Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the "Age of Grace"

Go!

Actually, that message was "too short" - so tell me. What is it. Why do you believe in it. Tell me everything I should know about it. Direct me somewhere you consider appropriate for some good dialogue on it.

Go!

Not sure where this taxi is heading, but since we are in Bible Chat:

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:...

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Originally posted by bing
    Direct me somewhere you consider appropriate for some good dialogue on it.
    This makes me thing you are looking for a specific named doctrine so I don't think I can help you with that. Anyway, where is this taxi going?

God Bless!
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
      Go!

Actually, that message was "too short" - so tell me. What is it. Why do you believe in it. Tell me everything I should know about it. Direct me somewhere you consider appropriate for some good dialogue on it.

Go!
      "Age of Grace" is usually associated with dispensationalism, coupled many times with the thoughts of 'progressive revelation' and 'the church age'.
      "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
      Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
      ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
      Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
      1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
      Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Comment

The age of grace is now. It followed the age of the law.

Not sure where you want to go for further discussion, though.

Comment

I think God has always extended His grace to mankind.

Gen 6:8
          But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Ex 33:12-17
          Then Moses said to the LORD, "See, You say to me, 'Bring up this people.' But You have not let me know whom You will send with me. Yet You have said,'I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight.' 13 Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people."

14 And He said, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

15 Then he said to Him, "If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here. 16 For how then will it be known that Your people and I have found grace in Your sight, except You go with us? So we shall be separate, Your people and I, from all the people who are upon the face of the earth."

17 So the LORD said to Moses,"I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name."
          NKJV

Ezra 9:7-9
          7 Since the days of our fathers to this day we have been very guilty, and for our iniquities we, our kings, and our priests have been delivered into the hand of the kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, to plunder, and to humiliation, as it is this day. 8 And now for a little while grace has been shown from the LORD our God, to leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us a peg in His holy place, that our God may enlighten our eyes and give us a measure of revival in our bondage. 9 For we were slaves. Yet our God did not forsake us in our bondage; but He extended mercy to us in the sight of the kings of Persia, to revive us, to repair the house of our God, to rebuild its ruins, and to give us a wall in Judah and Jerusalem.
          NKJV

Ps 84:11-12
          11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
          The LORD will give grace and glory;
          No good thing will He withhold
          From those who walk uprightly.

12 O LORD of hosts,
          Blessed is the man who trusts in You!
          NKJV

I could go on. I would say that the age of grace began when Adam ate the fruit and God did not kill him. And it continues to this day and will continue forever, even though in the resurrection we will not sin any longer. God's grace is part of His character, and has no age.
          Love In Christ,
          Tanya

Comment

Go!

Go!
            Grace, being an attribute of God, has no age.

Comment

Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts.
              7 'What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of "Grace, grace to it!""'
              And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Existed

Well, it has existed from the time of Adam...
                sigpicLife! Just Live It!
                http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

33 'Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?'
                  34 "And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him.
                  35 "My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart."
                  And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

The dispensational system of understanding the Bible, which makes God's plan for the ages clear, teaches that the Age of Grace is synonomous with the Church Age which begins with the establishment of the church on this earth after Jesus died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ends with the pretribulation Rapture of the church in the near future. This time period is also is called the "times of the Gentiles" in which God has partial blindness to Israel and is dealing with the church instead. God will begin dealing with Israel again during the Tribulation period which is rightly called "the time of Jacob's trouble."

Excerpt from: http://www.biblebelievers.com/Dispen1a.htm
                    The term "dispensation" is found four times in the Scriptures (1 Cor. 9:17; Eph. 1:10, 3:2; Col. 1:25), and each passage makes it clear that God is dispensing something. In Eph. 3:2 it is "grace" itself that is dispensed. God revealed through Paul how He was dispensing His grace to all men by making a free salvation available to them in Jesus Christ. This is contrasted with the Dispensation of the Law where God gave mainly law (though grace can be readily found in every dispensation). Under the Law obedience was demanded, obey the laws and live; break them and die (Gal. 3:10-13). In this Church Age of Grace, however, it is not obey the law but only receive Christ to be saved.
                    It is believed that the Age of Grace is the 'easiest' period in man's timeline in which to be saved, where God has opened the door of salvation to "whosoever" and that it is by God's grace through faith alone and not of works lest any man should boast...but the dispensations before and after it involve an element of faith AND works to be saved.
                    - Matt -
                    Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
                    of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

Go!

Go!
                      www.faithalone.org

BD
                      3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Comment

Originally posted by Soj_NZ View Post

Excerpt from: http://www.biblebelievers.com/Dispen1a.htm[INDENT]The term "dispensation" is found four times in the Scriptures (1 Cor. 9:17; Eph. 1:10, 3:2; Col. 1:25), and each passage makes it clear that God is dispensing something.

The 1 Cor. 9:17 use of the English word "dispensation" = stewardship (Gr. "oikonomos", referring to the 'work of economy').
                        The other scriptures Eph 1:10, 3:2, Col. 1:25 are the Greek word "oikonomia" = economia, which means less strict or less restrictive.

Here is the Wiki on "economy" to further understand the concept being related, as there is "Divine economy" and "ecclesiastical ecomony". The basic meaning of the word is "handling" or disposition" or "management" of a thing -- usually assuming or implying good or prudent handling (as opposed to poor handling) of the matter at hand.
                        Such is why things like Gentiles being circumcised was not strictly adhered to, along with other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Teke View Post
                          The 1 Cor. 9:17 use of the English word "dispensation" = stewardship (Gr. "oikonomos", referring to the 'work of economy').
                          The other scriptures Eph 1:10, 3:2, Col. 1:25 are the Greek word "oikonomia" = economia, which means less strict or less restrictive.

Here is the Wiki on "economy" to further understand the concept being related, as there is "Divine economy" and "ecclesiastical ecomony". The basic meaning of the word is "handling" or disposition" or "management" of a thing -- usually assuming or implying good or prudent handling (as opposed to poor handling) of the matter at hand.
                          Such is why things like Gentiles being circumcised was not strictly adhered to, along with other things.
                          For the common English speaking person who doesn't know the Greek language:

Websters 1828 Dictionary -

DISPENSATION, n. [L. See Dispense.]
                          1. Distribution; the act of dealing out to different persons or places; as the dispensation of water indifferently to all parts of the earth.

2. The dealing of God to his creatures; the distribution of good and evil, natural or moral, in the divine government.
                          - Matt -
                          Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
                          of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

Originally posted by Soj_NZ View Post
                            For the common English speaking person who doesn't know the Greek language:

Websters 1828 Dictionary -

DISPENSATION, n. [L. See Dispense.]
                            1. Distribution; the act of dealing out to different persons or places; as the dispensation of water indifferently to all parts of the earth.

2. The dealing of God to his creatures; the distribution of good and evil, natural or moral, in the divine government.
                            According with Websters

dispensation

Main Entry:
                            dis·pen·sa·tion
                            Pronunciation:
                            \ˌdis-pən-ˈsā-shən, -ˌpen-\
                            Function:
                            noun
                            Date:
                            14th century

1 a: a general state or ordering of things; specifically : a system of revealed commands and promises regulating human affairs b: a particular arrangement or provision especially of providence or nature 2 a: an exemption from a law or from an impediment, vow, or oath b: a formal authorization 3 a: the act of dispensing b: something dispensed or distributed

Comment

Haven't been on bible forums for ages, but here I go.

"Age of Grace" Is a title given to this current dispensation.
                              It doesn't mean that the other ages are graceless, but it's attribute that makes this dispensation more noticeable then other dispensations.

Other names given to this time period:

"Office of the Holy Spirit"
                              "The Age of Mystery"
                              "Dispensation of the Holy Spirit"
                              "The Ushering in of the Gentiles"
                              "Ministerial Timeframe of the Holy Spirit"
                              Nothing more. Nothing less.
                              My faith in Christ is righteousness!
                              Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
                              Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X