What is Preterism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Preterism?

What is Preterism about? is it biblecal? i have not seen it in the bible.

Peter

I've never heard of it, so I am curious as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterJ View Post

Peter
      (Praeterist, preterist) Preterism identifies Christians who believe that most or all of Bible Prophecy has already been fulfilled in Christ, by 70 A.D., or the on-going expansion of His Kingdom. The word Preterit is Latin and means Pre (before) in fulfillment. i.e., [L. praeteritus, gone by]. It is expressing time fulfilled. It is the doctrine of Past-fulfillment of most of the prophesy of scripture.

Is it biblical? Not according to my understanding of Scripture.

Many Blessings,
      RW

Comment

Peter
        There is a wonderful thread on this topic under controversial issues.

Check out that forum and read the posts on full preterism.
        http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=100861

God Bless,
        Alaina

Comment

Actually, there are some very legitimate points made by the Preterist school of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
            (Praeterist, preterist) Preterism identifies Christians who believe that most or all of Bible Prophecy has already been fulfilled in Christ, by 70 A.D., or the on-going expansion of His Kingdom. The word Preterit is Latin and means Pre (before) in fulfillment. i.e., [L. praeteritus, gone by]. It is expressing time fulfilled. It is the doctrine of Past-fulfillment of most of the prophesy of scripture.

Many Blessings,
            RW
            So why do christains use it?

Comment

So why do christains use it?
              I believe, like Pastor Jeffreys has already stated that there are some good points made by ((partial)) preterist. For instance I agree with the belief that much of the prophesy spoken by Christ was fulfilled in 70 AD, i.e. the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple. The full preterist however goes to far when they attempt to prove that Christ Second Coming was literally fulfilled in this same time, only His coming was spiritual. The preterist must spiritualize much of prophesy to prove that ALL of prophesy was fulfilled at Christ's coming, and the destruction in 70 AD.

There are some drawn to this doctrine for the same reason any of us are drawn to false doctrine in my opinion. The preterist, in an attempt to explain the nearness of His coming insists it had to have happened in the near future, and not some 2000 years into the future. What they fail to understand is that the nearness of His coming was fulfilled when He literally established His kingdom (church) at His first appearance.

I hope I haven't caused more confusion, I have been deliberately vague because full preterism (I believe) is not a doctrine that may be argued in this community.

Many Blessings,
              RW

Comment

Hey PeterJ

You asked a good question b/c the word is used in a few different ways.

1) In the first sense, all Christians are part preterist because we ALL interpret some prophecies as having been fulfilled in the past. In fact, MOST Christians interpret MOST prophecies as already fulfilled since MOST prophecies were about the 1st Coming of the Messiah. So, in a broad sense, we are ALL 'partial preterists'

2) The second sense of the term is more specific. There are many, well within orthodoxy and 'forum rules' who believe most or all of OT prophecy was fulfilled by the 1st century AND the Olivet Discourse (matthew 24, mark 13, Luke 21) was fulfilled by the 1st century ('that generation') AND (for many but not all of these preterists) that Revelation is essentially a symbolic version OF the olivet discourse (in which case, they tend to believe Revelation 1:1 - 20:6 is either fulfilled or in process while 20:7 through the end is still future. These preterists believe in a future Judgment Day, 2nd Coming, New Heavens & Earth.

3) The third sense is potentially outside of orthodoxy (since it goes against many of the creeds) and is, as far as I understand, outside of board rules. This type of preterist believes ALL prophecy (OT & NT) is fullfilled. Jesus already came again, just not the way many expected. We ARE the new creation.

Usually, to gain clarification, words are attached to 'preterist' so that others know what kind of preterist they're talking to. For example:

partial preterist: Usually refers to #2
                orthodox preterist: #2
                hyper-preterist: #3
                neo-HymenŠan: #3

So anytime you run into someone saying they are a preterist, try to figure out if they are a type #2 or type #3. It's quite a difference.
                The Matthew Never Knew
                The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Many Blessings,
                  RW
                  Thank you for clarifying "not according to my understanding of Scripture." I appreciate that honesty so much, and it's often missing when people discuss end times issues.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew94 View Post
                    Hey PeterJ

1) In the first sense, all Christians are part preterist because we ALL interpret some prophecies as having been fulfilled in the past. In fact, MOST Christians interpret MOST prophecies as already fulfilled since MOST prophecies were about the 1st Coming of the Messiah. So, in a broad sense, we are ALL 'partial preterists'

2) The second sense of the term is more specific. There are many, well within orthodoxy and 'forum rules' who believe most or all of OT prophecy was fulfilled by the 1st century AND the Olivet Discourse (matthew 24, mark 13, Luke 21) was fulfilled by the 1st century ('that generation') AND (for many but not all of these preterists) that Revelation is essentially a symbolic version OF the olivet discourse (in which case, they tend to believe Revelation 1:1 - 20:6 is either fulfilled or in process while 20:7 through the end is still future. These preterists believe in a future Judgment Day, 2nd Coming, New Heavens & Earth.

3) The third sense is potentially outside of orthodoxy (since it goes against many of the creeds) and is, as far as I understand, outside of board rules. This type of preterist believes ALL prophecy (OT & NT) is fullfilled. Jesus already came again, just not the way many expected. We ARE the new creation.

Usually, to gain clarification, words are attached to 'preterist' so that others know what kind of preterist they're talking to. For example:

So anytime you run into someone saying they are a preterist, try to figure out if they are a type #2 or type #3. It's quite a difference.
                    I love your explanation, Matthew. Including handy chart.

I started life a partial preterest, but the further in life I get, the more partial I get...

Seriously, I began in little steps. Edging back some verses in Revalation, a few verses in Joel, one or two in Matthew... I'm still not to the point of being to where you could call me a #1 on the list, but I'm no longer sitting in #2 on his list.

PeterJ: Preterism is just a word for a way of interpreting scripture. Like calling a man a Calvinist or an Armenian.
                    One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father over us all.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew94 View Post
                      Hey PeterJ

That is well stated. Wonderful! Thank you.

One of the points that really bothers me, is that some people completely and totally ignore the obvious physical fulfillment of prophecies in favor of some future fulfillment. For example, the Valley of Dry Bones, spoken of in Ezekiel. That prophecy had its literal, physical fulfillment shortly after it was uttered, when the Israelites returned from exile. That was its first fulfillment, so let's not ignore it! Beyond that, well... that's where the questions begin!

The real question, as I see it, boils down to two things;
                      1. Can there be more than one fulfillment to any given prophecy?
                      2. Can a prophecy be fulfilled both physically and/or literally and/or symbolically and/or allegorically.

THAT is where the waters of prophecy become VERY muddy. Unfortunately, Christians tend to argue and divide over issues - such as this - that we should not argue and divide over!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreys View Post
                        That is well stated. Wonderful! Thank you.

One of the points that really bothers me, is that some people completely and totally ignore the obvious physical fulfillment of prophecies in favor of some future fulfillment. For example, the Valley of Dry Bones, spoken of in Ezekiel. That prophecy had its literal, physical fulfillment shortly after it was uttered, when the Israelites returned from exile. That was its first fulfillment, so let's not ignore it! Beyond that, well... that's where the questions begin!

The real question, as I see it, boils down to two things;
                        1. Can there be more than one fulfillment to any given prophecy?
                        2. Can a prophecy be fulfilled both physically and/or literally and/or symbolically and/or allegorically.

THAT is where the waters of prophecy become VERY muddy. Unfortunately, Christians tend to argue and divide over issues - such as this - that we should not argue and divide over!
                        Greetings Pastor Jeffreys,

I think the question I am prompted to ask is, were the prophecies concerning His first coming fulfilled literally/physically, or spiritually/symbolically/allegorically? If physically, what would cause me to believe His Second Coming will be anything less then literal/physical?

I am also prompted to point out the extraordinary history that existed at His first advent. That time in human history was like a time that will never again exist. You have two covenants, almost two worlds, or ages coming together for a very short time that can almost be likened to two worlds colliding.

Sometimes Christ addressed specifically those under the old covenanat, sometimes only those under the new covenant, and sometimes He addresses both at the same time. I think our responsibility is to try to discern which He spoke to at any given address. For instance when Christ addresses "this generation" is He speaking of the generation under the old covenant, or is He speaking of the kingdom generation, or the generation under the new covenant? Or, I suppose another way of putting it, when is Christ speaking to the physical generation, and when is He speaking to the spiritual generation?

Many Blessings,
                        RW

Comment

Greetings Pastor Jeffreys,

I think the question I am prompted to ask is, were the prophecies concerning His first coming fulfilled literally/physically, or spiritually/symbolically/allegorically? If physically, what would cause me to believe His Second Coming will be anything less then literal/physical?

I am also prompted to point out the extraordinary history that existed at His first advent. That time in human history was like a time that will never again exist. You have two covenants, almost two worlds, or ages coming together for a very short time that can almost be likened to two worlds colliding.

Sometimes Christ addressed specifically those under the old covenanat, sometimes only those under the new covenant, and sometimes He addresses both at the same time. I think our responsibility is to try to discern which He spoke to at any given address. For instance when Christ addresses "this generation" is He speaking of the generation under the old covenant, or is He speaking of the kingdom generation, or the generation under the new covenant? Or, I suppose another way of putting it, when is Christ speaking to the physical generation, and when is He speaking to the spiritual generation?

Many Blessings,
                          RW
                          Oh yeah, you hit the nail on the head there!

Here's what I've found through my studies and experience... Just about the time I think I've got it figured out, something comes along that makes me admit that maybe I'm just not as smart as I thought I was.

Some prophecies, and their fulfillment, are pretty obvious. Then there are others, like pretty much the entire 24th chapter of Matthew, that have me scratching my head & thinking, "Good golly..."

Comment

Working...
                          X