X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joyce Myers being probed

I hope I have the links right.
    Post Dispatch has been after Meyers for several years.

Joyce Meyer Ministries is a target of GOP senator's probe
    By Deirdre Shesgreen
    POST-DISPATCH WASHINGTON BUREAU
    11/06/2007

WASHINGTON The top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee has launched a wide-ranging investigation into the financial dealings of six TV evangelists, including Joyce Meyer, the popular preacher who has built a $124-million-a-year empire headquartered in Fenton.

On Monday, Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, asked Meyer to provide his staff with documents detailing the finances of the Joyce Meyer Ministries, including the religious group's compensation to Meyer, her husband and other family members, as well as an accounting of their housing allowances, gifts and credit card statements for the last several years.

You can read the rest of the story here--
    STLtoday - News - Nation

For a 2003 Post Dispatch series of articles about the JMM, read here---
    STLtoday - News - Special Reports
    In Christ,
    Dave

Revelations 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

If they find anything we must always remember that none of us gets away with anything before our God.

Numbers 32:23-"ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out."
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

I tried getting into her a few years ago. I even bought some of her books, which I have since given to my Mom, at my old church. I just realized one day while watching her that there was something off. I hate to get back into the monetary debate, but I just do not trust anyone who makes a living off selling the word of God. There is absolutely no reason why evangelists need to live like "Hollywood Royalty." I simply cannot trust someone who says I will teach you the tools to get into the kingdom of heaven for a nominal fee.

Comment

I wonder who the other five are that are being probed
        Originally posted by Job 34:19
        God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Comment

Wait, this part is really disturbing:

In his five-page letter, Grassley also asked Meyer for:

— A "detailed accounting" of all her and her husband's expense-account items, including clothing and cosmetic surgery.

— Information about any overseas bank accounts and deposits made outside the U.S. after international evangelical crusades.

— The tax-exempt purpose of items purchased for her ministry's headquarters, such as a $23,000 marble-topped commode, a $30,000 conference table and an $11,219 French clock.

— A detailed accounting of total monthly expenses for upkeep on the Meyers' personal residence, and any vacation homes, from 2004 to the present.

— An explanation of any personal use of the ministries' tax-exempt assets, including "jets, employees, facilities," from 2004 to the present.

— An explanation for how personal gifts from donors, such as money or jewelry, are handled and reported to the IRS.

Comment

Originally posted by I<3Jesus View Post
            I tried getting into her a few years ago. I even bought some of her books, which I have since given to my Mom, at my old church. I just realized one day while watching her that there was something off. I hate to get back into the monetary debate, but I just do not trust anyone who makes a living off selling the word of God. There is absolutely no reason why evangelists need to live like "Hollywood Royalty." I simply cannot trust someone who says I will teach you the tools to get into the kingdom of heaven for a nominal fee.

This causes some kind of.......alarm bell in me too.
            The reason is because I see what He has done with my own heart.
            I used to think about how great it would be to be able to afford a vacation home and a nicer, newer car, etc.
            I work for extremely wealthy people and before, I used to spend my workdays gasping at their homes and wishing for one just like it. I wanted the heated bathroom floors and a pool with a waterfall and a dressing room as big as most peoples entire 1st floor.
            Now, my first thought is: Oh! Imagine how many people could be helped with this kind of money!
            Strangely, the result of my thinking in my heart being changed regarding money was.......... He gave me MORE!
            But I no longer want all those bizarre things. I can't even imagine why I thought I did!

Also though, I think about how much money it takes these "preachers" to air their show (tv time ain't cheap). If it costs you more than a million dollars a day to keep going, something isn't adding up to my mind.

They have wealth that Jesus HIMSELF didn't have while spreading the gospel. And more honor and prestige and fawning followers than HE did.
            If just one of them got on air wearing a kmart dress or payless shoes or a Sears suit, if just one of them pulled up to the studio for taping in a Geo car, I would be much more inclined to listen to their advice. Not because anybody doesn't deserve nice things, but because I have no way to gauge things like this but by comparing what He has done to my heart and by comparing the things He would never allow ME to spend money on for myself.

And no, I don't think He tells each and every one of us to do the same exact things, but His opinions on money and His dire warnings on what it can do to us, I believe these are for ALL of us.

Comment

Good points! I know the cost of air time on secular channels is high, but I am not sure that it effects the people on the privately owned Christian networks. I might be talking out of turn, but I used to be a communications major and the cost of air time on secular channels depends greatly on the time of day and the demographic. I assume (I know what happens when you assume) that it is a bit different on the Christian channels.

Comment

That is nice to know.
                I listen to one of the tv preachers who doesnt dress flashy or try to entertain anyone with music productions. He just sits there in a chair in jeans and a cheap shirt and he really, really makes me think when he talks!

Comment

The tax-exempt purpose of items purchased for her ministry's headquarters, such as a $23,000 marble-topped commode, a $30,000 conference table and an $11,219 French clock.
                  Let's be fair...doesn't everyone have a 23,000 dollar toilet?

Comment

Originally posted by paintdiva View Post
                    That is nice to know.
                    I listen to one of the tv preachers who doesnt dress flashy or try to entertain anyone with music productions. He just sits there in a chair in jeans and a cheap shirt and he really, really makes me think when he talks!
                    Sounds like Gene Scott.

Comment

No!! I DON'T!!!
                      And come to think of it, my cheap, plastic toilet seat has been half broke and sliding around a bit for the last year or so! lol

Another thought occurs to me. It warmed my heart a bit after visiting the links the original poster gave, to see that while the others all received yearly salaries of 500,000 - 1 million a year, that Billy Graham receives 197,000 per year.

How could such steep salaries be justified when most of the people who probably contribute make a tenth of that or less per year? They had their hearts touched and wanted to help others, not buy the preacher a lexus or a marble toilet seat.

I don't want to judge. Is that what I am doing? Or is this a healthy anger that the money christians send is spent so grossly used?

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew 12:21 View Post
                        Let's be fair...doesn't everyone have a 23,000 dollar toilet?
                        Life just isn't worth living without flushing money away, you know...

(ack! The pun police!)
                        One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father over us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Morse View Post
                          Sounds like Gene Scott.
                          I've never heard of Gene Scott but I'm gonna' try to find him now!

I was talking about a fellow named Andrew Wommack.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post

(ack! The pun police!)
                            Your lucky I don't have any rotten eggs in my hand to throw! That was a real groaner! HEEHEEE

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post

(ack! The pun police!)
                              Or putting your money where your mouth is... oh wait, nevermind...
                              Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                              -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

Working...
                              X