Hebrew alphabet (for example, Psalm 119).

David, who authored many of the psalms, was considered a prophet, because many of the psalms contain prophecies about the Messiah. These predictions were direct references to Jesus Christ.

Some psalms were also written by Asaph and Moses. The entire collection of 150 psalms is divided into five smaller books: Psalms 1-41, 42-72, 73-89, 90-106, 107-150.

----------------------------

First Book of Psalms
      PSALM 1: The contrast of the godly and the ungodly man.

v.1 "Blessed" in Hebrew means "Oh, how happy!" This verse marks the progression of the ungodly man: walking, standing, and sitting with the unrighteous.

v.2 The happy man meditates on the Law of the Lord.

v.3 This is the result of v.2. We should bring forth fruit (John 15:8), and our fruit should be lasting (John 15:16).

v.4-6 Here is the contrast to v.3. The way of the wicked will perish.

--------------------------------------
      Blest is he who loves God's precepts,
      Who from sin restraints his feet,
      He who will not stand with sinners,
      He who shuns the scorners' seat.

Blest is he who makes the statutes
      Of the Lord his chief delight,
      In God's law, divinely perfect,
      Meditating day and night.

He is like a tree well planted
      By the flowing river's side,
      Ever green of leaf and fruitful:
      Thus shall all his works abide.

Like the driven chaff the wicked
      Shall be swept from off the land
      With the just they shall not gather,
      Nor shall in the judgment stand.

Well the Lord will guard the righteous,
      For their way to Him is known;
      But the way of evildoers
      Shall by Him be overthrown.

Words: The Psalter Hymnal, 1927.
      GOD bless you!!!

Comment

Condensed version:

Wow!!! The child of G-d gets SAVED!!
        The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
        God plants in our hearts
        to remind us
        -Holley Gerth

Comment

The first is one of my favorites. The imagery of being refreshed by dwelling on the Word of God, being fed, watered and strengthened continually is so vivid and so true to the actual experience. I'm refreshed just by reading how refreshed I'll be!

Then the stark contrast between the lush, green tree deeply rooted, and the dried, crackling, brown chaff blown away with the wind.

In the Lord is life, continually infused, watered and renewed; beautiful and abundant. Without Him is emptiness, withering and death.

And then there's eternity!!!
          Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will

Comment

I moved this comment to the PSALMS thread So that we have the 'break~up' all together, and not mixed up ..... Here
            Last edited by Ta-An; Nov 22nd 2003, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I like ACCM's condensed version. I think that is pretty cut n dry.

Psalms is such a poetic book......I think I will truely enjoy this experience you have laid out ACCM.....Thank You!
              GOD bless you!!!

Comment

From App. 63 vi.
                VI. THE BEATITUDES IN THE PSALMS.

"The word rendered "blessed" in the "Beatitudes" is not always "barak," to bless; but 'ashrey, happinesses. Its first occurrence is Deuteronomy 33:29. It is the plural of majesty or accumulation, and means "O the happinesses", or, "O the great happinesses", or, "O How happy".

'Ashrey occurs twenty-six times in the book of Psalms. It is translated "blessed" nineteen times, and "happy" seven times. In the list below, these latter are marked with an asterisk (*).

The following is the complete list:

Psalms 1:1; 2:12; 32:1,2; 33:12; 34:8; 40:4; 41:1; 65:4; 84:4, 5, 12; 89:15; 94:12; 106:3; 112:1; 119:1, 2; 127:5*; 128:1,2*; 137:8*,9*; 144:15*,15*; 146:5*.

The word is distributed in five books of the Psalms as follows: Book I, eight times; Book II, once; Book III, four times; Book IV, twice; Book V, eleven times; making twenty-six in all."

Psalm 1. MAN BLESSED. THE LAW OF YAHOVEH HIS DELIGHT.

(Psa 1:1) Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

ungodly = lawless, Heb rasha'. This may lead one to think of the "lawless one" (2 Thess. 2:4), who will come up in the second division (Psa. 9-15).

(Psa 1:5) Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

stand = rise. Spiritually, they have no part in the first resurrestion. Rev. 20:5, 6. Cp. Psa 49:14.

Otherwise, this Psalms appears pretty cut-n-dry. Not much else to expound on. It seems to fall along the lines of the two paths presented here:

(Mat 7:13-14) Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: {14} Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The two ways being given to us here:

(Deu 30:15) See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;

Comment

All blessing bound up in obedience (cp. 1:1 with Gen 1:28).
                  Obedience is man’s “tree of life” (cp. 1:3 with Gen. 2:16).

JOSH 1:8 "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.( cp.PS 1:2)..... Obeying G_d's command, results in Pleasing G_d, JOY ~ as a fruit of the Holy Spirit. AND Blessings

The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
                  God plants in our hearts
                  to remind us
                  -Holley Gerth

Comment

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 16:19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all [men]. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Rom 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

1Cr 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

2Cr 7:15 And his inward affection is more abundant toward you, whilst he remembereth the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling ye received him.

2Cr 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

2Cr 10:6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Phm 1:21 Having confidence in thy obedience I wrote unto thee, knowing that thou wilt also do more than I say.

Hbr 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
                    GOD bless you!!!

Comment

How about the NET?

Sometimes the NET Bible is quite dynamic & impactful, really capturing the thought of the Hebrew. Her's Psalms 1 in the NET:

How happy is the one who does not follow the advice of the wicked,
                      or stand in the pathway with sinners,
                      or sit in the assembly of arrogant fools!
                      1:2 Instead he finds pleasure in obeying the Lord's commands;
                      he intently studies his commands day and night.
                      1:3 He is like a tree planted by flowing streams;
                      it yields its fruit at the proper time,
                      and its leaves never fall off.
                      He succeeds in everything he attempts.
                      1:4 Not so with the wicked!
                      Instead they are like wind-driven chaff.
                      1:5 For this reason the wicked cannot withstand judgment,
                      nor can sinners join the assembly of the godly.
                      1:6 Certainly the Lord rewards the behavior of the godly,
                      but the behavior of the wicked is self-destructive.
                      3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Comment

For those of you who missed this............

Bump!!
                        The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
                        God plants in our hearts
                        to remind us
                        -Holley Gerth

Comment

This is absolutely one of my favorite passages from the Bible:

1:1 ¶ Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
                          2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
                          3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
                          We should all nail this to our front doors to see as we walk out into the world each morning. We need to remember that though our feet walk surrounded by the physical world, our spiritual tree can be planted by rivers of water, and we shall prosper in all we do.

[CENTER][SIZE=2]A FEW MINUTES WITH SOMEONE WHO LOVES YOU

Comment

Amen!! I love the Psalms! And you are so right, this first one should be pasted to our front doors! Here it is in the Message Paraphrase. In addition to the other translations, it just helps to illuminate things.

Psalm 1
                            1How well God must like you--you don't hang out at Sin Saloon,
                            you don't slink along Dead-End Road,
                            you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.

2Instead you thrill to GOD's Word,
                            you chew on Scripture day and night.
                            3You're a tree replanted in Eden,
                            bearing fresh fruit every month,
                            Never dropping a leaf,
                            always in blossom.

4You're not at all like the wicked,
                            who are mere windblown dust--
                            5Without defense in court,
                            unfit company for innocent people.

6GOD charts the road you take.
                            The road they take is Skid Row.
                            I've been gone a long time. Been thru a lot....am a mess.

Comment

Verse 5 actually refers to the Judgment day when the Book of Life will be opened... I never really realized that before, that that is what this verse meant
                              The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
                              God plants in our hearts
                              to remind us
                              -Holley Gerth

Comment

Working...
                              X