Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Testament Giving

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Testament Giving

    Okay... there is some ado about tithing and New Testament giving. So figure this is Bible Chat and a great place to actually talk about BIBLICAL giving.

    Here is the biggest disagreement that folks have. TITHE. To tithe or not to tithe... that is the question!

    We all know that we aren't under the Law of Moses now... or should know. So where does tithing come into play? And if not tithing then how are we to give. YES WE ALL KNOW that we need to give cheerfully. So let's all agree on that and not waste a bunch of post talking about giving cheerfully. Let's go deeper than that because honestly... deeper than that is where the answer lies I believe.

    So make your case... rest assured that I'll make mine.


    Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

    A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

    GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!


  • #2
    Because the word tithe does not appear in the New Testament, I do not look at it as a command. However, there are clearly some principles for giving that are clear in the NT - 1st Corinthians 16, for instance.

    I look at tithing as a guideline, but I don't take it too literally. And what I mean by that is that I refuse to get nit picky about whether I ought to tithe on my gross income, or net taxable income, or adjusted gross income, or whatever such nonsense would derail me.

    I give to be a blessing. I give generously. I give because God has asked me to. I give because it helps people in need. I give because it contributes to the ongoing mission of the Kingdom of God. I give because I want to, not because I'm afraid to not tithe.

    That's a start.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
      Okay... there is some ado about tithing and New Testament giving. So figure this is Bible Chat and a great place to actually talk about BIBLICAL giving.

      Here is the biggest disagreement that folks have. TITHE. To tithe or not to tithe... that is the question!

      We all know that we aren't under the Law of Moses now... or should know. So where does tithing come into play? And if not tithing then how are we to give. YES WE ALL KNOW that we need to give cheerfully. So let's all agree on that and not waste a bunch of post talking about giving cheerfully. Let's go deeper than that because honestly... deeper than that is where the answer lies I believe.

      So make your case... rest assured that I'll make mine.
      I would say it's a good idea to just ask the Lord what He would have us to give. If He can lead us in ministry, lead us in our workplace, etc. . . I'd say we should allow Him to lead us in what He would have us give as well. Just my opinion.
      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

      -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

      Comment


      • #4
        Christ the Tithe

        Tithe means the Tenth
        There is no difference between firstborn, firstling, first-fruit and tithes
        • Firstborn is the first offspring of people
        • Firstling is the first offspring of animals
        • First-fruit is the first offspring of the land
        First mention: Genesis 4: 3 – 7:
        • Where did Cain and Abel learn to bring an offering? Did Adam teach them?
        • Cain knew how to bring an acceptable offering unto the Lord (vv.7)
        • God accepted Abel’s offering for he brought the firstlings of his flock and their fats thereof
        In the beginning, men were hunters, gatherers and farmers, so they brought their first-fruits and firstlings unto the Lord. But later, more of them became traders and so the firstlings and the first-fruits were substituted with the tenth.

        A PARADIGM SHIFT – Romans 8:29: CHRIST IS THE TITHE

        WHEN THE WORD OF GOD (Christ Jesus) ENTERS US, HE TRANSFORMS US AND CAUSES US TO CONFORM TO THE IMAGE OF CHRIST. WHERE NOW, WE BECOME THE 'CHURCH OF THE FIRSTBORN' (HEBREWS 12:23), WHERE WE OURSELVES ARE TITHE UNTO THE LORD.

        THE INWARD ALWAYS PRODUCES THE OUTWARD!
        sigpicLife! Just Live It!
        http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
          Tithe means the Tenth
          There is no difference between firstborn, firstling, first-fruit and tithes
          • Firstborn is the first offspring of people
          • Firstling is the first offspring of animals
          • First-fruit is the first offspring of the land
          First mention: Genesis 4: 3 – 7:
          • Where did Cain and Abel learn to bring an offering? Did Adam teach them?
          • Cain knew how to bring an acceptable offering unto the Lord (vv.7)
          • God accepted Abel’s offering for he brought the firstlings of his flock and their fats thereof
          In the beginning, men were hunters, gatherers and farmers, so they brought their first-fruits and firstlings unto the Lord. But later, more of them became traders and so the firstlings and the first-fruits were substituted with the tenth.

          A PARADIGM SHIFT – Romans 8:29: CHRIST IS THE TITHE

          WHEN THE WORD OF GOD (Christ Jesus) ENTERS US, HE TRANSFORMS US AND CAUSES US TO CONFORM TO THE IMAGE OF CHRIST. WHERE NOW, WE BECOME THE 'CHURCH OF THE FIRSTBORN' (HEBREWS 12:23), WHERE WE OURSELVES ARE TITHE UNTO THE LORD.


          THE INWARD ALWAYS PRODUCES THE OUTWARD!
          And you said all that to say what exactly?

          Are you saying that our works are our tithe or offering?
          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

          -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
            THE INWARD ALWAYS PRODUCES THE OUTWARD!
            This is very true!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jeffreys View Post
              Because the word tithe does not appear in the New Testament, I do not look at it as a command. However, there are clearly some principles for giving that are clear in the NT - 1st Corinthians 16, for instance.

              I look at tithing as a guideline, but I don't take it too literally. And what I mean by that is that I refuse to get nit picky about whether I ought to tithe on my gross income, or net taxable income, or adjusted gross income, or whatever such nonsense would derail me.

              I give to be a blessing. I give generously. I give because God has asked me to. I give because it helps people in need. I give because it contributes to the ongoing mission of the Kingdom of God. I give because I want to, not because I'm afraid to not tithe.

              That's a start.
              Great answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
                Tithe means the Tenth
                There is no difference between firstborn, firstling, first-fruit and tithes
                • Firstborn is the first offspring of people
                • Firstling is the first offspring of animals
                • First-fruit is the first offspring of the land
                First mention: Genesis 4: 3 – 7:
                • Where did Cain and Abel learn to bring an offering? Did Adam teach them?
                • Cain knew how to bring an acceptable offering unto the Lord (vv.7)
                • God accepted Abel’s offering for he brought the firstlings of his flock and their fats thereof
                In the beginning, men were hunters, gatherers and farmers, so they brought their first-fruits and firstlings unto the Lord. But later, more of them became traders and so the firstlings and the first-fruits were substituted with the tenth.

                A PARADIGM SHIFT – Romans 8:29: CHRIST IS THE TITHE

                WHEN THE WORD OF GOD (Christ Jesus) ENTERS US, HE TRANSFORMS US AND CAUSES US TO CONFORM TO THE IMAGE OF CHRIST. WHERE NOW, WE BECOME THE 'CHURCH OF THE FIRSTBORN' (HEBREWS 12:23), WHERE WE OURSELVES ARE TITHE UNTO THE LORD.

                THE INWARD ALWAYS PRODUCES THE OUTWARD!
                Okay... and what has that to do with giving?


                Visit our new website
                ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

                A.W. Tozer said,
                "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

                GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                  Okay... and what has that to do with giving?
                  Okay, good! I thought I was the only one here that doesn't speak Christianese.
                  "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                  -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                    And you said all that to say what exactly?

                    Are you saying that our works are our tithe or offering?
                    Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                    Okay... and what has that to do with giving?
                    Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                    Okay, good! I thought I was the only one here that doesn't speak Christianese.
                    I am surprised you would find "the inward will produce the outward" to be 'christianese'...

                    Since now, we ourselves are the 'tithe' unto the Lord because of Christ, everything that we have is His. And because everything is His, we give from whatever is already His, as we are prompted by the Holy Spirit.
                    sigpicLife! Just Live It!
                    http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
                      I am surprised you would find "the inward will produce the outward" to be 'christianese'...

                      Since now, we ourselves are the 'tithe' unto the Lord because of Christ, everything that we have is His. And because everything is His, we give from whatever is already His, as we are prompted by the Holy Spirit.
                      So, in other words, just give as the Holy Spirit leads.




                      I had to have the Holy Spirit lead me into all truth on that one. Good gravy!
                      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                      -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                        Okay, good! I thought I was the only one here that doesn't speak Christianese.
                        I give this a shot.

                        Those who give up their life for Christ as Christ gave his life up for us, will be saved.

                        Those who think that giving 10% of their income to somebody else, as some sort of justification and payment to an organization they have laid the responsibility on of leading them and/or their families to Christ, are in severe danger of having an eternally damning attitude.

                        Those who take advantage of the guilt and sever misunderstanding of those people, and think they need those peoples money, because it helps their organization better lead people to Christ are in severe danger of having an eternally damning attitude, as they have no idea what it takes to lead somebody to Christ.

                        IMO, The "tithe", "money offering", whatever you want to call it, is the biggest reciprocal/co-dependent stumbling block that plagues the Body of Christ today.

                        No amount of money will buy heaven! No amount of money will help lead people to Christ.

                        The real issue with the "substitute tithe" is a modern day, severe misunderstanding of what it means to be led to Christ, and what it takes to lead people to Christ. How we are to fellowship with each other, and gather in a Godly way, to teach each other about living Godly lives, is completely being gone about in a wrong way.

                        IMO, How the tithe is used today is filled with nothing but excuses and feel good justifications, and there is nothing biblical about it.

                        So I ask a little question here. What if everyone was asked to no longer give money, and all cash money offerings were rejected? What would happen?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Serve-N-Protect View Post
                          So I ask a little question here. What if everyone was asked to no longer give money, and all cash money offerings were rejected? What would happen?
                          TBN would go out of business.
                          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                          -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                            TBN would go out of business.
                            Where would people find God then?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Serve-N-Protect View Post
                              Where would people find God then?

                              Well, there is always INSP . . .

                              In all seriousness, I don't think this is going in the direction intended. So I'm going to wait and see what PP and others have to say on the topic.
                              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                              -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X