The weapons of our warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weapons of our warfare

I am going to be studying the weapons of our warfare. My pastor hinted at this a few months ago and since I have been in some spiritual battles lately, the Lord has prompted me to do a little digging. So I thought I would start a thread here and see what others might have to say.

What are the weapons that we use in warfare? I am more interested in weapons than armor, but I am open to discussing armor as long as it can be shown how it applies to offensive warring instead of defensive.

2 Cor 10:3-6
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, 4 for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. 5 We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, 6 and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete.
    NASU

So, what are the weapons the Lord has given us in our battles against the enemy?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

The Word of God (sword of the spirit) is the primary weapon with which we wage spiritual warfare.
    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

I'll start by giving one we are all aware of and one we may not be aware of...

1. The sword of the Lord, the word of God. We see this used by Christ against Satan in the desert. The sword is certainly an offensive weapon used in warfare.

2. Praise and/or worship music like the Psalms! When Saul had a spirit on him, he would call David to praise God with his harp and the spirit would leave.

1 Sam 16:23
      23 So it came about whenever the evil spirit from God came to Saul, David would take the harp and play it with his hand; and Saul would be refreshed and be well, and the evil spirit would depart from him.
      NASU
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

I think the place to start would be the sword, which is the Word of God. Granted, it's part of the armor, but it certainly has the power to divide assunder soul and spirit, joint and marrow, it's powerful and active and sharper than any two-edged sword. (Hebrews 6:12 and Ephesians 6:17 (?)) The Word of God has the power to break the lies of the enemy with it's truth, to shed the light of the gospel in places of darkness, to tear the veil over people's minds so that the gospel can come shining in.

Yep, I think the Word of God is perhaps the most powerful weapon we have!
        Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by JerAyala View Post
          The Word of God (sword of the spirit) is the primary weapon with which we wage spiritual warfare.
          True enough. You beat me to that one. But there are many other weapons we have at our disposal. But the word of God, the sword, is a very powerful weapon against the enemy.
          NASU

Comment

Ooooh...worship music. Nice one, brother Mark! The Presence of God that comes through true praise and worship from a pure heart can break the yoke of the enemy on people's lives and be a vessel of the power of God to break the power of the devil over a person's mind, spirit, and body.

One time I was leading worship at a conference when one muslim man came forward, confessing he had been seeking God for 30 years and wanted to give his life to Jesus because of the undeniable presence of God in that place. Awesome to see God touch and change lives like that!

So yeah, praise and worship is certainly one too!
            Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Comment

I also agree with your praise statement.

Another equally great weapon is prayer. Well it's more like hand-to-hand combat.

Comment

I also agree with your praise statement.

Another equally great weapon is prayer. Well it's more like hand-to-hand combat.
                Yea, I agree. Want to throw in some scripture about prayer being a weapon? I think we will be amazed at how many weapons we have at our disposal.
                NASU

Comment

How about God himself? The very finger of God...

Luke 11:20-21
                  20 "But if I cast out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
                  NASU

Ex 8:18-19
                  19 Then the magicians said to Pharaoh, " This is the finger of God." But Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he did not listen to them, as the Lord had said.
                  NASU

And this goes along with one of my all time favorites...

Humility. For humility and the finger of God work together.

1 Peter 5:6-10

6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. 8 Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.
                  NASU

When we humble ourselves under the might hand of God, God will use that same hand to lift us up so that we can rule and reign with him. His finger will then go against the enemy in our behalf.
                  NASU

Comment

The one I always think of is Matthew 26:41.

Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Comment

The one I always think of is Matthew 26:41.

Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
                      Excellent! I love it! That was meant for me today. Thanks.

Here's another...

Matt 17:19-21

19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not drive it out?" 20 And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. 21 [" But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."]
                      NASU

Faith is not only defensive, but an offensive weapon. With it, we speak to mountains (high places of worship) and they move! But this kind of faith comes from prayer and fasting. Faith is often viewed as defensive, but without it, we will not move on the offensive. And it is also a weapon to be used against the enemy in an offensive manner.

So there are 3 more weapons.... prayer, fasting, and faith.
                      NASU

Comment

Ephesians 6:
                        18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Prayer is a very important part as well. Staying in touch with our Lord and Savior is like grasping His hand tighter during spiritual battles, knowing what Paul said in the beginning of this passage is true.

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

The war is won, we stand with (behind) the most powerful leader of this army.
                        He has already won the war, but there will be battles left for us to fight. Because we are aliens in a foreign country/world. We are in this world, but not of this world.
                        Hell....the nightmare you can't wake up from.

Sin is like electricity, it takes the path of least resistance. (the shortest path to ground).

Jesus said He is “The Way”, not “A” way. Jesus said He is “the Truth”, not “A” truth. Jesus said He is “The Life”, not “A” life. No man comes to the Father but by Me. Are we serving a man or are we serving God?

Comment

Oh, wow! Great topic

What are the weapons that we use in warfare?
                          I use:

1. Prayer. I believe there is GREAT, ENORMOUS power in prayer!
                          2. Word of God. I meditate on God's Word day and night. Anything that Satan has conjured up for my detriment, God will turn it into something good for me.
                          3. God Himself of course. I know that God loves ME! He chose me; He will never forget me and knows my every need before I ask Him for such. I love these two verses (Isaiah 49:15-16)

I know that whoever tries to come against me will have to take on God Himself. And, no one can stand their ground against God.

I guess bottom line is, for me, being firm in my knowledge and belief that God loves me and is there for me no matter what. Knowing this is step #1 for me in my arsenal. David knew that he would beat Goliath. I believe that he knew in his heart that he could not be defeated even by a giant because he had the greatest warrior right there next to him guiding him - God.

#2 for me would be prayer.

I think that I've always been in the defensive position when it's come to warfare. I don't recall having to be offensive in my life and actually taking the position of the aggressor. I don't even know of a situation that would have me become an aggressor

Comment

Originally posted by moltenflower View Post
                            I think that I've always been in the defensive position when it's come to warfare. I don't recall having to be offensive in my life and actually taking the position of the aggressor. I don't even know of a situation that would have me become an aggressor
                            Yup. As we should be. We are to be "slow to take offense." You'll see throughout the scriptures that God is very slow to go on the offensive.

I find that Love is always the most potent weapon in defense and offense. Kill em with kindness, as the Lord did.

Comment

Am offering my 2 cents worth of what I have found to be the best weapons I have when facing any enemy are my "two knees" and to bend them..then my "two heels", remembering to "dig then in" when I kneel.

‘Submit to God,’ is the way James put it in James 4:7. Letting God control my life. In this I know the war has already been fought and won, it is simply now down to the battles left to endure and often needing Him to do the navigating through them in the war zone of sin. That's why I use those two knee's God gave me.. it reminds me that but for the grace of Christ, I once was on the wrong side of this war..

Secondly, as for the "digging the heels in"...

That’s resisting. It’s standing up for your rights in the sense of knowing what it means to be a child of Christ and that battle is for the Fathers Glory, not mine.. It’s refusing to be cheated out of something Father has given me. It’s preventing a con artist from walking off with things that cost my Father greatly.

This position for me personally affirms everything the Word has told us we need to know and remember when encountering temptation and how to overcome sin..Eve knew it but did did not remember this, Adam knew it yet ignored it..

Get rid of all moral filth – James 1:21

Rid yourselves of all malice . . . deceit, hypocrisy, etc – 1 Peter 2:1
                              Put on the new self – Colossians 3:10
                              Put aside the deeds of darkness – Romans 13:12
                              Put off your old self – Ephesians 4:22
                              Put to death . . . whatever belongs to your earthly nature – Colossians 3:5 Throw off . . . the sin that so easily entangles – Hebrew 12:1

are just some of the many warnings and teachings of "putting off sin" and of course putting on the Armour Of God to do so..but I think there's an important step before doing this and it requires knee's that will bend..and heels that will obey

Remember Jesus, in the garden dripping blood-like sweat, praying ‘with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him’ (Hebrews 5:7) as he stammers, ‘Nevertheless not my will . . .’ Remember Jesus in agony on the cross, when he could have called legions of angels to his rescue. ‘He learned obedience by what he suffered,’ (Hebrew 5:8).

Holiness is not reaching the point where temptation loses its attraction. Satan is a pro at making manure smell like perfume. Holiness is choosing God’s way when it seems every fiber of your being is crying out for the devil’s way.

"On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand." —My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less, Edward Mote

Comment

Working...
                              X