Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people die...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When people die...

    I had a question come up that I didn't really have an answer for. When a person dies, do they keep their personality that they had in life in the afterlife? Also, how about their maturity? I have a friend who died when she was 22. If I were to die today (32) and saw her in the afterlife, would she still have the maturity of a 22 year old? So there's a chance that seeing her again we'd almost be more like strangers because I grew up, matured, gleaned experience, whereas she stopped all that at 22.Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this and if there is anything in scripture that tells us about this.

  • #2
    Good question

    I think we will all be like Christ.

    1John.3
    1. [2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    Since in eternity there is no time....age won't exist. I know that is hard to think about- but heaven is beyond what we are capable of imagining.

    Jesus also says after the resurection we shall be like the Angels- and angels are immortal they do not age.

    Luke.20
    1. [36] Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
    God Bless

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Keene View Post
      I had a question come up that I didn't really have an answer for. When a person dies, do they keep their personality that they had in life in the afterlife? Also, how about their maturity? I have a friend who died when she was 22. If I were to die today (32) and saw her in the afterlife, would she still have the maturity of a 22 year old? So there's a chance that seeing her again we'd almost be more like strangers because I grew up, matured, gleaned experience, whereas she stopped all that at 22.Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this and if there is anything in scripture that tells us about this.
      we will not be the same. we will be perfect. Our soul is perfected, we will be polar opposites. We will kow just as we are known

      Comment


      • #4
        Each person though will be unique, and so I imagine some of the traits of our old personalities will remain. A choir wouldn't sound good if everyone's voice was identical.
        Choose you this day whom ye will serve - Joshua 24:15

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Keene View Post
          I had a question come up that I didn't really have an answer for. When a person dies, do they keep their personality that they had in life in the afterlife? Also, how about their maturity? I have a friend who died when she was 22. If I were to die today (32) and saw her in the afterlife, would she still have the maturity of a 22 year old? So there's a chance that seeing her again we'd almost be more like strangers because I grew up, matured, gleaned experience, whereas she stopped all that at 22.Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this and if there is anything in scripture that tells us about this.
          These are deep questions and will not likely be answered in this life.


          What I do believe though is that the real you is not the body you see in the mirror, it is the soul that is within. The soul is your very seat of emotions, your character, your personality. It is your soul which is saved when you receive Jesus as your Saviour:
          Hebrews 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

          Thus when your soul gets to heaven it will be the real you! I tend to think that our maturity in this life will be evident in heaven but I also know that God is going to do a makeover on us all so that we are like Him:
          1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

          Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

          These questions are both mysterious and exciting to think about and discuss, and there is one verse which has spoken to my heart time and time again when it comes to these matters, it declares that it hasn't even entered into our hearts what God has prepared for us in eternity!!
          1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
          - Matt -
          .
          Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
          of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

          Comment


          • #6
            1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
            Wow, this can only mean that its better than what we could think it is..wow.

            When a person dies, do they keep their personality that they had in life in the afterlife?

            I think so. God doesnt want to destroy our Character or personality
            A scripture comes to mind ( a good thing ), where our works will follow us.

            In the fathers house there are many dwelling places.
            And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Soj_NZ View Post
              there is one verse which has spoken to my heart time and time again when it comes to these matters, it declares that it hasn't even entered into our hearts what God has prepared for us in eternity!!
              1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
              Amen! That's my favourite "heaven" verse too! Especially the KJV!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AlainaJ View Post
                Since in eternity there is no time....
                I am going to politely disagree. I know of no scripture that suggests that there will be no time in the life to come. I think we get this idea from vague cultural sources and it is really not Biblical. Can you show me where the scriptures teach that in eternity, there will be no time?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Some of my thoughts about the life to come that I suspect will arouse some discussion:

                  1. Heaven is nice, but you're not going to be there forever. Heaven, if you like, is the place where we "rest" until we are resurrected bodily and are granted eternal life on a remade and transformed earth. This is what the New Testament teaches (I can provide biblical support).

                  2. The idea that we will live out eternity as conscious immaterial "souls" is not in the Scriptures. At our final destination, a remade earth, we will be distinctly "embodied", just like Jesus was after he rose. Paul describes Jesus as the first-fruits and that, at his return, we will be raised bodily. I suggest that Greek ideas about disembodied souls have distorted the true Biblical picture of the life to come.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by drew View Post
                    I am going to politely disagree. I know of no scripture that suggests that there will be no time in the life to come. I think we get this idea from vague cultural sources and it is really not Biblical. Can you show me where the scriptures teach that in eternity, there will be no time?
                    I'm going to jump in here, if I may. I don't know anything for certainty about this but here is something to consider. We are told that God is unchanging. Change relates to time, I believe, so perhaps it is possible to say that God is "outside of" time. Looked at from that perspective, and from the fact that we are told that we now have the Life of Christ in us, perhaps it is possible to say that we also, once our flesh dies and we are no longer bound to the physical world, will live in a spiritual realm which is "outside of time".

                    It's all beyond my intellectual grasp, frankly, but it is a theory I've heard put forth, and I think it may have some merit.
                    Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by drew View Post
                      I am going to politely disagree. I know of no scripture that suggests that there will be no time in the life to come. I think we get this idea from vague cultural sources and it is really not Biblical. Can you show me where the scriptures teach that in eternity, there will be no time?

                      Im actually not convinced there is no time either. He speaks of everlasting life. Adam and Eve would have had that type of life had they not sinned, and they had time. The more I read the Bible, the more I'm starting to realize that heaven as we so often think of it will be this earth completely redone. We will have cities (see New Jerusalem). We will have duties. It's the Kingdom of Heaven. A kingdom is a place with a ruler and different people working at different levels. That doesn't mean there is no time. God created the original creation and said it was VERY GOOD. Time was a part of that, as were animals, as were plants. God is eternal which means His mind hasn't changed about the original creation being very good. I just think it's gonna be like creation one, before the fall with more people there at it's inception (the millions and millions of Christians). That's how I view it. God created the habitat, then the man. He created the habitat special for us. We wrecked it. He's gonna fix it along with us so we don't wreck it again, cause we totally would, even with all Christians and Jesus there in our presence, I still think we would screw it up without Him renewing our souls.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by drew View Post
                        Some of my thoughts about the life to come that I suspect will arouse some discussion:

                        1. Heaven is nice, but you're not going to be there forever. Heaven, if you like, is the place where we "rest" until we are resurrected bodily and are granted eternal life on a remade and transformed earth. This is what the New Testament teaches (I can provide biblical support).

                        2. The idea that we will live out eternity as conscious immaterial "souls" is not in the Scriptures. At our final destination, a remade earth, we will be distinctly "embodied", just like Jesus was after he rose. Paul describes Jesus as the first-fruits and that, at his return, we will be raised bodily. I suggest that Greek ideas about disembodied souls have distorted the true Biblical picture of the life to come.
                        Yes, but the bodies we will be raised with are spiritual bodies.

                        1 Cor 15:44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

                        Could this mean that the "transformed earth" may be a spiritual one, which this physical [natural] world is only a shadow of?
                        Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I agree with Drew. This is just a guess or an opinion but I think we will care about time do to all the revelation prediction such as the 1000 years of peace. After all of revelation has come true who knows maybe time wont mater.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Pleroo View Post
                            Yes, but the bodies we will be raised with are spiritual bodies.

                            1 Cor 15:44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

                            Could this mean that the "transformed earth" may be a spiritual one, which this physical [natural] world is only a shadow of?
                            The spiritual body is still a body though. It is not made of flesh and blood, but rather something else. I feel it will be like Jesus body after his rez. Different, glorified, but not flesh and blood. It obviously couldn't have been flesh and blood because he seemed to come and go as he pleased. He had holes in His body that weren't pouring out blood. And I do believe the earth will be different, but it will be a dwelling place with cities and places to go.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Pleroo View Post
                              Yes, but the bodies we will be raised with are spiritual bodies.
                              I think that to read "spiritual body" as a thing that is not "physical" is to not use the word "spiritual" as Paul does in other parts of 1 Corinthians 15 (if not elsewhere). For Paul, a "spiritual" body has arms, legs, a head, hands, etc. The risen Christ has a "spiritual" body and he obviously has hands, legs, a face, etc.

                              I do not have the time now, but later I will try to give the evidence that we should read "spiritual body" not as "free-floating disembodied entity" but rather as "transformed and perfected physical body".

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X