Romans study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romans study

Debra R and I were talking about 'peace', especially in work situations. After thinking of how to better manage handling work situations, we decided to do a study of Romans here. I've personally not done so well with God's commandments in chapter 12 at my stressful job lately. I had a 'strong reminder' yesterday that I need to depend on Him more than I have the last few months. A study focusing on His wonderful grace will enable me/us to rely more on the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 5:1-5
    1Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.
    3And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;
    4and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;
    5and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

So I'm excited to start this study; we welcome all of you who would like to join us!
    You sure don't have to work outside the home either, just to clarify!

I hope by tomorrow evening to get started.
    9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

PRAYERS FOR MIEKE AND CHARLES

Excellent idea! I am in the midst of starting a new career and the learning curve is shattering my peace and my confidence so I would love to join in with you.

"tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character"

Boy, do I ever need to be reminded of that!!

Comment

Yeah Laura!

Good to see you SetFree!

I am excited about this study!

It is hard to keep from being anxious or upset about situations we find ourselves in. Especially the work place. Just trying to remain calm and at peace when you're faced with some impossible co-workers . Or impossible timetables! Lord have mercy!

It is no fun being stressed! And we shouldn't have to be. I want to be able to rely more on Jesus, on the power of the Holy Spirit. To have His peace upon me continually. He has promised us peace. So we are going to study and find how to get it and keep it and not let the actions of others take it away from us.

Love you my sisters!
      The Journal of my grandson Nathaniel's courageous battle with cancer.........

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/input...nathanielemily

Revelation 21:4) And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum53 View Post
        Debra R and I were talking about 'peace', especially in work situations. After thinking of how to better manage handling work situations, we decided to do a study of Romans here. I've personally not done so well with God's commandments in chapter 12 at my stressful job lately. I had a 'strong reminder' yesterday that I need to depend on Him more than I have the last few months. A study focusing on His wonderful grace will enable me/us to rely more on the power of the Holy Spirit.

1Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.
        3And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;
        5and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

So I'm excited to start this study; we welcome all of you who would like to join us!
        You sure don't have to work outside the home either, just to clarify!

I hope by tomorrow evening to get started.
        In verse 1 (we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ) I am reminded of Isaiah, this from the Amplified Bible....
        Isaiah 53:5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole.

And Jesus said in John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

And we can overcome with Him by our side.

Revelation 21:4) And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Comment

I'd love to join in this, I just read Romans, again and am still up in the air about quitting mine. I think this would help me out alot.

Comment

Thank you for these verses!

I just want to add that these verses, don't just pertain to work situations, but 'life' situations, in general.
            I'm struggling, being a single mom, while working to provide for us.....and the verses, remind me to continue & have peace & hope that in Him everything will be alright.
            Also, I find, as I continue down this 'road' that He lifts me up & continues to bless me, as I continue to 'stand strong' in Him.

Comment

Hello SetFree and Lyndie!

Hey Debra, hello , thanks for posting already!

I wanted to get a 'plan' by tomorrow for this; my cleaning isn't doing so well today so thought I would just 'wing it' tonight and start.

I'm excited to be here; we can all help one another learn.

Ephesians 4:11-13

11And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
              12for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
              13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Isaiah 9:6 tells us of Gods "covenant of peace" with His people that assures us of a relationship with Jesus who is our peace.

6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
              And the government will rest on His shoulders;
              And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
              Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

And of course this one in Philippians 4
              7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Well we all know we could fill pages about doctrine with peace in it. It occurs in every NT book except John 1.

Malachi 2:6
              6"True instruction was in his mouth and unrighteousness was not found on his lips; he walked with Me in peace and uprightness, and he turned many back from iniquity.

We need to walk with by faith and obedience to enjoy His peace. I know when I'm 'out of' fellowship with Him I sure don't feel His peace.

Ephesians 6:15
              tells us the gospel message is called "the gospel of peace"

14 Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, 15and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE;

Romans teaches us about faith and God's grace; it teaches us the necessity of living in joyful obedience. We can only obey Him by living with the power of His divine grace that has been freely given to us.

I'm a bit slow typing and 'grasping things' so I'm sorry if I let someone out that posted before I was finished here.

Ok before we start verses I thought we could start with the following question.

If you compared your life-style before and after you became a Christian, what changes did Christ make in your life.

9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Comment

Originally posted by HopeFaithLove View Post

I just want to add that these verses, don't just pertain to work situations, but 'life' situations, in general.
                I'm struggling, being a single mom, while working to provide for us.....and the verses, remind me to continue & have peace & hope that in Him everything will be alright.
                Also, I find, as I continue down this 'road' that He lifts me up & continues to bless me, as I continue to 'stand strong' in Him.
                Hi HopeFaithLove!

Oh YES I totally agree, all Jesus' teachings pertain to all our 'life' [[period]]
                I am and have been struggling at work with keeping calm dealing with so much stress and negativity; I want to go home each day making Jesus proud. It's just one area that I have the most trouble with lately and I've been doing worse.

Glad to see you!

Comment

Since I have to stay up and tape the Steelers ..........I'll post few verses.

1Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, 2which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures,
                  3concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh,
                  4who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord, 5through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake,
                  6among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;
                  7to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
                  8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, because your faith is being proclaimed throughout the whole world.
                  9For God, whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, is my witness as to how unceasingly I make mention of you,
                  10always in my prayers making request, if perhaps now at last by the will of God I may succeed in coming to you.
                  11For I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be established;
                  12that is, that I may be encouraged together with you while among you, each of us by the other's faith, both yours and mine.
                  13I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that often I have planned to come to you (and have been prevented so far) so that I may obtain some fruit among you also, even as among the rest of the Gentiles.
                  14I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish.
                  15So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

Verse one... I see....God had 'previous plans' for Paul , of course knowing how he would persecute His church. What a loving and merciful God we have.

Verse 2
                  Paul emphasizes that this Good News didn't start with him. It started with the prophets of the OT; my favorite is Isaiah 53. The Hebrew scriptures have been completed by Jesus Christ.

verses 8-15 show some great leadership [[and all]] qualities for Christians to have, prayer for one another, encouraging each other, thankful for each other

Paul was just so 'dog-gone' in love with Jesus and his enthusiasm was awesome!

I'm too tired to finish...carry on...

Comment

Ephesians 4:11-13
                    11And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
                    12for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
                    13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Isaiah 9:6 tells us of Gods "covenant of peace" with His people that assures us of a relationship with Jesus who is our peace.

6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
                    And the government will rest on His shoulders;
                    And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
                    Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

And of course this one in Philippians 4
                    7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Well we all know we could fill pages about doctrine with peace in it. It occurs in every NT book except John 1.

Malachi 2:6
                    6"True instruction was in his mouth and unrighteousness was not found on his lips; he walked with Me in peace and uprightness, and he turned many back from iniquity.

We need to walk with by faith and obedience to enjoy His peace. I know when I'm 'out of' fellowship with Him I sure don't feel His peace.

Ephesians 6:15 tells us the gospel message is called "the gospel of peace"

14 Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, 15and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE;

Romans teaches us about faith and God's grace; it teaches us the necessity of living in joyful obedience. We can only obey Him by living with the power of His divine grace that has been freely given to us.

I'm a bit slow typing and 'grasping things' so I'm sorry if I let someone out that posted before I was finished here.

If you compared your life-style before and after you became a Christian, what changes did Christ make in your life.

I can tell you right off the bat, peace is something I struggle with daily, for many different reasons. But to answer your question- Before I became a Christian, I was a full blown alcoholic. To make a long story short, I have been delivered from that, praise God. It seemed I had a sort of peace for a while, but never a full secure kind of peace, and I know that comes from my lack of trust in God. I know part of my problem recently is I don't feel I am in God's will, especially with my job, so no peace. I believe faith, peace and joy work in harmony, you can't have one without the other.
                    It also has much to do with understanding grace. I know a few times in the NT, a greeting was "Grace and peace to you..." So they do go together. Not sure how though. Hence the question-What do I do, and what do I let God do? I guess that's all I can contribute for now.

Comment

Hello SetFree and Lyndie!

It is hard to pick out specific changes because as God works in my life, things change gradually as I grow more Christ like. For instance, when I first recommitted my life to Jesus, I was going through my divorce and at that time, all I asked of Him was to get through each day and for provision. Now, I am maturing and seeking His will even more and things are constantly being shown to me that I have to improve on or change and it is so gradual I don't notice the work being done in me, usually, until I look back. That is a pretty rambling answer and it probably makes no sense to anyone but me, lol.

As far as the new verses being posted, I find it really interesting how Paul asked that they reach out to each other and encourage each other because the power of those around you is amazing. In the job change I am currently undergoing, hearing a supportive word or a story of somebody who struggled through the initial months and made it is so inspiring and makes me want to dig in, whereas when I focus on my concerns and the concerns of those in the same place as me, I sink deeper into doubt and discouragement.

Anyway, to make a short story long, surrounding yourself with positive people and uplifting messages can make peace much easier to attain, whenever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndie View Post
                        I can tell you right off the bat, peace is something I struggle with daily, for many different reasons. But to answer your question- Before I became a Christian, I was a full blown alcoholic. To make a long story short, I have been delivered from that, praise God. It seemed I had a sort of peace for a while, but never a full secure kind of peace, and I know that comes from my lack of trust in God. I know part of my problem recently is I don't feel I am in God's will, especially with my job, so no peace. I believe faith, peace and joy work in harmony, you can't have one without the other.
                        It also has much to do with understanding grace. I know a few times in the NT, a greeting was "Grace and peace to you..." So they do go together. Not sure how though. Hence the question-What do I do, and what do I let God do? I guess that's all I can contribute for now.
                        Lyndie ,
                        Wow I think that in itself is a great testimony! How awesome!
                        Trusting perhaps to start, if you can concentrate for a few days on the psalms.

Promise to get back to you on how grace and peace go together. You too Setfree

DH came home and we're going to go eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndie View Post
                          I'd love to join in this, I just read Romans, again and am still up in the air about quitting mine. I think this would help me out alot.

Hi Lyndie , I was ready to quit mine a few weeks ago . I have decided I am going to find a different job at the beginning of the year. I've been there 6 years. I've been through a lot there .
                          And maybe the Lord does want me to move on. I am praying about it.

God bless you

Comment

Originally posted by HopeFaithLove View Post

Definitely! Those verses and the entire Bible tell us how to live our daily lives. The Bible helps us in every aspect of our lives.

I'm sorry you are struggling, I know how hard it can be.

Amen! God bless you

Comment

Before I knew Christ, I didn't like people very much . Didn't trust anyone. I had a very hard heart. I drank a lot. Very selfish. Cursing was like a second language. I didn't like me much either.

Christ changed my heart. He gave me a love for His people. He gave me compassion and mercy. He took the cursing away. He gave me back my selfworth. He gave me dignity. I had always been very shy. I had a hard time talking to people. I'm not so shy anymore .

I think this was a hard question.

Comment

Working...
                              X