X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Did You Receive Your Tongues?

Hello all those that speak in tongues!

Sorry for not creating a poll properly. I followed the direction in FAQ, but I don't see the "Yes Post a Poll" checkbox at the bottom of the page, so I guess you will have to bear with my shortcomings in this survey.

So on with the survey!

How did you receive your tongues? Be it "prayer language" or the "gift"?

#1. I prayed to the Holy Spirit for it.

#2. I prayed to Jesus for it.

#3. I prayed to Both for it.

#4. I prayed to the Father for it.

#5. I prayed to All of Them for it.

#6. I was just praying and then it happened.

#7. I was saved and then it happened.

#8. Other

God be willing, I shall not even post a reply to any post in this thread. I just want to gather information... so feel free to share!

Oh, and for some reason I feel the need to share this, let none that speak in tongues attack anyone else for speaking in tongues as to how they sought it. This is just a survey. Not a debate. And please don't challenge me to reply. You all know I don't speak in tongues, and nor do I seek to. I am content with Jesus. He is enough for me.

So feel free to share how you received the tongues for the very first time.

I asked according to Acts 2:4 for the baptism of the Holy Ghost. WhenI was baptised I came up out of the water speaking in tongues.

The ole man to me (in my mind) had literally died, I came up brand new
    It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Originally posted by poorinspirit View Post
      About 25 - 30 years ago I had been telling the Lord I wanted more of Him in my life . . . then I was at a meeting and the speaker said we should all ask God for the Gift of Tongues. As it was the first time I'd heard consentrated teaching on those parts of Scripture I mulled over this for about 10 days, then told the Lord I could see no benefit in speaking Tongues but if it was a Gift He wanted to give me I was happy to receive it. About 10 days later I realised the song I was singing (in which there was a lot of repitition) was not in English and I hadn't heard the tune before, so kept singing it over and over until I got home to put it on tape. . . a few days later, while singing it I started singing it in English, and sure enough there was a lot of repitition. . . I have since discovered the Gift has enormous value as I am able to pray for what is the Lord's Will for folk without my ideas getting in the way. . . . and also all the other Gifts are available to me as, and when, I need them.

ps. the 'language' is not always the same.

Comment

I didn't do anything .......I was just praying one day, it was about a year after I was saved and I just started speaking in some "language".

I was also there when the same thing happened to my husband. We were prayng and then he just started talking another "language."

Alaina
        Last edited by AlainaJ; Nov 9th 2007, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I had "heard" of this-(the Baptism in the Holy Spirit), but I didn't attend a church that taught it-and I just wasn't sure what was right and what wasnt'. For awhile, I believed it was something real and for me, then I'd hear another preacher and go the opposite way-first believing, then not believing it-finally, I began to seek the Lord Jesus Christ on this matter-and asked Him to teach me if it was right or wrong. Over a period of about 4 months He taught me through the scriptures that He wanted all of His children to receive-so I asked Jesus to baptise me in the Holy Spirit-but for quite a while-nothing happened-no bolts of lightning, nobody moved my mouth for me, and I just couldn't quite "get it". Then one night I had a dream and woke up praying in a language I didn't know. But dense as I am-I still wasn't convinced. (I thought it was just a dream) A couple weeks later-I was praying alone in my dining room and asked Him "once again" to baptise me. I had a short "vision" for lack of a better term-of Jesus walking toward me-I was so humbled I couldn't look up at Him-but could clearly see His sandaled feet and the Hem of His garment-He had His Hand outstretched-and when He laid His Hands on my head-I fell to the floor on my knees-praying in a language I didn't know-the room drifted into the background and there was only Him. He is Love-manifested.
          He changed me from someone who was "religious" to someone who absolutly fell in love with the King of Kings. Totally different relationship.

So, to answer your question--JESUS is the One who baptised me in the Holy Spirit---

"there is coming one who is mightier than I, it is He who baptises with the Holy Spirit"

As far as the "gift" of tongues-where one speaks in a church service-and the interpretation comes forth.===about a year or so after that-the Lord used me in that gift. I maybe have been used in that gift 6 or 7 times in my life-but tongues, as prayer and praise-much more often.

Comment

Despite the fact that I'd almost rather stab my eyeballs with an ice pick that participate in these types of threads (Godsgirl...you have more stamina and patience that I can muster!), I'll share my account as posted in another thread, only because it's already been written and I am NOT ashamed of the experiences of my faith.

----------------------------
            I attended a cessationist Bible Church for a few years, and was a strict cessationist myself. Although I had always, from the day of my conversion, been very sensitive to the workings and presence of the Holy Spirit, I never sought more, nor did I believe in anything outside of the initial filling of the Holy Spirit upon salvation.

Then last year the Lord started to open my heart to His gifts and as I started to dig more into the Bible, I came to understand that the initial filling of the Holy Spirit and the baptism of the Spirit were two separate events (I came to this understanding on my own....it was one of those LIGHT BULB moments, if you will. )

Around this time, I left the Bible church I had been attending and ended up at a church affiliated with the Assemblies of God. Although looking back now, the Spirit was not moving much in the church, it did renew my desire to seek the Lord more intensely. I prayed to Him that if it was His will that I should be baptized in the Spirit and receive His gifts, I was open and willing for it.

After I prayed, I didn't think anything of it. Then a few weeks later, I was in my bedroom praying, and the Holy Spirit came upon me and I started speaking in tongues. And for a period of several weeks, I would go hours and hours and hours praying in tongues, to the point where I would often just give out in exhaustion. Eventually, it leveled off and was not so intense.

Around this time, the Lord started really working in my life. He called me into a life of holiness and little by little started purging every profane thing from my life. I drew much closer to the Lord, abounding in love for Him, growing in obedience and faithfulness, which I fully attribute to the power of the Holy Spirit given to me through the baptism. I have also been given a boldness in sharing the gospel that I never had before.

(There was more, but that was all of the tongues part).
            My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poorinspirit View Post
              Hello all those that speak in tongues!

Sorry for not creating a poll properly. I followed the direction in FAQ, but I don't see the "Yes Post a Poll" checkbox at the bottom of the page, so I guess you will have to bear with my shortcomings in this survey.

So on with the survey!

Vertical Reality, our pastor and myself were praying in VR's basement. and it just happened. That was in august of 06

Comment

Originally posted by cross crusader View Post
                Vertical Reality, our pastor and myself were praying in VR's basement. and it just happened. That was in august of 06
                Awesome.

My Blog

Comment

I first spoke in a new tongue when I was about 2 years old. living in a log cabin in a holler in the back woods of Kentucky. My first words were DaDa and Mama. Later I learned Pawpaw and MawMaw, then after that the words just started pouring out. I spoke about everything in this new tongue. I didn't have control over any thing and i found myself asking for biscuits, milk, molasses butter taters and later I even talked about eating chickens, rabbits and lots of other stuff.
                  My tongue wasn't original with me. A fellow by the name of John Wyclif started translating some of the Latin Vulgate into a new tongue in the 1380's. Later, a group known as the Lollards picked up this tongue and began spreading the gospel over England in this new language. This new tongue was English
                  From England, the tongue spread like wildfire to a new nation, to be called The United States of America and down through the years has been the tongue most used by God to make the gospel of Jesus Christ understandable to the whole world.
                  I've spoken this language in prayer and have had God open the windows of Heaven and pour out spiritual, material and physical blessings beyond measure.
                  I've spoken in this tongue to people and seen the Holy Spirit dig deep within the soul and spirit of the hearers and change them into new creatures in Christ.
                  I've spoken it to my children and seen them grow up with a holy reverence and Godly love for Jesus Christ.
                  I read this tongue daily--have for years--- and not once have I ever had God not speak to me personally from it.
                  I don't want to sound disrespectful, but really, I don't need another language (tongue means language) since God gives me everything I need in English.
                  In Christ,
                  Dave
                  In Christ,
                  Dave

Revelations 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Comment

Originally posted by AliveinChristDave View Post
                    I first spoke in a new tongue when I was about 2 years old. living in a log cabin in a holler in the back woods of Kentucky. My first words were DaDa and Mama. Later I learned Pawpaw and MawMaw, then after that the words just started pouring out. I spoke about everything in this new tongue. I didn't have control over any thing...

The natural world is a shadow of the spiritual. As you say, in the natural, you didn't have control over learning a new language ... it just poured out of you sometime after your birth. First you babbled and then eventually you began to speak intelligible words. This is the natural way of a child.

You didn't make it happen and I would venture to say that the children of God have no control over our spirit speaking a spiritual language.

My tongue wasn't original with me.
                    Just as our natural language does not originate with us, it would make sense to me that our spiritual language does not either. It seems our spirits would naturally speak in the language of our "mother country" -- whether we be in the kingdom of darkness or the Kingdom of Light.

I don't know if we will speak that spiritual language with our physical tongues. I personally do not, but it seems clear to me from Scripture that some did. Our God in His mercy allows us to experience the spiritual world through natural means ... bread, wine, water, etc. As a matter of fact He sent His Word to us in a physical body.

If God blesses some people by allowing them to experience speaking the spiritual language with their physical tongue, praise Him! And, if in His wisdom, He has chosen to allow others to speak the language of the spirit only in their spirit, then praise Him! He knows each of us and knows our needs.

But regardless, I believe those who have been born again all speak with a new tongue. As AliveinChristDave has said, it's a natural part of growth.
                    Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

Originally posted by AliveinChristDave View Post
                      I don't want to sound disrespectful...
                      Then why bother posting what you did? You could have easily stepped away from the thread without posting in it.
                      My Blog

Comment

This thread is not necessary considering all of the others... so we'll close it.

Visit our new website
                        ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                        "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Working...
                        X