How do you answer this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you answer this?

Well a non believer said to me... Why would you love a God when all the things in the world are going on... He said it in quite a different way but thats kind of how I took it... I couldn't answer him... I'm not going to say "He didn't say it would be easy..etc" Cause that doesn't really send the message.. Any scriptures on this?

Edit:

Example some people say they wouldn't want to worship a God of evolution because of the extremely terrible things the animals have to go through in order to "evolve" Kent Hovind tells us about that as well... (Mormons are a good example...) But with all the things going on in the world wouldn't that seem like a cruel God to you to if you were uneducated?

Scott, I got this in email awhile back and have posted it. It's perfect for what your situation is:

Don't Believe God Exists...
    A lady went to a beauty shop to have her hair cut and her nails painted
    and trimmed. As the lady began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the beautician said: "I don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked Sheryl who has MS.

"Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

Then Sheryl thought for a moment, but didn't respond because she didn't want to start an argument. The beautician just finished her job and the customer left the shop.

Just after she left the beauty shop, she saw a woman in the street with
    long, stringy, dirty hair and not groomed at all. She looked dirty and unkempt. Then Sheryl turned back and entered the beauty shop again and
    she said to the beautician: "You know what? Beauticians do not
    exist."

"How can you say that?" asked the surprised beautician. "I am here, and I am a beautician. And I just worked on you!"

"No!" Sheryl exclaimed. "Beauticians don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and be very unkempt, like that woman outside."

"Ah, but beauticians DO exist! What happens is, people do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed Sheryl. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him. That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."
    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Thats a bit of a kiddie story no offense... Tons of people who pray with their entire hearts still have tons of bad things happen to them...

Comment

Praying for everything in your heart and following the path that God has laid out for you may be in opposite directions. Seeking God's will usually works instead of attempting to bend God to your will as people pray their hearts out for all the things and fixes "they" want.

The story may be kiddie but it's the truth when you look at it as a child would understand the meaning of the story.
        Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

To understand the reason why things are how they are now, it is necessary to go back in history and find out what happened.
          The creation, the fall. Even the geological formations that we wonder at can be accounted for by knowing history. The flood about 4000 years ago caused the earth to be how it is now, abundance of water, fossils etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottizzle View Post
            Well a non believer said to me... Why would you love a God when all the things in the world are going on......?
            Hi Scott,

I was that way once. I had a hard time understanding about God, even after I became a Christian. I still had lots of questions. I think you have to pray about how to answer this person, because we all seem to need a personal God, we need our own experience of knowing Him.

Something that was, and still is, very meaningful to me was when I did a deep study of the Bible to understand who Satan is, and what the Bible says about the relationship between God and Satan. I now understand that there is a war going on in the spiritual world. God does not make these terrible things happen. I still don't fully understand why He allows it, but I know for certain that it has a purpose.

And I also am firmly convinced that we humans are on one side or the other, in this war. As Christians, we fight alongside Jesus. But we do not fight with guns and knives. How we fight in this war has eternal significance. It isn't just the 90 years or so that we live, but it is all eternity that is in view.

Why would I love God? Because God is good, and His enemy is evil. I want to be on God's side, not on Satan's side.
            Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
            23 Guard your heart above all else,
            for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
              Praying for everything in your heart and following the path that God has laid out for you may be in opposite directions. Seeking God's will usually works instead of attempting to bend God to your will as people pray their hearts out for all the things and fixes "they" want.
              So if we want our pet hamster Marvin to keep living and we pray with our hearts that doesn't mean anything? Hmmm When I say heart I mean heart and soul I don't mean for 5 million dollars in the trunk of my car WANT.

Comment

So if we want our pet hamster Marvin to keep living and we pray with our hearts that doesn't mean anything? Hmmm When I say heart I mean heart and soul I don't mean for 5 million dollars in the trunk of my car WANT.
                Don't forget to put "faith" in the prayer equation
                Slug1--out

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                  Don't forget to put "faith" in the prayer equation

I am very thankful for all the things I have and for God blessing me with riches you cannot buy... I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world... That includes my baby boy, Tiger. People might think I'm weird because I treat him like a small child.

Comment

I am very thankful for all the things I have and for God blessing me with riches you cannot buy... I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world... That includes my baby boy, Tiger. People might think I'm weird because I treat him like a small child.
                    You just nailed it on the head... this is exactly what you need to tell your friend who doesn't believe in God. The #1 way to evangelize isn't tons of Biblical knowledge but instead to "show" others what God has done in your life. How your life was before God and how it's now that God is in control. If you are blessed, then he can be just as blessed by putting faith in God and surrendering himself to God... And you are the person that God has put in your friends path to be that example.

OK, I just reread your OP, so if this person isn't a friend... everything I said still applies
                    Slug1--out

Comment

I think Slug's story was very relevant, even if you do think it was a 'kiddie' story.

The Bible is very clear about why there is suffering in the world. The original creation had no suffering, violence, death, evil, or pain in it. It was all very good. The problems in the world are a direct result of man's sin. When man sinned, the whole creation was affected and subjected to futility.

But there is a promise of a restoration, and that is part of our hope as Christians. We believe that God is good, we believe that He created everything good, and we believe that He will restore all things.
                      Rom 8:18-25

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
                      NKJV
                      Love In Christ,
                      Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya... That helps a bit as well... Today I got down because on this TV show my g/f left on "7th Heaven" it was about a woman who was in a concentration camp... Etc.. etc.. It just got me thinking about the future and how it might go... I just got shook up even thought I know this show is about teaching responsibilities to youngsters or whatever on various things... It just got to me in a different way..

Comment

Well a non believer said to me... Why would you love a God when all the things in the world are going on... He said it in quite a different way but thats kind of how I took it... I couldn't answer him... I'm not going to say "He didn't say it would be easy..etc" Cause that doesn't really send the message.. Any scriptures on this?

Edit:

Example some people say they wouldn't want to worship a God of evolution because of the extremely terrible things the animals have to go through in order to "evolve" Kent Hovind tells us about that as well... (Mormons are a good example...) But with all the things going on in the world wouldn't that seem like a cruel God to you to if you were uneducated?
                          He does seem cruel to those who dont understand Him. Even some christians cannot figure out this question, but here is the answer. Our Perfect God set up rules and laws and guidelines that even He cannot break. because if He broke them then He wouldn't be perfect. For lack of a better analogy He kinda put himself into a box, that is why it is up to us to carry out His will on earth as it is in Heaven. That is why we have the Keys, we as believers have the authority to change things here on earth, But the majority doesnt realize that. So it is not really God allowing these things to happen, it is us, christians.

Comment

I can understand that. The hope of the believer is in the resurrection, and our entrance into the kingdom of heaven when we will dwell with God and He with us. At that time there will be no more of the things that cause pain now.

This is what we have to look forward to:
                            Rev 21:1-8

Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

5 Then He who sat on the throne said,"Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful."

6 And He said to me,"It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. 7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

As we remember the promises and warnings in Scripture, it will motivate us to live godly lives and look forward to those things that God has in store for us.

Love In Christ,
                            Tanya

Comment

Edit:

1 Corinthians 4:9 For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men.

Don't know if that helps, hope it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X